Grand question about stairs

JC in CA

Hello,

We are going on our first Princess cruise- on the Grand to Alaska, in May. I have seen a few comments about the lack of stairs (pretty sure they were referring to mid-ship) but on the deck plans, I see what appear to be stairs. We are mid-ship and I am hoping that there really are stairs both up and down. Waiting for elevators is not my favorite way to spend time on a cruise!

Can anyone confirm that there really are stairs mid-ship?

thanks in advance!

-Jerie

Yes, there really are stairs mid-ship on the Grand. Which May sailing are you on? We're on the 5/6 sailing.

Thank you!!! I was a bit confused to see people saying how frustrated they were that there were no mid-ship stairs! Do you know if they were added at some point?

We will be getting on when you disembark!

There are three sets of stairs . Forward , aft and midships have stairs and elevators. There are stairs from Deck 5 to 7 midships.

Yes, the midship stairs don't go up past deck 7. They are there on the deck plans but if you attempt to use them to go up to deck 8 or above, you are faced with a wall.

The stairs that go all the way to the top decks are only forward or aft. The midship will only have elevators.

There are stairs but they don't go very far. Even knowing this my wife and I had to laugh at ourselves a few times when we unthinkingly headed up the midship stairs and then ran into a dead end after a couple of decks. The stairs are there but they are closed off and only used for emergencies. Bizarre design to be sure. I don't "think" they have opened those up. I know they had the same stupid design on the Royal class but fixed it later. If they fixed it on Grand I'm sure someone will come along to correct me. (I'd be happy to know I'm outdated on this.)

There are stairs but they don't go very far. Even knowing this my wife and I had to laugh at ourselves a few times when we unthinkingly headed up the midship stairs and then ran into a dead end after a couple of decks. The stairs are there but they are closed off and only used for emergencies. Bizarre design to be sure. I don't "think" they have opened those up. I know they had the same stupid design on the Royal class but fixed it later. If they fixed it on Grand I'm sure someone will come along to correct me. (I'd be happy to know I'm outdated on this.)

That is so funny ... at least now we know we aren't the only ones that do that. I swear, we sail on that ship a lot and still find ourselves walking up and turning back around ... only to do it again the very same day.

I don't think they've fixed it to where passengers can use those stairs. I am sailing on her next month so can check it out.

That is so funny ... at least now we know we aren't the only ones that do that. I swear, we sail on that ship a lot and still find ourselves walking up and turning back around ... only to do it again the very same day.

I don't think they've fixed it to where passengers can use those stairs. I am sailing on her next month so can check it out.

Cruise Raider-

Would love to know! We will be on her in May. Part of the enticement of where our cabin is was the ability to head up and down the stairs.... I had looked at the deck plans and saw stairs mid-ship on most of the decks (except up top!) so figured that I misunderstood those who said there were no mid-ship stairs.....

There are three sets of stairs . Forward , aft and midships have stairs and elevators. There are stairs from Deck 5 to 7 midships.

Shoot- we are on Dolphin- deck 9 - so that will mean walking forward or aft - to get to the stairs. Was hoping to be able to go down a few flights for coffee.....

Very interesting, tonight when I went to look at the Grand Princess deck plans, I had to answer if we were sailing prior to or after April 7, 2018.

Does anyone know of what changes are being made?

Very interesting, tonight when I went to look at the Grand Princess deck plans, I had to answer if we were sailing prior to or after April 7, 2018.

Does anyone know of what changes are being made?

Usually this choice of before/after dates is because some cabins changed from one designation to another. What may have been OZ may now be OB, for example.

They had this different set of deck plans for all the ships twice in the last couple of years. Once when they changed the number of cabins in many categories, eliminating a number of categories that only had four or six cabins in them. Then they did it again last year when implementing the Club Class mini-suites.

Plans can also change if a restaurant name changes such as happened on some ships when Sabatini's became Share.

So a choice of deck plans does not always mean that there have been physical changes to the ship's layout.

Can anyone confirm that there really are stairs mid-ship?

thanks in advance!

-Jerie

Yes, there really stairs mid-ship that go all the way from deck 4 to deck 14.

However, only crew can use the stairs from deck 7 to deck 14.

However passengers can use them going to the muster drill and in case of an emergency on board when you must go to your muster stations.

The lack of mid-ship stairs caused lots of complaints when they launched the new Royal Princess (and Regal). Princess quickly realized their "mis calculation" and opened up the mid-ship stairs on the Royal...during its first drydock (I think they also plan on doing this with the Regal).

The problem with not having midship stairs is that it causes many of us (who would normally use stairs) to use the midship elevators...thus making these much more crowded. Besides, using stairs is an easy way to get some exercise and burn-off all those excess Princess calories :).

Hank

Checked there are three sets of stairs from Deck five to fourteen. Front , mid and aft .

Where did you check? They may show on the deck plans but having just sailed the grand mid February I can confirm the midship stairs stop at deck 7 - they are only available to passengers in an emergency

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We have actually sailed on the Grand twice, in 2006 and 2014. I can confirm that the center stairway has passenger access only between decks 5 and 7. Below is a video taken by someone showing the stairs.

Thanks!

Was wondering what they do for the drill and emergencies, now I know.

The lack of mid-ship stairs caused lots of complaints when they launched the new Royal Princess (and Regal). Princess quickly realized their "mis calculation" and opened up the mid-ship stairs on the Royal...during its first drydock (I think they also plan on doing this with the Regal).

The problem with not having midship stairs is that it causes many of us (who would normally use stairs) to use the midship elevators...thus making these much more crowded. Besides, using stairs is an easy way to get some exercise and burn-off all those excess Princess calories :).

Hank

Guess we will be walking forward or aft..... With the Grand being as old as she is, betting this won't change.

thanks for the info!

-Jerie

Where did you check? They may show on the deck plans but having just sailed the grand mid February I can confirm the midship stairs stop at deck 7 - they are only available to passengers in an emergency

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Does look like their are stairs when you look at any deck plans! So glad to have CC and know the real info!

-Jerie

Checked there are three sets of stairs from Deck five to fourteen. Front , mid and aft .

Nobody is denying that the stairs are there.

But the mid-ship stairs are only available to passengers (except in emergencies) from decks four to seven.

If you try to go up the mid-ship stairs on deck seven, you are greeted by a chain and a sign that says for crew use only.

Just got off the Grand and confirm what is being said about midship stairs. Our stateroom was on deck 8 midship. Had to wait for an elevator to go either direction if we did not want to walk forward or aft. Did use them for muster drill and have been known to sneak in when in a hurry (and nobody watching. :-)