What to do in Puerto Vallarta for the day?

** Please post your recommendations ONLY in response to request...do not start a new thread. Thanks!
Mexican Riviera
Includes: Acapulco, Cabo San Lucas, Loreto, Manzanillo, Mazatlan, Pichilingue/La Paz, Puerto Vallarta, Topolobampo & Zihuatanejo/Ixtapa, Mexico

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 03:20 PM.
wy.
138 Posts
Joined Oct 2011
I have a question are there vans available we have 11 of us going to the aqua adventure park in Nuevo san Lucas about 30 min away only about 10-12 miles what should the approx. fare be and I noticed your statement that the transportation in the port only delivers so how can I arrange transportation back
thanks
Coolville,OH
4,045 Posts
Joined Feb 2002
If we start at Rosita's and walk the Malecon, where is the best place to get a taxi back to the ship?
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Carnival Jubilee, RCL Monarch of the Seas, Carnival Pride, Carnival Inspiration, RCL Radiance of the Seas, Golden Princess, Coral Princess, Carnival Legend, RCL Grandeur of the Seas, Celebrity Century, HAL Zuiderdam, Caribbean Princess, Celebrity Summit, Norwegian Crown, Carnival Triumph, RCL Legend of the Seas, RCL Liberty of the Seas, RCL Rhapsody of the Seas, Carnival Dream, HAL Veendam, HAL Eurodam, RCL Serenade of the Seas
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
2,822 Posts
Joined Jan 2005
Originally posted by Coolcruise02
If we start at Rosita's and walk the Malecon, where is the best place to get a taxi back to the ship?
There are, literally, hundreds of taxis along the length of the Malecon. The city taxis are regulated and fares are established by zones. There is a zone boundary at the Cuale river (separates downtown from the Los Muertos beach area). If saving a few pesos is important, then get your taxi on the downtown side of the river.

Know that Federal port/airport taxis charge per person in USD's to take you out/off port property. City taxis operate outside the port/airport properties, can take you anywhere you need to go, charge per taxi ride and point-to-point fares are regulated. These regulated fares are established in Pesos and are publicly displayed in the lobby of every hotel. If you choose to pay in USD's, then it is open season on tourists and you will be bartering with the driver on the fare just like it was a t-shirt. I have no information on Uber.

Enjoy!

Sent from my SM-T700 using Forums mobile app
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
~~~~~~~~~~~~
Paul & Marilyn
Cheesehead Country - Go Badgers!
Sailing before the wind on Lake Michigan aboard our 35' cruise ship !!

Sapphire Princess - SE Asia / Malaysian Pen. & Indonesia 21-day Cruise 01/2018
Adventure of the Seas - Southern Caribbean (60th B/Day) Cruise 06/2017
Coral Princess - Alaska CruiseTour 06/2016
Emerald Princess - Eastern Caribbean 03/2014
Coral Princess - Panama Canal Transit 3/2010
Royal Clipper - Windward Islands (Caribbean) 3/2009
Grand Princess - Western Caribbean 03/2006
Golden Princess - Classic Southern Caribbean 04/2005
Norwegian Sea - Western Caribbean 04/2003
Carnival Elation - Mexican Riviera 02/2002
Carnival Mardi Gras - Bahamas Early 80's
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
2,822 Posts
Joined Jan 2005
Originally posted by torringtonwyo
I have a question are there vans available we have 11 of us going to the aqua adventure park in Nuevo san Lucas about 30 min away only about 10-12 miles what should the approx. fare be and I noticed your statement that the transportation in the port only delivers so how can I arrange transportation back
thanks
I don't have an answer for your specific question. I can tell you that the Federal port will have larger vehicles but I'm not sure if they can accommodate a party of 11 in one vehicle. The Puerto Vallarta city taxis can accommodate up to 4 passengers (although minivan are starting to appear). The water park is located in the neighboring Nayarit State. The taxi companies (unions) have great political power in this area. Rules are strictly enforced. Port taxis can take you anywhere but can't pick up any passengers outside the port. Vallarta city taxis can take you anywhere but can't pick up passengers inside the port or in the neighboring Nayarit State. Taxis in Nayarit State can take you anywhere as long as the pick you up in Nayarit.

So . . . Your return transportation from the water park will have to be a Nayarit taxis and they are typically able to carry a maximum of 4 passengers per vehicle. The price per taxi may be higher than Vallarta taxis because the will have to drive back to Nuevo Vallarta (Nayarit) empty.

I suggest you ask your question in a separate thread with a title that will draw answers from people that have made the trip to the Aqua Adventure water park in Nuevo Vallarta.

Enjoy!

Sent from my SM-T700 using Forums mobile app
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
~~~~~~~~~~~~
Paul & Marilyn
Cheesehead Country - Go Badgers!
Sailing before the wind on Lake Michigan aboard our 35' cruise ship !!

