No more Scopolamine patches!

hmmmm

google search finds nothing about this being discontinued

first mention of it being discontinued here on CC was in 2017

there are notices of shortages due to increased demand ...

https://www.ashp.org/drug-shortages/current-shortages/Drug-Shortage-Detail.aspx?id=259

and a recall

5/18/2018

1. Perrigo is initiating a retail level recall on eighteen (18) batches of Scopolamine 1mg/72hr Transdermal Patches currently in the marketplace.

I believe the original manufacturer stopped making them a couple years ago, due to their patent running out. There are now generic versions available.

I will be asking the doctor at my next visit in a week. The pharmacist is the one who told me they are no longer making and had nothing that could be substituted. She said they had been trying to find patches for another special needs patient for a couple months now, but with no avail. Maybe it is just the one brand? I can always hope the pharmacist misunderstood what I was asking.

I have seen that there are some prescription pills, but no patch. Will search the threads here also.

Thanks

Well Canada is out, too far a road trip for me!

And yes, I am aware they were available in the beginning of the year. I have a prescription for them from an episode in February with dizziness and nausea.

Not trying to be argumentative, but they are no longer available in the southern region I reside in. The pharmacist point blank told me they were no longer manufacturing them and they had not been able to get them for a couple months. The pharmacist also stated they did not have a substitute for the patch, and to talk to the doctor.

My original question is and still is, what do the seasoned cruisers use for motion sickness that works besides scopolamine patches?

I've read Zophran, Phenegran, or Dramamine. But I understand make you drowsy? Ginger? Then another place said Zophran does not work. See the confusion? I need your actual motion sickness remedies that work that you have used.

Thanks in advance.

I really hope this remedies before I cruise again in November. The patch was a game changer for me.

To the OP— Dramamine for me. The original kind. If it gets really bad, Benadryl and bed. Not offering medical advice, just sharing my experiences. Fingers crossed for everyone who relies on this medication.

I've used meclazine or Bonine with success. Smaller ocean boats are the worst for me, but have not been on it since I started using meclazine. I felt the side effects of the patch were not worth it to me.

I just found out they are no longer manufacturing Scopolamine Patches for dizziness and motion sickness!

What are substitutes? What do those of you prone to seasickness use? The pharmacy was not helpful, so I'm researching before I head to the doctors office next week.

Can you provide a source for your assertion that they are no longer manufacturing the patch?

I can find nothing backing your claim though I do see reports of spotty unavailability.

I suggest checking with your insurance plan and seeing if you can get it by mail order.

I work in Pharmacy so I can tell you at least in the USA for 100% Scopolamine Patches are NOT available and have not been for close to 10 months. Will they come back? At this point I doubt it, I have not seen something on back order for this long in years in retail pharmacy. Not saying someone won't make them, but it isn't a high demand product in truth.

This is ONLY for the generic version! The brand name are available still. I can also attest to this as a recent patient was just prescribed them for a 15 day cruise, and they needed a prior auth with the insurance. Dr's office got the PA for the generic after I specifically let them know only brand was available. 3 day fight but it happened and they got their 5 brand name patches today. I then proceeded to order 3 more boxes of the brand name to replace them.

If the cost doesn't bother you (which I mean... you are going on a cruise right?) When I compared the price of the 5 days of brand name patches for this patient just in case their insurance wouldn't pay for it... it was only $100 ran through a discount card we offer.

This is just to point out that it is only the generic that isn't available and if you are willing to pay a slight premium (5 generic patches is $80) they are still out there! If your normal pharmacy doesn't have them, call pharmacies and find if they use Cardinal as a distributor. If they do, you can get the brand name Transderm patch.

• Like 1

I work in Pharmacy so I can tell you at least in the USA for 100% Scopolamine Patches are NOT available and have not been for close to 10 months.

This is ONLY for the generic version! The brand name are available still.

So they ARE available, just not the generic version.

Why not say that, instead of saying what you said in the first paragraph?????

I work in Pharmacy so I can tell you at least in the USA for 100% Scopolamine Patches are NOT available and have not been for close to 10 months. Will they come back? At this point I doubt it, I have not seen something on back order for this long in years in retail pharmacy. Not saying someone won't make them, but it isn't a high demand product in truth.

This is ONLY for the generic version! The brand name are available still. I can also attest to this as a recent patient was just prescribed them for a 15 day cruise, and they needed a prior auth with the insurance. Dr's office got the PA for the generic after I specifically let them know only brand was available. 3 day fight but it happened and they got their 5 brand name patches today. I then proceeded to order 3 more boxes of the brand name to replace them.

If the cost doesn't bother you (which I mean... you are going on a cruise right?) When I compared the price of the 5 days of brand name patches for this patient just in case their insurance wouldn't pay for it... it was only $100 ran through a discount card we offer.

This is just to point out that it is only the generic that isn't available and if you are willing to pay a slight premium (5 generic patches is $80) they are still out there! If your normal pharmacy doesn't have them, call pharmacies and find if they use Cardinal as a distributor. If they do, you can get the brand name Transderm patch.

Thank you! This may be why the pharmacist told me to talk to doctor. But they did not explain the part of just the generic version was affected. I have a PPO insurance plan and am dealing with a big box pharmacy, so they are not always customer friendly. If I have to pay out of pocket, so be it. Thanks again.

I live in the UK and took delivery of 6 Scopoloderm patches yesterday. They have a 'use by' date of 2020 but I cannot see when they were manufactured.

I'm afraid I haven't found anything else that actually works for me :(

DW uses a variety of measures to combat sea-sickness. She starts with the wrist bands, but you have to know where to place them (trial & error). She also has Gravol (damamine), which is quicker acting than the patch.

In addition, we select cabins that have less movement when in a seaway. During the day, she avoids higher decks and the extreme ends of the ship.