New England/Canada cruise question! HELP!

rilco33647

Need a little help please.

We want to do a 7 night New England/Cananda cruise (DH and me). It'll be 6/2018. RCCL Adventure of the Seas (less expensive, departs out of NJ, pretty dated shipped even after refurbishment) OR NCL Gem (more expensive, departs out of NYC, seems a bit nicer). Port heavy cruise---4 ports, 2 seas days. 11th cruise--sailed on RCCL, NCL (just off Escape), HAL, Carnival, Celebrity.

3,2,1........GO!!!!!! (Thanks, in advance, for your honest opinions)

I agree, the ports are what makes this trip. If they are the same, I would go on the Adventure of the Seas . I only have been on the Mariner of the Seas which is a sister ship but its a beautiful ship. I love the Royal Promenade.

We did the Gem to Canada in September and it was a great ship. Are the ports the same between the 2 ships? Are the order of ports the same? For the Gem, we went from NY up to Canada and then had to clear customs on the ship before we hit the first US port... then customs again getting off. It would be better if you did New England first so that you didn't have to clear customs... then on to canada and then back to NY.

I would consider Gem and Adventure pretty much on par as far as the ships go. Both older and smaller. If the ports were the same, then to me it would boil down to cost.

When I was trying to figure out which ship for our trip (Anthem vs Breakaway), I did a spreadsheet and looked at all the costs. So I added up transportation, parking, room, service charge and any other amenities (for example free drink package vs paying for it on RC). Due to the Free at Sea options, we opted for Breakaway.

what are the typical ages of those sailing to canada...how are the ports...is it exciting or should i look somewhere else?

We have only taken one, in late September after school had started, so it probably isn't representative of a similar cruise earlier in September. I would guess the average age was over 60; very few young people on board. This was on the NCL Gem.

We did the 14 day BTB on the Dawn last fall - had a great time. An interesting mix of pax as we had Canadians doing the Quebec to Quebec as well as a few Boston to Quebec ers and some of us doing the Boston to Boston route. I agree that this route is very port intensive but the ports are interesting and well worth it both in history and fun places to visit. This route is surely more about the ports than the ship. Although we did eat breakfast and dinner and saw a show or two we really did not spend that much time onboard. Boston is a great city and port - one reason I chose the Dawn over the Gem. Aside from the ship excursions, we found that car rental and self guided tours were a great alternative - we also hired taxi companies who turn into private tour guides when ships are in town - we found lots of good ideas from others on our roll call and trip advisor- Tom's guides are also a great source of info. I also found the tourism web sites for several of the towns we were visiting and signed up for tourist information. I got a slew of books and maps.

Good Luck no matter which way you go.

• 3 months later...
I think you should go on the Gem's 10/14/17 sailing. Great time to see the fall colors and the rumor mill has it there's a fun group onboard! 😀

Sent from my XT1650 using Forums mobile app

Or, you could try the Gem on 10/21. 10 days, all Canadian ports with an overnight in Quebec. We will be on that one and I think you'd have a great time. By the way I have sailed on the Gem and she is a beautiful ship. Recently refurbished too. 😀

We did the Gem to Canada in September and it was a great ship. Are the ports the same between the 2 ships? Are the order of ports the same? For the Gem, we went from NY up to Canada and then had to clear customs on the ship before we hit the first US port... then customs again getting off. It would be better if you did New England first so that you didn't have to clear customs... then on to canada and then back to NY.

I was on the Gem this past June and did not have to go through customs a second time when returning to NY. Only at the first US port (Bar Harbor) after leaving Canada.

We did the 14 day BTB on the Dawn last fall - had a great time. An interesting mix of pax as we had Canadians doing the Quebec to Quebec as well as a few Boston to Quebec ers and some of us doing the Boston to Boston route. I agree that this route is very port intensive but the ports are interesting and well worth it both in history and fun places to visit. This route is surely more about the ports than the ship. Although we did eat breakfast and dinner and saw a show or two we really did not spend that much time onboard. Boston is a great city and port - one reason I chose the Dawn over the Gem. Aside from the ship excursions, we found that car rental and self guided tours were a great alternative - we also hired taxi companies who turn into private tour guides when ships are in town - we found lots of good ideas from others on our roll call and trip advisor- Tom's guides are also a great source of info. I also found the tourism web sites for several of the towns we were visiting and signed up for tourist information. I got a slew of books and maps.

