East Coast Departures

Baltimore, Boston, Cape Liberty, Charleston, Montreal, New York, Norfolk, & Philadelphia l
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 10:06 AM.
Boston (Watertown), Massachusetts
529 Posts
Joined Aug 2007
my DH and I will be staying a couple of days in NYC pre-cruise. We would love to see a Broadway show, top choices Kinky Boots and Come From Away. Rather than book a show now, I am thinking we’ll roll the dice and get day-of tickets from TKTS or similar outlet. I figure that some Broadway show should have tickets even if my top choices do not, and it’s Broadway so it will be amazing whatever it is. I guess I am looking for confirmation that this is not a completely crazy idea, and that I should be able to get some sort of deal with a day-of ticket purchase. Thanks in advance for your thoughts.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Peace!
Dawn...

Norwegian Dawn 8/25/2017 Boston to Bermuda Norwegian Dawn 9/2/2016 Boston to Bermuda
Norwegian Dawn 10/2/2015 Quebec City to Boston Norwegian Jade 4/12/2014 Western Mediterranean
Norwegian Dawn 9/16/2011 Boston to Bermuda Norwegian Spirit 8/27/2010 Boston to Bermuda
Norwegian Spirit 8/28/2009 Boston to Bermuda Ruby Princess 5/4/2009 Grand Mediterranean
Carnival Sensation 8/31/2008 Bahamas Carnival Destiny 8/26/2007 Southern Caribbean
Caribbean Princess 8/26/2006 Western Caribbean
Northern Virginia
1,874 Posts
Joined Apr 2009
If you want "a" show, not a specific show, you should be fine. You have a couple of options. TKTS will work for day of show (a lot of folks are now recommending the location at Lincoln Center rather than Times Square). You can also walk up to the box office when you get in town (check TKTS for the show you're interested in to get a feel for price and availability) and buy at face value, but without the Ticketmaster/Broadway.com, etc., fees. "Most" shows (Hamilton, Springsteen, etc.,excepted) will have tickets 2-3 days out. And, if you're feeling lucky, you can download the Hamilton app and enter the lottery for $10 next day Hamilton tickets...

I don't know specific TKTS availability for either of the two shows you'd rather see. Come From Away was sold out the last time I looked, so I don't know about TKTS, BUT, I've been surprised in the past by just walking up to the show's box office a day or two before the show. We got tickets (not great, but we were there) to Spamalot years ago during the first week of its Broadway run that way...
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Brilliance of the Seas July 2015
Explorer of the Seas June 2014
Freedom of the Seas July 2013
Jewel of the Seas July 2012
Freedom of the Seas April 2011
Oasis of the Seas March 27, 2010
Independence of the Seas April 2009
Liberty of the Seas March 2008
Maasdam August 2006
Oosterdam December 2004
10,256 Posts
Joined May 2009
Originally posted by descal13
my DH and I will be staying a couple of days in NYC pre-cruise. We would love to see a Broadway show, top choices Kinky Boots and Come From Away. Rather than book a show now, I am thinking we’ll roll the dice and get day-of tickets from TKTS or similar outlet. I figure that some Broadway show should have tickets even if my top choices do not, and it’s Broadway so it will be amazing whatever it is.
Your idea is not "completely crazy" if you don't care at all about what you see. But just because something is "Broadway" doesn't mean it will be amazing. It may not even be very good. Or maybe it will be something some folks love but it turns out you don't. Not all shows are equal. My personal feeling is that if there's a show you really want to see, you should get tickets in advance, especially if it's a popular show.

I have been going to the theatre for a very long time, and "Come From Away" is one of the best shows I've ever seen. (I haven't seen "Kinky Boots," so I can't help you there.)

