St Petersburgh

stevenr597

My wife and I are booked on Regal Princess, Baltic Cruise the Summer. We are growing a bit concerned in regards to relations between our country, the United Kingdom and Russia. It seems that everyday, there is a new embargo, new charges, or recalling more ambassadors. Will this have any effect on the Regal Princess two day stop in St. Petersburg this summer. We hope not.

We are also going to St. Petersburg this summer, but on the Pacific Princess.

At this point there is not a lot to do. It is 4 months until we are there. I assume you are on a similar timeframe. If SP is deemed unsafe, then Princess will change the itinerary. They could either add sea days, add other ports or extend the stay at one or two ports.

SPB is safe and IF the port is changed it won’t be for security reasons. However I don’t see how the recent spat between the UK/Russia has anything to do with a Princess ship registered in another country. Don’t worry to much, the ship and itinerary are fantastic!

I don't think cruise passengers are less safe in St Petersburg as a result of this diplomatic wrangle.

However, given the joint condemnation of Russia by the leaders of UK, USA, France and Germany, and the tit for tat sanctions, it would not surprise me if Russian immigration in St Petersburg were particularly tardy in dealing with immigration procedures for US and UK citizens. Russia could easily claim they are not refusing entry but such action would effectively wreck excursions and sightseeing opportunities ashore.

Just my opinion as a seasoned conspiracy theorist!:cool:

Nobody can predict next week. How can we predict 4 months from now?

If the situation deteriorates, the ships will cancel. I am sure St Petersburg (no "h" on the end) doesn't desire this, so I am not thinking Russia will push this angle. But, again, who can predict?

The “spat” going on now concerns murder attempts by Russia’s dictator against former Russian spies. The fact that these actions are being denounced by the leaders of democratic countries except for America’s won’t be allowed to interfere with the inflow of tourist dollars. As it is you are much more likely to die in Fort Lauderdale that in St Petersburg.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

The “spat” going on now concerns murder attempts by Russia’s dictator against former Russian spies. The fact that these actions are being denounced by the leaders of democratic countries except for America’s won’t be allowed to interfere with the inflow of tourist dollars. As it is you are much more likely to die in Fort Lauderdale that in St Petersburg.

The 'spat' is also about a Russian produced nerve agent being spread liberally around a quiet English city. A police officer (first responder) is still in hospital in a serious condition after being contaminated. Ambulance staff, hospital staff, pub and restaurant staff being monitored for longer term effects of coming into contact with this noxious substance. Less of a spat more of an incredibly serious issue highlighting how one country feels it can attempt to kill foreign citizens on foreign soil and seriously injure innocent people with impunity.

I don't think cruise passengers are less safe in St Petersburg as a result of this diplomatic wrangle.

However, given the joint condemnation of Russia by the leaders of UK, USA, France and Germany, and the tit for tat sanctions, it would not surprise me if Russian immigration in St Petersburg were particularly tardy in dealing with immigration procedures for US and UK citizens. Russia could easily claim they are not refusing entry but such action would effectively wreck excursions and sightseeing opportunities ashore.

Just my opinion as a seasoned conspiracy theorist!:cool:

They need the money rather badly. If it gets around thy were doing this many tours would stop coming

<p>

The “spat” going on now concerns murder attempts by Russia’s dictator against former Russian spies. The fact that these actions are being denounced by the leaders of democratic countries except for America’s won’t be allowed to interfere with the inflow of tourist dollars. As it is you are much more likely to die in Fort Lauderdale that in St Petersburg.</p><b

What we are concerned about is not the safety of St. Petersburg, but rather whether Russia in retaliation will make it more difficult to visit, or whether they will just cancel docking facilities of cruise ships at St Petersburgh.

By the way, the United States, which has always been a strong ally of the United Kingdom has announced sanctions against the Russian government. Waiting for other NATO countries to act

We live for part of the year in Coca Beach Florida, which is the Winter home to many individuals from Canada. Never once have they indicated to us any fears for their safety in any part of Florida. Ft. Lauderdale is often called, because of its many waterways, the Venice of the South. Would suggest that anyone from your region feel free to visit. Great climate and greater people.

