Ruby Princess Vegetarian Meals

cruisinsly

So my son has this idea that he wants to start eating more vegetarian meals. I am ok with this. He was asking me what type of dishes are on Princess that are vegetarian. I have no idea - this will be our first time on Princess. Can you all help me out? Pictures? Suggestions? What should he stay away from? This mama is not a vegetarian and kinda lost with this. lol Thank you all.

They have a variety of vegetarian meals —each dinner will have a unique offering, plus the pasta (fettuccine Alfredo) that is offered every night. You can google for images of the menus. I’m not vegetarian, but one of our family members doesn’t eat meat, so I was looking at the menus a few months back.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

There are lots of choices. Obviously, the more strict his definition, the fewer the choices will be. You will get into issues like vege soup prepared with chicken broth. For some people, that would be something they wouldn't touch; for others it is "no problem." There is one vegetarian entree each night on the menu as well as other choices that are basically vegetarian--again, how does he feel about milk or egg products? Fish?

Sorry, my daughter had "vegetarian" friends in high school. Each young person seemed to have a different definition of the term and what they would or would not eat. And many of their definitions did not fit with the common "lacto-ovo-vegetarian, "vegan," etc. They were sort of made up definitions.

The buffet will also have appropriate options; he'll need to confer with a head server or chef if preparation is important to him.

IF this is a real diet for him, the chef in the dining room will make special dishes to meet his needs. However, he can't take advantage of special prep one night and order a beef dish the next evening without raising eyebrows and ending the special preparations. I say that because of your "more vegetarian" wording. The are totally willing to support special dietary needs, whether due to allergies or to personal choice. They are not willing to put in extra effort to support daily changes in teenage whims.

There are lots of choices. Obviously' date=' the more strict his definition, the fewer the choices will be. You will get into issues like vege soup prepared with chicken broth. For some people, that would be something they wouldn't touch; for others it is "no problem." There is one vegetarian entree each night on the menu as well as other choices that are basically vegetarian--again, how does he feel about milk or egg products? Fish?

Sorry, my daughter had "vegetarian" friends in high school. Each young person seemed to have a different definition of the term and what they would or would not eat. And many of their definitions did not fit with the common "lacto-ovo-vegetarian, "vegan," etc. They were sort of made up definitions.

The buffet will also have appropriate options; he'll need to confer with a head server or chef if preparation is important to him.

IF this is a real diet for him, the chef in the dining room will make special dishes to meet his needs. However, he can't take advantage of special prep one night and order a beef dish the next evening without raising eyebrows and ending the special preparations. I say that because of your "more vegetarian" wording. The are totally willing to support special dietary needs, whether due to allergies or to personal choice. They are not willing to put in extra effort to support daily changes in teenage whims.[/quote']

Thank you! I am afraid it is more of a whim right now, but who knows? We are not going until January and this is March, so his feelings could change. I dont think I would have the chefs prepare anything special for him. He is ok with fish and shrimp, a little bit of eggs and not crazy about milk anymore. I havent been able to make soup with chicken broth lately. lol He wanted to know how others felt about the food, if it was good or a "hit or miss" type. He is a young teen and, well, we know how teens are. Discovering likes and dislikes. Once again, thank you for your detailed response. I am going to show him in a bit.

Oh, I totally get it. My daughter had one friend that we used to joke about with the "diet of the month." I quit making anything when I knew she was coming over--if the kids were happy with what was in the fridge, fine. If not, well, they were invited to "hang out," not for a meal.

I'm NOT being critical of his choices. Whether it comes from a health standpoint of an animal rights standpoint, trying it out is a fine thing. He'll have adequate choices no matter what.

We were on the Ruby in January, and there are lots of vegetarian options marked on the menu in the MDR. If he doesn't care for the entrée that night, he can always order multiple items or larger portions from the starters section, which includes appetizers, soups and salads. There is always a fish option each night too.

If your son is serious about only eating vegetarian meals, then the first evening you should meat with your headwaiter. The headwaiter will go over the next day's dining room menus with your son.

Often items that are not vegetarian can be prepared for him to be vegetarian. For example, soups with a chicken base or beef base can be prepared with a non-meat base instead. Princess is used to this, so it is not unusual for specially prepared dishes to be available.

Now if your son is wanting to eliminate milk, that is changing from vegetarian to vegan and many more items will not be available to him. For example, cakes are usually made with some milk in the recipe. They will not make a special dessert with soy "milk" instead. And, of course, the milk chocolates left on the bed each evening would also not be part of a diet that eliminated milk.

On one of my cruises, one of my table mates was from India and vegetarian. The head waiter would also find out what they were serving the crew-many of them vegetarian. Sometimes that was brought instead of the 'vegetarian' items on the menu.

Oh' date=' I totally get it. My daughter had one friend that we used to joke about with the "diet of the month." I quit making anything when I knew she was coming over--if the kids were happy with what was in the fridge, fine. If not, well, they were invited to "hang out," not for a meal.

I'm NOT being critical of his choices. Whether it comes from a health standpoint of an animal rights standpoint, trying it out is a fine thing. He'll have adequate choices no matter what.[/quote']

Thank you! I did not take you as being critical at all. He is a young teen- as parents, we know how they can be! Lol.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

On one of my cruises, one of my table mates was from India and vegetarian. The head waiter would also find out what they were serving the crew-many of them vegetarian. Sometimes that was brought instead of the 'vegetarian' items on the menu.

Oh, that’s good to know. I would have never guessed they would do that. Thank you for the info.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

The pumpkin crepes on 2nd formal night are awesome! Just as good as the lobster IMO, & of course the fettucine alfredo if he does dairy. All eggplant dishes are great too.

Great info! Thank you. He does a little bit of dairy right now and loves eggplant.

I was on a Cruise one time and a lady at our table was a vegetarian. At dinner he’s ate a bowl of Broccoli & Mahi-mahi fish every night. :p Yes I said Every night!!!

Tony

UGH! Thats horrible. I would have been so bored! Thankfully my lil guy likes a variety. lol