Enjoy your trip!
Dallas, Texas
9,248 Posts
Joined May 2003
my DH and I will be staying a couple of days in NYC pre-cruise. We would love to see a Broadway show, top choices Kinky Boots and Come From Away. Rather than book a show now, I am thinking we’ll roll the dice and get day-of tickets from TKTS or similar outlet. I figure that some Broadway show should have tickets even if my top choices do not, and it’s Broadway so it will be amazing whatever it is. I guess I am looking for confirmation that this is not a completely crazy idea, and that I should be able to get some sort of deal with a day-of ticket purchase. Thanks in advance for your thoughts.
We go to nyc every year and see normally about 4 plays , will be there next week, we saw kinky boots last year or year before and really good tickets with half price tkts, come from away is not currently offered from tkts , but there are plenty of other good shows , get the tkts app so you can see shows offered . You can see my post on this board on broadway plays many people had great advice on current shows. Beautiful is also really good and also Bronx tale .
VA
469 Posts
Joined Mar 2012
There's also an app TodayTIX for discounted tickets. If there's a specific show you really want to see I would suggest buying ahead of time. If you really don't care, then go TKTX to see what's available that day. You'll always find something good.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
RCI Adventure of the Seas NY to Bahamas - July 2018
Celebrity Millennium Alaska Northern Glacier - August 2017
Regal Princess New England and Canada - October 2016
NCL Breakaway Bermuda - August 2015
RCI Allure of the Seas Western Caribbean - August 2014
RCI Grandeur of the Seas Bahamas - January 2014
RCI Oasis of the Seas Eastern Caribbean - August 2013
Celebrity Summit Bermuda - August 2012
Celebrity Solstice Alaska - August 2009
529 Posts
Joined Aug 2007
I didn’t know about the Hamilton lottery, that would be a hoot! Beautiful, Spamalot and Springsteen would be cool, too. I know nothing about Bronx Tale, so I’ll look it up. Thanks for all the great advice. I think we will roll the dice, when we get in on Friday get on the Hamilton lottery, then walk up to a few box offices early Saturday to try to get a good show ticket!
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Peace!
Dawn...

Norwegian Dawn 8/25/2017 Boston to Bermuda Norwegian Dawn 9/2/2016 Boston to Bermuda
Norwegian Dawn 10/2/2015 Quebec City to Boston Norwegian Jade 4/12/2014 Western Mediterranean
Norwegian Dawn 9/16/2011 Boston to Bermuda Norwegian Spirit 8/27/2010 Boston to Bermuda
Norwegian Spirit 8/28/2009 Boston to Bermuda Ruby Princess 5/4/2009 Grand Mediterranean
Carnival Sensation 8/31/2008 Bahamas Carnival Destiny 8/26/2007 Southern Caribbean
Fox Point, WI, USA
3,780 Posts
Joined Apr 2003
You can also sign up at broadwaybox, playbill, and theatermania for discount codes to use in advance.
Loved Beautiful, liked Kinky Boots.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Forums mobile app
Brooklyn NY
2,459 Posts
Joined Mar 2010
TKTS mobil app: http://tdf.busedge.com/nyc/20/TKTS-Mobile-App

You also have Rush, Lottery and Standing Room only tickets. See Playbill for an explanation http://www.playbill.com/article/broa...ies-com-116003
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Carnival Sunshine 9/2016 CA
Norwegian Breakaway 9/2016 BM
Carnival Conquest 9/2015 Southern
Carnival Pride 9/2014 BS
Carnival Splendor 7/2014 CA Nope BM (Thanks Arthur)
Norwegian Gem 12/2013 Eastern
Carnival Glory 8/2013 CA
Caribbean Princess 10/2012 BM, Nope Boston (Thanks Sandy)
Norwegian Star 9/2012 BM
Carnival Glory 7/2011 CA
Norwegian Gem 5/2011 CTN
Norwegian Jewel 9/2010 FL/BS
Carnival Imagination 9/2000 Eastern
RCCL Monarch of the Seas 9/1995 Southern
529 Posts
Joined Aug 2007
Originally posted by Brighton Line

You also have Rush, Lottery and Standing Room only tickets. See Playbill for an explanation http://www.playbill.com/article/broa...ies-com-116003
These links are amazing, thank you so much! My cruise isn’t until September, so I have bookmarked the links and will try the lotteries as the date approaches! The chance of getting Hamilton or Springsteen tix is incredible. I just assumed there would be no chance in hell I could either afford or acquire tickets for either show. There is a small chance, but a chance nonetheless!
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Peace!
Dawn...

