Worst cruise ever

akais89

Whew, brutal NCLers. The OP had a bad time and reported it. The cruise was not up to their expectations, regardless what they were. It is all in the opinion of that particular person, what they expected and what they felt they got, and they have a right to it.

I understand being loyal to your chosen cruise line but geez, reviews are individual and everyone has the right to theirs.

I agree with previous poster's view that this is not really a review/report.

Most people cruise other cruise lines so not all of us here are only NCLers and without details how will we know if there is actually an issue?

Most on CC are open to a good discussion and to help but difficult to do either without some more information. :)

I try really hard not to come down hard on negative posters. They are reporting their impressions, and their opinion is as valid as mine.

But I do scratch my head at people who come here and complain about their rotten cruise, and who apparently didn't do much on the cruise to rectify matters.

I want to know what (or if), Guest Services did. For example, bad room upkeep could have been fixed easily, unless there was a do not disturb sign posted. I've found Guest Services usually bends over backward to help.

I guess I want more concrete information than we got from this poster.

I've been on several cruises before but Norwegian Epic has been THE worst!

Welcome to Cruise Critics for your first post. Have you posted before?

We have sailed on the Epic 7 times and have had wonderful experience each and every cruise. Given that you were in port almost every day, did you perhaps eat some bad pizza ashore?

I cancelled mine too after finding out the food makes you sick. And, it gets worse. Since it was next week, they kept all money. What kind of crap is that?

LOL!

Yeah, me too! I found out that the food made me gain weight! :p

Whether this "review" is real or not, I guess I'm always amazed at how quickly people always blame the food for making them sick. Was there gastrointestinal distress, including vomiting and diarrhea? If something is wrong with the food you'd be hearing more reports about it. More likely, it's lack of proper handwashing. Germs are everywhere on a cruise ship. Elevator buttons, railings, door handles. If someone has a cold or stomach bug, sneezes into their hand and touches the button, and then you come along and touch the button and then rub your nose or mouth... you've increased your chances of getting sick.

I get what the prior poster mentioned about piling on against someone expressing an opinion. But what I find is that we live in a society that likes to cast blame. All of the ranters never seem to accept any responsibility for their own actions. It's always somebody else's fault.

Whew, brutal NCLers. The OP had a bad time and reported it. The cruise was not up to their expectations, regardless what they were. It is all in the opinion of that particular person, what they expected and what they felt they got, and they have a right to it.

I understand being loyal to your chosen cruise line but geez, reviews are individual and everyone has the right to theirs.

Gullible

Most of the comments here are not about being loyal or defending NCL. If this post had been about Princess or Carnival, the responses here would be similar.

The post was a rant and it was very difficult to put much value on the limited information posted. What really threw me was he was CONVINCED he got sick from the buffet food. So many of the other points seem to just be somebody that can not be happy - or even possibly what someone else said - was not even on a cruise.

Just my two cents. And not directed at the OP as I am sure he will never come back here.

So sorry to hear about your bad experience. There is nothing worse than getting sick while on your vacation. I hope you are feeling better now. My very first cruise with Norwegian was on the Epic. My wife and I enjoyed the cruise so much we book our next two cruises with Norwegian and look forward to our next adventure.

Welcome to Cruise Critic. I love the posts that say always and never, with nothing to back it up. Many times illness is caused by people eating food that they are not used to eating and in the quantities they do not have at home. To the OP, maybe cruising is not for you and you should choose another type of vacation. While the Epic may not be everyones favorite ship, I had a wonderful time and would sail on her again. Is every cruise perfect? No, but not much in life is.

They won't you know.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I know... but... I keep hearing that same statement over and over again. So what are they referring to? Daily Gratuities? Specialty Restaurant upcharges?

I also hear the "nickle and dime you to death". I am not aware of these extra charges?

I'm not a first-time poster and have been on over 30 cruises. I've been on Epic twice. The first time, we really enjoyed it. The second time, not so much.

