WIFI calling on Disney Wonder

tvo7

I will be on the Disney Wonder in November. I have tmobile and I was wondering if anyone is able to connect to the internet and use WIFI calling to call back home. If so, does it still count as roaming or just uses your regular minutes?

It worked last August when we were in the Wonder. You do need to purchase the internet service on the Wonder so you have access to the network. Also FaceTime audio/video calling work. Since it’s WiFi calling it doesn’t count against your phone package usage, at least that’s how it works with AT&T.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

You can actually get a 50mb internet package free by signing up before midnight on embarkation day. It's a nice way to test the system, be sure you have everything turned off on your device, and best of all, it might be all the internet you need for a short cruise.

• 4 weeks later...
Is that 50 MB per person in the state room or per state room .

We will be in concierge class do you know if it has complementary Internet .

No complimentary internet in Concierge, you can sign up for the same 50MB for free on day 1 like everyone else. My travel companion and I have always been able to get the 50MB each on our own separate devices.

When you are logged onto DCL Wi-Fi, you might also consider putting your phone in low power mode (settings, battery, low power mode on an iPhone). While designed to reduce battery consumption, mail fetch, background app refresh, automatic downloads and a few other visual effects are reduced or turned off. Turn low power mode on, sign in to Wi-Fi, do your calls, emails with some sense of urgency, sign-off Wi-Fi and then turn lower power mode off. We used this method on our last cruise and it really slows down use of applications that ramp up megabytes. This is an alternative to turning off lots of little things while on the cruise ship, which can be hard to reverse at end of cruise. Make sure and monitor your Wi-Fi usage carefully to ensure this approach works for you.

DCL has had various handouts over the years to tell guests what to turn off/on while at sea. It’s a real pain in the neck! In any event, they no longer hand those guides out. They were “unofficial”, and my guess is that DCL Legal told them to no longer provide specific written advice. Nonetheless, the internet person on the Wonder suggested the lower power mode approach and it worked very well for us on a recent cruise. I wish the cell companies had an “At Sea” button. Alas, they do not, and lower power mode is a close to that as I have seen. But, to repeat, monitor your usage and get on/off Wi-Fi quickly to conserve MBs.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

• 1 month later...
What are the information they ask when you sign up the free 50 minutes? Room, name, and age?

Will I be able to sign one with my 2yr old toddler? We have 4 people in one cabin.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The information for the 50mb package states "per stateroom". But, yes, there were people who were able to sign up each individual in the room for separate packages.

What are the information they ask when you sign up the free 50 minutes? Room, name, and age?

Will I be able to sign one with my 2yr old toddler? We have 4 people in one cabin.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It is 50 mb, not 50 minutes. And while it is often listed as "per cabin," there has never been a problem signing up "per person."