Around Cape Horn...which ship would you take?

Wavelet

We are thinking about taking the 30 day cruise around Cape Horn in late 2019-early 2020. I know it’s too early to see this cruise so I’m looking at current options to see what it’s like. My question is this- if the same ships were to sail this cruise (currently the Royal and Star) which would you take? We like the Vista suites on the Star and the club class minis on the Royal, if that makes a difference in your preference. I know this is purely hypothetical at this point in time, but wanted opinions of those who have done this (or a similar cruise). Thanks so much.

To me it is unthinkable to have a 3500+ passenger ship on that itinerary. Most of those ports can barely support the 2000 pax ships that call there now (that I sailed on another line); the infrastructure is just nonexistant. You will spend literally half the scheduled time in port in a giant clusterflop getting off and then back on the ship.

Absolutely would select Star or another Grand Class ship over the Royal. Reasons,

Less passengers, more viewing areas, walking promenade deck, larger balconies, indoor pool on the Star, more lounges including an Explorer's Lounge and separate Wheelhouse Bar. no Princess Live, better locations for trivia and other daytime activities, Skywalker's and more.

I am also thinking of this cruise for 2020 (early)

I want to do the one that sails back to Los Angeles

We do not have the time to do the whole trip around S America and figure since we have seen all the ports in the Caribbean (and no desire to see WC Mexico) best to do the Southern Tip for 30 or so days

I would choose the Star, but I might be prejudiced because we were on her for 23 days in South America in 2010. She was our lifeboat for 11 days as we stayed on for an unplanned return cruise to Buenos Aries after the Chilean earthquake. We have also sailed on the Regal in the Med.

As others have posted:

Star has 2,600 passengers versus the Royal's 3,600 passengers

Star has a full promenade deck and more open areas for scenic viewing

Star has a covered pool

If you book a Vista Suite on the Star you will have use of the Thermal Suite

The Explorers Lounge is a much better venue than Princess Live

Skywalkers is much better than Club 6

The Piazza area on the Royal class ships seems much noisier to us

The Buffet is probably better on the Royal

Although it is extra cost, the hydrotherapy pool in the Enclave on the Royal is heavenly

Thank you, IECalCruiser. While we’ve never sailed on the Royal we did take a cruise on the Regal. The Regal/Royal ships do have some pluses, but as you and others have stated it seems like the better ship for this itinerary would be the Star. Also, you sailed this region on the Star so you know what it’s like. Thanks again.

I am also thinking of this cruise for 2020 (early)

I want to do the one that sails back to Los Angeles

We did this in 2016 on the Star and loved it. Being able to get up on the bow and watch the ocean was real nice for whale watching.

As for Royal Club Class, I do not believe the M1 rooms are down low in the middle as they are on other Princess ships. The potential is high for rough seas. That said, we like rooms C409 and C410, I believe, that jut out. Great view forward when sitting down.

Just know.....circumnavigation of Cape Horn is always a weather and sea challenge due to weather and rough seas. Be prepared to have your Captain say he’s sorry but due to safety....etc. Having shared this I hope you make it!

Just know.....circumnavigation of Cape Horn is always a weather and sea challenge due to weather and rough seas. Be prepared to have your Captain say he’s sorry but due to safety....etc. Having shared this I hope you make it!

We hit the cape on one of those rare days when it was like glass. Cruisers were still complaining because the seas weren't rough! Go Figure. History has shown that old sailing ships waited for up to 60 days before the seas let them sail through due to rough seas.

As you are thinking about booking a stateroom, be aware of the very true cliche of "the more you pay, the more you sway" as one books a stateroom on the upper decks of any ship.

On my December cruise on the Zaandam, the seas around Cape Horn were significant enough that standing in the Crow's Nest was a challenge. My plan to go out on the open deck to take photos of Cape Horn seemed unwise at that time.