Boston
4,934 Posts
Joined Jan 2003
Sorry to dash your dreams, but some reality is that Come From Away probably won't be on TKTS. Spamalot has been closed for quite some time. Springsteen is totally sold out. Hamilton lottery is a 10 in 10,000 chance -- holding out hope that you get those tix means you pass up many other options.

Kinky Boots is a great show. You can get the same TKTS discount now from the comfort of your home and chose your seats by using the discount code at Theatermania.com, Broadwaybox.com or Playbill.com. ONLY use the discount section of those sites. Using the booth isn't a bad idea, but it takes up precious vacation time, you don't get to chose your seats, and from now until then more and more tickets will be purchased leaving you with worse and worse options at the booth. These discounts might not extend to September now but check every couple weeks and buy when you see your dates

Today's Tix works for some folks -- you can't buy as long in advance and there have been complaints about the process to actually get your tickets from the selling company, but just a few complaints.
Columbia, MD USA
3,253 Posts
Joined Jun 2003
Absolutely not a crazy idea. If you are going to be in lower Manhattan you can also get tickets from the TKTS outlet near the South Street Seaport. Gives you a head start on those waiting in line in Times Square. Also, there is a TKTS app that you can use to track what shows are available.
Dallas, Texas
9,248 Posts
Joined May 2003
I also use south street seaport , lines much smaller, and you can get matinee tickets for next day , newest location is in Lincoln center , so next Friday will take a quick taxi to Lincoln center and buy our Friday night tickets and Saturday matinee tickets
Ohio
75 Posts
Joined Oct 2010
Originally posted by Brighton Line

Love this link. Plan to give it my best try to snag some tickets before our cruise in June.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
NCL Dawn for a honeymoon 10/98
NCL 01/02
Great cruise from NYC NCL Jewel 6/5/11
Cruised Mediterranean NCL Epic 10/9/11
Alaska cruise NCL Sun 06/02/14-06/16/14
NCL Breakaway Thanksgiving Cruise 11/23/14-11/30/14
NCL Dawn W Caribbean from New Orleans Spring Break 03/16
NCL Sky 3 day E Caribbean 02/17
NCL Escape Spring Break 04/17
HAL Boston-Montreal 06/17
MSC Amsterdam European 10/17
NCL Escape to Bermuda 07/18
NCL New Orleans Breakaway Spring Break 04/19
Northern Virginia
1,874 Posts
Joined Apr 2009
Speaking of tickets...

I hit the "Verified Fan" lottery last night! Two tickets to Hamilton! (In 11 months...) The current ticket release is January to May of 2019, and I have unknown international travel dates in January & February, so a matinee in April! (Waaaaay in the back; anything halfway close is a premium ticket.)
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Brilliance of the Seas July 2015
Explorer of the Seas June 2014
Freedom of the Seas July 2013
Jewel of the Seas July 2012
Freedom of the Seas April 2011
Oasis of the Seas March 27, 2010
Independence of the Seas April 2009
Liberty of the Seas March 2008
Maasdam August 2006
Oosterdam December 2004
10,256 Posts
Joined May 2009
Originally posted by markeb
Speaking of tickets...

I hit the "Verified Fan" lottery last night! Two tickets to Hamilton! (In 11 months...) The current ticket release is January to May of 2019, and I have unknown international travel dates in January & February, so a matinee in April! (Waaaaay in the back; anything halfway close is a premium ticket.)
Congrats and enjoy!!
MA
184 Posts
Joined May 2017
I've also heard good things about Broadway Roulette. You can choose 4 that you don't want to see, and musical vs play.

That said, I *loved* Kinky Boots and am dying to see Come From Away so I'm no help!
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

C
arnival Paradise to Cuba 10/2017
Norwegian Gem to Bermuda 06/2018
Long Island,NY
3,813 Posts
Joined Mar 2011
You can definitely do this . My wife and I have done this more times than I can count .
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Lenny