Luggage checkin / tags / GTY rooms

mnsweeps

We have GTY rooms booked so won't know the stateroom number until checkin. Doesn't security and luggage drop off happen before checkin ?

GTY room assignments are typically done 45-60 days out from the cruise. That said, it's quite possible to not know your room assignment until you check in at the port.

The luggage tags you get in your cruise documents have a bar code on them. Once your room is assigned, that information is in the computer and a scan of the bar code will direct your luggage to the correct room when you drop them off (check in) for the cruise. That scan is actually done when the bags get on the ship, not by the port workers.

My experience is that GTY assignments can occur at ANY time after booking, but are typically done at 30-45 days before embarkation. *GT assignments are typically made at 14-30 days before embarkation, but again, you may not find out your assignment till you arrive at the terminal.

However, as Shmoo noted, there is a bar code on the luggage tags that will correspond to your booking. When a cabin is assigned, the bar code will also direct the bag to that cabin assignment. IF you get an assignment before leaving for port, write it in on the tag.

• 2 years later...

I booked my August 24 cruise on the Dream 2 days ago. I have a Verandah GTY. Will I receive my room assignment and luggage tags before I get to the port?

First Disney Cruise!

Edited by linaka625

I booked my August 24 cruise on the Dream 2 days ago. I have a Verandah GTY. Will I receive my room assignment and luggage tags before I get to the port?

First Disney Cruise!

Maybe. Maybe not.

Well, you won't get the luggage tags, as those are typically mailed out 30-45 days out. You can pick up luggage tags at the port. How are you getting to the port? If you are flying to MCO, and taking DCL transfers, they will also have luggage tags at the bus check in location.

Even if you don't have your room number by then, the bar code on the bags will cross reference to your reservation. And, when the tag is scanned at the port, it will show them what number to deliver the bags to.