Metal Detector

akeasley

My DH and I were visiting St Thomas last week and went to Magens Bay Beach where he was upset to find out he couldn't use his metal detector. He had brought a small one that could be used under water. Other than Coki Beach (since I've only read bad things) is there a beach in St. Thomas that allows metal detectors? He was able to use on in SXM and was thrilled.

Thanks!

It could be because you aren't supposed to remove anything but seaglass from VI beaches or water except fish in areas outside protected areas. Take only photos.

You mean he isn't supposed to find wedding bands or other jewelry worth $$$ and if he does throw them back in the ocean? :confused:

If anybody finds something of value legally they are supposed to find the rightful owner. Finders Keepers isn't legal in US. Google it.

There's an island in Italy that is coming people approximately $3,000 for taking sand. The National Park on St John fined some people for removing wood from a beach. If everybody takes things from the environment there won't be much left for others to enjoy.

If anybody finds something of value legally they are supposed to find the rightful owner. Finders Keepers isn't legal in US. Google it.

There's an island in Italy that is coming people approximately $3,000 for taking sand. The National Park on St John fined some people for removing wood from a beach. If everybody takes things from the environment there won't be much left for others to enjoy.

Ok, thanks for your thoughts and opinions. If anyone out there can actually answer my question, it'd be much appreciated!

Ok, thanks for your thoughts and opinions. If anyone out there can actually answer my question, it'd be much appreciated!

Brewers Bay would probably be a good choice. No lifeguards so nobody to tell you not to do it. Smith Bay would be the same rules as Megans. Hull Bay, Sapphire, Great Bay would also be places to try. You are never going to find someplace that allows metal detectors on public land. As Ms411 has told you finding a valuable item and keeping it is not legal anywhere in the USA. In fact it is a Misdemeanor of a Felony depending on the value of the item. You can however turn the found item in to the local police. In most jurisdictions if no one claims it in 30-90 days the item is yours to keep legally.

Brewers is a local beach and locals can be very protective of "their" beach. Smith Bay is under same Authority as Magens.

I monitor a few VI forums and people sometimes post that they lost jewelry when they were in the water. Most of the times divers and smorkelers help them find it. So many happy stories about found and returned items!