Good Luck no matter which way you go.

Was with bonvoyagie on that cruise.

1st leg of the B2B:

Departs Boston

Portland MA USA

Halifax NS

Charlottetown PEI

Gaspe QB * tender port

Saguenay QB

Arrives Quebec City

-overnight-

2nd leg of B2B:

Departs Quebec City

Sydney NS

Halifax NS * note Halifax stop both direction # see below for more comments

St. Johns (bay of fundy) NB

Bar Harbor MA USA * clear CBI and this is a tender port.

Arrives back at Boston

# Whatever you do - do not miss the extraordinary museum right at the pier

Historical data of the immigrant movement from Europe to North America.

A lot of history of the rescue of the Titanic survivors - absolutely outstanding

and it is FREE !

The are a lot of options with ships sailing out of Boston New York and Newark.

Most of these are 7 day closed loop cruises (depart and arrive back at same city).

But personally I would not consider any trip without a port call at Quebec City.

We have done New England/Canada twice: it is all about the ports, depending on which ports and how any would sway me. Both times we did the NE cruise, we did it in the fall,but anytime is fine. I would go for the one with more ports unless the price is a lot different.

I was on the Gem this past June and did not have to go through customs a second time when returning to NY. Only at the first US port (Bar Harbor) after leaving Canada.

We were on the Gem the last week of June. We had to go thru Customs on the ship and back in NYC also. I still don't understand why we had to go thru twice.

We were on the Gem the last week of June. We had to go thru Customs on the ship and back in NYC also. I still don't understand why we had to go thru twice.

Were both Customs stops the same ?

Maybe confusion with CBI clearing on the ship with the port call prior to NYC - AND - then the customs duty free

declaration of foreign goods being brought into the USA a paper document and separate customs function.

The CBI check on the ship was Customs and Border Immigration control.

The NYC customs was for duty free taxable imported items.

Strange but I had this happen on the DAWN NE cruise this past autumn - Cleared CBI at Bar Harbor while on

the ship and then the duty free paper document collected at Boston.

This is a people friendly way to move crowds in limited space and time to turn ships around for the next cruise.

The first was US Immigration where you show your passports, and the second was US Customs where you declare/pay for the goods you purchased while out of USA.

any information on ports of Gaspe, Saquenay, and Sydney, Nova Scotia would be appreciated. Specifically is these are ports that we can do on our own? Is there easy access and/or transportation from the pier at these ports? Or is it necessary to book tours?

any information on ports of Gaspe, Saquenay, and Sydney, Nova Scotia would be appreciated. Specifically is these are ports that we can do on our own? Is there easy access and/or transportation from the pier at these ports? Or is it necessary to book tours?

Hi, I haven't cruised to Canada before, but will be soon.

I went to do my own research.

Here are some sites to check:

https://www.whatsinport.com/Canada.html

http://www.sydneyport.ca/cruise/things-to-do/

https://www.cruisecritic.com/ports/newport.cfm?ID=6065

The last site listed - click on "Related Ports of Call" to see other ports.

Have fun!

Hi, I haven't cruised to Canada before, but will be soon.

I went to do my own research.

Here are some sites to check:

https://www.whatsinport.com/Canada.html

http://www.sydneyport.ca/cruise/things-to-do/

https://www.cruisecritic.com/ports/newport.cfm?ID=6065

The last site listed - click on "Related Ports of Call" to see other ports.

Have fun!

Thank you so much! Just what I've been looking for! I'm new to CC and can't figure out how to get around to find info and post etc.

Look at the sailings that are available for booking - do a dummy booking and check out the shore excursions

that are available for ideas of what to do.

Factor that in with your budget booking.

There are always foot leather hiking walking trips that can be taken while in port.

Getting off the ship for a moment to breath the fresh Atlantic Canada New England fall air is easy.

In a couple of hours you can cover 3-5 miles of distance at zero cost to your wallet and plus to health benefits.

Some of these can be far from the maddening crowd and others right in the thick of it.

Member of a travel affinity group (AAA) visit and get more printed information.

Have a TV service see if there is a channel with information you are looking for.

AND of course there is always this internet thingy here !