The first time, we went to all the for-fee shows. The second time, we didn't because we had already seen them, so it wasn't quite as entertaining.

The first time, we really enjoyed the Second City troupe. The second time, it was a different group, they were not nearly as good and it seemed like they we're just 'phoning it in'

The first time, we really enjoyed going to Fat Cats bar. They had a great blues band. The second time, Fat Cats bar had been turned into basically a karaoke bar. I'm not particularly a fan of karaoke.

The first time, we found the food to be really good. The second time, it was OK. We did enjoy the buffet area on both cruises.

The first time, we had a balcony. The second time we had an inside cabin. I found that I really missed the 'connection' to the outside when I didn't have the balcony to come 'home' to. With no outside promenade deck, the only place to really enjoy the outside was up on the pool deck, and that was usually very noisy with lots of kids running around.

I got sick on the second time we were on Epic. I don't think it was the food. It was more like sea-sickness. Which was odd because I never got sea sick on a cruise before or since.

When Epic was brand new, there was a lot of discussion about the bathroom arrangement in the staterooms. I notice people don't talk about it so much anymore. It didn't particularly bother me. I thought the staterooms were quite lovely.

Anyway, to each their own.

I also hear the "nickle and dime you to death". I am not aware of these extra charges?

What usually happens is...

Option 1 is complimentary.

Option 2 (which is usually "better") is not complimentary.

Person wants option 2 but doesn't want to pay extra so....NCL is "nickel and diming" by giving people a choice.

Complimentary water vs (pay extra for it) bottled water.

Complimentary restaurant vs (pay extra for it) specialty restaurants

Complimentary adult-only area vs (pay extra for it) adult-only area

Complimentary ice-cream/dessert in the buffet vs (pay extra for it) dessert in a bake shop/gelato spot.

etc.

First of all, if you get sick it is best to not let them know. If you vomit, act like you're drunk. If you're coughing, act like you're choking. Never, ever let them know you are sick!!! Secondly, never eat buffet food. I only eat in the specialty restaurants for this reason! As for the rude kids, I usually wait until no one is looking and whisper something scary and threatening in their ear.. It has worked all but one time. Don't give up cruising!

I know... but... I keep hearing that same statement over and over again. So what are they referring to? Daily Gratuities? Specialty Restaurant upcharges?

It's the same people that complain about 'hidden charges' with budget airlines. They're not hidden and they're not new. Some People want the best and don't want to pay for it.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

When Epic was brand new, there was a lot of discussion about the bathroom arrangement in the staterooms. I notice people don't talk about it so much anymore. It didn't particularly bother me. I thought the staterooms were quite lovely.

Most people know about the bathroom situation and fall into 1 of 3 categories.

1. I don't have a problem with it.

2. I book an Epic stateroom that doesn't have that setup.

3. I book a different NCL ship.

What usually happens is...

Option 1 is complimentary.

Option 2 (which is usually "better") is not complimentary.

Person wants option 2 but doesn't want to pay extra so....NCL is "nickel and diming" by giving people a choice.

Complimentary water vs (pay extra for it) bottled water.

Complimentary restaurant vs (pay extra for it) specialty restaurants

Complimentary adult-only area vs (pay extra for it) adult-only area

Complimentary ice-cream/dessert in the buffet vs (pay extra for it) dessert in a bake shop/gelato spot.

etc.

Oh please, NCL--nickel and dime me! Much preferable to $29ing me!

"extra and hidden fees and charges for everything"

Please elaborate?

You really are not expecting an answer are you?

Pretty sure he made his one post and has moved on to complain about something else.

They were scared off without a fight.

Will not come back.

I am sure they were unhappy with the cruise, but when they came on here they probably thought it is like Trip Advi*** were you say you were happy or sad and that's it.

They probably do not realize most on here want to go back and fourth defending the OP or the cruise line.

Maybe if they look up critic in the dictionary they would have been ready.

(a person who tends too readily to make captious, trivial, or harsh judgments; faultfinder.)