It is true that there is always a possibility that the ship may not pause for "scenic cruising" as you round the Horn. But you still will sail by it. The only alternative route is to take the Straits of Magellan all the way through from Ushuaia to the Pacific Ocean (assuming an east-to-west sailing here). But if the weather is poor at Cape Horn it will be even worse cutting through the Strait--on average much colder and damper than the open ocean. (And I don't even know if large cruise ships can even take such a route).

Still it is far more a bad-weather possibility that the subsequent (or preceding, depending on the direction you are sailing) tender ports in Chile would be affected rather than the actual day you go round the Cape.

As you are thinking about booking a stateroom, be aware of the very true cliche of "the more you pay, the more you sway" as one books a stateroom on the upper decks of any ship.

On my December cruise on the Zaandam, the seas around Cape Horn were significant enough that standing in the Crow's Nest was a challenge. My plan to go out on the open deck to take photos of Cape Horn seemed unwise at that time.

As I mentioned, we were lucky. I think I said like glass, Looks like it was actually about 2 to 4 foot seas.

0rf8Tw-xMSijq_c7Op01RGB7bfgpzjdUPT1qkjfQKnHyyGCmscxeAQKSDYIR8NRArLu4Clco7bk_Haz7529-V1nQQUDfiurYnCsXrnmbYil4VuHyPDXBQfQWbG4h3LO8jTvHq0qRjitRoXJ1AnRNIPriPkQoYOVTde11PKmqVUHkSiZcUOP_dG7yzfISp_VgIaW8G-GrDMNN7ANDglLPZ1j4TbCH4-R37XzizsrQox69T6iAPWEZyhM0AALKINmfBOH8qOSTFvfFc-vCpjh9DHxoPFpW2EsBG_JsBqp4rDr29T1lLRuxO73O9n6IXWcrJRhBJ6-BoiLg69H7upDjYNkxBLGHyu_yZcpHeE_GfMTv1A5-IoV2c1mQJDKl9DOGwrymCi3Ta30QoqaPpBwpIXdiAzrBJaFe9dZ76DcHh8fx1vlThmUbAGGQwAFfiYC7n0Pkfs3qyO4iQE2HCBHjCLxW7g0ClJ7debQx7DS4qJZ0kjJjNMuFCqecsGC7gXTEsl3bxIffjeSrkyz0NFIweilW4dSzzvOUUqIJ1G0tiG_e0VTt5PKpfsc-seB1WnVJOLXEXTBxao14Z4m1UHoP01assuFFCPcWbTYWcUU=w448-h291-no

On our cruise in 2010, we had rough seas, 8-13 feet, for most of the next day after leaving the Falklands. But by the time we reached Cape Horn the seas were only moderate, 4-8 feet. We rounded Cape Horn from east to west and then Captain Perrin did a 180 and rounded Cape Horn from west to east. People on both sides had a great view. We then sailed up the east side to the Beagle Channel and Ushuaia the next morning. On the way back we left Ushuaia, went though the Beagle Channel, around the tip of Tierra del Fuego and then north. We didn't round Cape Horn because it would have been late at night.

On our cruise in January of 2010, I was "looking forward" to experiencing the rough sea of Cape Horn. But...it was one of those days where it was smooth as glass. Lots of my fellow passengers were also disappointed.

You should have been with us on the Crown Princess in late December 2016. In Ushuaia we experienced winds that kept us at the dock for an 6 hours before the ship could push away. Sailing that night was rocking and rolling and when we woke up and my DH took a shower he observed that the bathtub wasn't draining because the ship was tilting so much that all the water collected at the back of the tub! Shortly thereafter the captain announced that he was not going to even try to circumnavigate Cape Horn. No one complained. We could see it in the distance and that was good enough!

We had the same experience in Ushuaia in 2010. Cruise ships only dock on one side of the pier and prevailing winds can be so strong that ships can’t safely use their thrusters to move away from the pier. We were not able to leave until 11:00pm. On an earlier cruise that year a cruise ship couldn’t leave until the next morning.

We were forced to miss Punta Arenas but the next morning, as a consolation, we took two hours to slowly cruise past the wonderful tidewater glaciers in the Beagle Channel.

Sent from my iPad using Forums