Edited by stevenr597
Spelling and punctuation

<p>

By the way, the United States, which has always been a strong ally of the United Kingdom has announced sanctions against the Russian government.

These sanctions are mainly for meddling in the U.S. elections, not for the U.K. recent poisoning which is an added on reason.

And the sanctions are meaningless. Not allowing some people who never wanted to come to the USA to not be allowed to come here.

I see no reason to worry about our stop in St. Petersburg. However, if conditions change and we can't go, nothing we can do. Hopefully we would get some nice replacements.

The only worry in not stopping would be if people booked non-refundable excursions with a company. Hopefully, people will be smart enough not to do that to themselves. Expect we're not going with the ship's tour on this one so will have to be smart about what we choose. Not worried about the safety aspect but simply missing the port.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/russia-set-to-retaliate-against-u-s-with-more-sanctions-1521187868

I'm glad we've done St Petersburg twice in the last 4 years so no desire to return.

The Russian "jobs worths" immigration officers will no doubt hold people on purpose, but as others have said tourism generally will not suffer as a result Putin's constant thuggery.

Russsia is also preparing for the World Cup in June and July. They will be front and center on the world stage.

They are even waiving requiring Russian Visas during this time period for this event.

I don't think there will be any problems visiting St. Petersburg. I have been 2x, once during the Soviet Union and there were no problems then either. They like tourism.

Whichever excursion company you book with, and there are several excellent ones, will handle your entry into Russia. It will be a group visa and you will be told exactly how the entry will work. Very easy and fast. I’d go again in a heartbeat. It is a most beautiful city to visit.

The 'spat' is also about a Russian produced nerve agent being spread liberally around a quiet English city. A police officer (first responder) is still in hospital in a serious condition after being contaminated. Ambulance staff, hospital staff, pub and restaurant staff being monitored for longer term effects of coming into contact with this noxious substance. Less of a spat more of an incredibly serious issue highlighting how one country feels it can attempt to kill foreign citizens on foreign soil and seriously injure innocent people with impunity.
Well said!

The only worry in not stopping would be if people booked non-refundable excursions with a company. Hopefully, people will be smart enough not to do that to themselves. Expect we're not going with the ship's tour on this one so will have to be smart about what we choose. Not worried about the safety aspect but simply missing the port.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/russia-set-to-retaliate-against-u-s-with-more-sanctions-1521187868

While we generally use tours arranged privately as opposed to the ship tour, we used Princess tours in SP some years ago. This paid off when we were granted early admissions to the Hermitage museum 1 hr before opening. No crowds, able to navigate the main collections with ease.

Just thought of this.

After the hurricanes, we got several offers for 10 day cruises on royal for BB balcony for $399 per person.

With the current feelings and fear of Russia, I bet this summer will have some of these same deals on cruises with St. Petersburg on the itinerary.

If you've been looking at these, watch for the last minute deals starting 45-60 days out.

While we generally use tours arranged privately as opposed to the ship tour, we used Princess tours in SP some years ago. This paid off when we were granted early admissions to the Hermitage museum 1 hr before opening. No crowds, able to navigate the main collections with ease.

The private excursion company also get you in early. We walked right in to Peterhof and we’re back outside afterward in time to see the fountains come on. Beautiful!

We also were in the Hermitage an hour early and were able to walk around with no crowds. We could have spent three days in the Hermitage and not seen it all. We stood In the room in the Yusupov palace where they first tried to poison Rasputin, then stabbed him, and even went down the stairs where they dragged him, and then tied him up and threw him in the river to drown. Everything about St Petersburg is fascinating, even the subway stations.

It is Russia’s face they present to the world, and I don’t think their government will do anything to curtail tourism.

Methinks your St Petersburg stop is more at risk from future US or UK sanctions if

this escalates than from retaliating Russian customs officials. Russia really needs

the foreign exchange.

Interesting point. Americans had decades where they were forbidden to visit Cuba by their own government and not by the destination regime. Now that the US government fawns over and wants to emulate dictatorships and totalitarian regimes I doubt if they will be prevented from experiencing their future.