Sapphire Princess - SE Asia / Malaysian Pen. & Indonesia 21-day Cruise 01/2018
Adventure of the Seas - Southern Caribbean (60th B/Day) Cruise 06/2017
Coral Princess - Alaska CruiseTour 06/2016
Emerald Princess - Eastern Caribbean 03/2014
Coral Princess - Panama Canal Transit 3/2010
Royal Clipper - Windward Islands (Caribbean) 3/2009
Grand Princess - Western Caribbean 03/2006
Golden Princess - Classic Southern Caribbean 04/2005
Norwegian Sea - Western Caribbean 04/2003
Carnival Elation - Mexican Riviera 02/2002
Carnival Mardi Gras - Bahamas Early 80's
San Diego
528 Posts
Joined Mar 2008
How reliable are the tours at the port when your ship arrives? My friend and I know we want to do snorkeling and swimming without vendors bothering us. She isn't sure about the HAL Las Caletas excursion although that's my top choice. Would we find anything similar being offered upon arrival? We'd like to get back mid-afternoon then go into town to stroll and have a drink - she has been before long ago and wants to see how it's changed. My friend also remembers going to a restaurant decades ago in a cave with a waterfall - we tried googling pictures but nothing looked familiar to her. Not to much to go on but any guesses?

She also wants to pick up a couple of products in a drug store hoping less expensive than the US - I said WalMart!
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Noordam March 2013
Enchantment of the Seas November 2009
Mariner of the Seas July 2008

Carnival Sensation July 2004
Independence (Mississippi River) 1984
Cunard Princess (Alaska) 1981
New Cumberland,PA, USA
30,797 Posts
Joined May 2000
Originally posted by Tabbymom
How reliable are the tours at the port when your ship arrives? My friend and I know we want to do snorkeling and swimming without vendors bothering us. She isn't sure about the HAL Las Caletas excursion although that's my top choice. Would we find anything similar being offered upon arrival? We'd like to get back mid-afternoon then go into town to stroll and have a drink - she has been before long ago and wants to see how it's changed. My friend also remembers going to a restaurant decades ago in a cave with a waterfall - we tried googling pictures but nothing looked familiar to her. Not to much to go on but any guesses?

She also wants to pick up a couple of products in a drug store hoping less expensive than the US - I said WalMart!
The Las Caletas excursion is only offered through Vallarta Adventures (who contracts with the ships) since they have exclusive rights to the piece of land where you go on that tour. There is nothing else comparable...if that is how you want to spend your day.

As to drugs, it is really hit/miss. We have found some drugs in Mexico that are priced better then in the USA...but many others actually cost more. And for those that have some kind of drug insurance at home, buying in Mexico is generally not a bargain. Walmart is fine as are quite a few pharmacies such as Guadalajara Pharmacy. I think that Costco has the best drug prices on many items, but that store is not convenient to the cruise port.

Your restaurant got me thinking, but despite dining in more than 50 restaurants a year (in PV) I have no clue. And if it was "decades ago" if it exists it would likely be under different ownership to changed. Probably the most picturesque restaurant for lunch is the Ocean Grill, but they have gone through some difficult times (closed for quite a while) so we will no longer recommend that place until we have a chance to check it out on our own.

Hank
New Mexico
5,520 Posts
Joined Apr 2011
Originally posted by Hlitner

Probably the most picturesque restaurant for lunch is the Ocean Grill, but they have gone through some difficult times (closed for quite a while) so we will no longer recommend that place until we have a chance to check it out on our own.

Hank
Hank: What is your opinion of the River Cafe for lunch?
San Diego
528 Posts
Joined Mar 2008
My friend added that the mystery waterfall/cave restaurant was somewhat of a drive out of town up into hills. I hadn’t really thought it was on the waterfront LOL.

She wants to buy Voltaren Gel, which is over the counter as well as prescription.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Noordam March 2013
Enchantment of the Seas November 2009
Mariner of the Seas July 2008

Carnival Sensation July 2004
Independence (Mississippi River) 1984
Cunard Princess (Alaska) 1981