Ideas for Saint John New Brunswick

criisingisthebest

What should 2 middle age adults do in Saint John? Not really interested in renting a car but interested in the Old City Market. We are totally ok walking around town if that is doable and worthwhile. Ship arrives at 4 am and leaves at 4 pm so doesn’t look like we will be there for high tide at Bay of Fundy. Open to ideas!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Edited by criisingisthebest

A few years ago we did a horse drawn wagon ride through the town. Got a great tour with history, buildings, etc. Then we walked to the old market. The horse and wagon were on the main street, just off the dock area.

Sent from my SM-T713 using Tapatalk

the city of saint john does a city tour for a good price: http://www.saintjohn.ca/en/home/cityhall/transportation/transit/services/citytours.aspx

i did that tour a few years ago and thinking of doing it again

Where do you go exactly besides Reversing Falls and the market ?

We've been to the Falls (last trip a tour with Dave's Taxi Tours...wonderful) and it was an easy walk from the cruise ship to the market.

Both the Museum of New Brunswick and Loyalist House are within easy walking distance of the cruise terminal.

Also earlier this summer a vendor in the cruise terminal was selling trolley rides which lasted about 90 minutes. The route traveled through some of the historic areas not adjacent to the downtown area. There was a 15 minute or so stop at the Reversing Falls before heading back downtown. They stopped near the Old City Market for those who wanted to head to the market and return to the ship on their own. Those who wanted to stay on were delivered to the cruise terminal. We took it and I simply can't remember the name of the company.

• 2 weeks later...
Just a question. It is it safe to walk around the City Market and to the Port alone. I'm thinking yes' date=' but not sure. TIA

Sent from my SM-N950U using Forums mobile app

I walked all around the town with my son. I felt pretty safe, but there are a lot of homeless people wandering around and just loitering, especially in King's Square Park and the Loyalist Burial Ground. There were actually used needles and other garbage in plain view.

Such a shame as the burial grounds are very peaceful and beautiful if you didn't have vagrants lying on benches and sleeping on the monuments.

The city market was a bust for us. Not going to buy vegetables or meat. Cashier/owner at Slocum and Ferris currency converted my cc purchase without my permission.

Various craftspeople set up tables in the port area. Not a whole lot there. There is a mall that is half empty and smells terrible.

Sorry to disappoint but Saint John NB was probably our worst port stop ever. Very lame.

I walked all around the town with my son. I felt pretty safe, but there are a lot of homeless people wandering around and just loitering, especially in King's Square Park and the Loyalist Burial Ground. There were actually used needles and other garbage in plain view.

Such a shame as the burial grounds are very peaceful and beautiful if you didn't have vagrants lying on benches and sleeping on the monuments.

The city market was a bust for us. Not going to buy vegetables or meat. Cashier/owner at Slocum and Ferris currency converted my cc purchase without my permission.

Various craftspeople set up tables in the port area. Not a whole lot there. There is a mall that is half empty and smells terrible.

Sorry to disappoint but Saint John NB was probably our worst port stop ever. Very lame.

Thanks for info in those areas!

Sent from my SM-N950U using Forums mobile app

Saint John is like Paris. There is the historical part that we show off that up until the 1930’s was one of the Eastern seaboard’s most prominent port cities. Since then Saint John is not a super well off city but preserved it’s heritage and culture. The mall uptown is empty only because the locals have two modern shopping districts outside of the historic areas around Westmorland St in the east and Fairville Blvd in the west. (There are busses to both areas every 15 mins from King St)

If you look to the North from Ft Howe you will see the one time prominent area that was the City of Portland but is now one of the poorest areas of Saint John.

If you are lucky enough to be on one of the ships like Anthem of the Seas that has later departure times, the district near the ship has a great cultural nightlife that you would miss in the daytime.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Here are some awesome guides put together by Tom that he shared on Cruise Critic: http://www.tomsportguides.com/uploads/5/8/5/4/58547429/saintjohn-nb-05-30-2014.pdf

He has other cities in Canada too, explore his web site for more.

Tammy

Thanks for sharing, explore his site I did! I feel much more confident about our enjoyment of these ports, now.

Saint John is like Paris. There is the historical part that we show off that up until the 1930’s was one of the Eastern seaboard’s most prominent port cities. Since then Saint John is not a super well off city but preserved it’s heritage and culture. The mall uptown is empty only because the locals have two modern shopping districts outside of the historic areas around Westmorland St in the east and Fairville Blvd in the west. (There are busses to both areas every 15 mins from King St)

If you look to the North from Ft Howe you will see the one time prominent area that was the City of Portland but is now one of the poorest areas of Saint John.

If you are lucky enough to be on one of the ships like Anthem of the Seas that has later departure times, the district near the ship has a great cultural nightlife that you would miss in the daytime.

Good to know.

Another son was exploring on his own and he came across a man urinating on a garbage can (I think in the cemetary). The guy looked at him and said, 'sorry dude but I have to go'. I realize this happens everywhere but it was a bit disappointing and I saw absolutely no police presence anywhere. I saw a police car drive down the street once. I guess the park and the cemetary are the local gathering spots for loitering which is a shame because both places were a nice place to sit down and relax for a few moments if no one was passed out there first.

• 3 weeks later...