What's the waiting like when your bucket list cruise is booked but in 2 years

amazonracer

Torture in the beginning. Then you'll kind of forget about it for a while , being its so far off. And then, BOOM! those last few months, then weeks, then days, creep up on you and it's like Christmas all over again. Oh, the sweet anticipation! At least that's how it was for me with Alaska! [emoji3]

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

March 30, 2019 on the Bliss from Miami to LA through the Canal. Tom Petty sang it best. "The waiting is the hardest part".

Was "lucky" enough to be working 60 hour weeks for 4 months at a time, so I really only thought about the cruise while working 40 hour weeks, and then I used the time to read The Path Between the Seas, great book for PC anticipation. Too old to wish my life away, made it a point to enjoy everyday life, living every day instead of waiting for the distant future.

You'll spend a lot of time on CC answering the same questions over and over and over and over and......

Or just wake up one day and say: " Screw it honey - we are going in a few months. I am not waiting until 2019."

LOL!

Agree with most everything the pp have said, just want to add in my experience the cruise sorta becomes like Cooking Thanksgiving dinner.

You plan and plan and buy and prep and prep and cook and cook ....and then sit down and it's all over so quick. After experiencing the worst PCD of my life after our bucket cruise 'round the horn which was booked a year and half or more in advance, I learned on way to keep from falling into the abyss was to be sure and have the next cruise booked!

Just returned from a bucket list cruise (Baltics, including St. Petersburg). Booked it one year prior to sailing. The waiting was the hardest part, as you had mentioned. But after the first few weeks, I got busy with family and work. Then about 3-4 months out, the cruise came back into focus.

Then the cruise came and went so fast. It was over before we even knew it.

Congratulations! Our bucket list cruise (Europe) is coming up soon and that was booked maybe 18 months out. I have done enough research to feel like I've kind of done the trip already. I've watched countless videos of sailing out of Venice and into each port we're going to; I've looked at satellite images from Google maps to view each port, and I know where to turn left, right, and where to go for lunch, ice cream, krempita... My travel document is full of restaurant suggestions, things to see, do, walk by, notice. To me, the research and prep work is part of the fun of traveling.

It will be here before you know it!

March 30, 2019 on the Bliss from Miami to LA through the Canal. Tom Petty sang it best. "The waiting is the hardest part".

Omg this song is literally playing on the radio while I read this. Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Torture, kidding sort of. I booked mine 18 months out. Transatlantic, honestly I didn't care were the ports were I just wanted to most sea days possible :) In the beginning I was super excited, found I couldn't stand the wait and booked one In between on the same ship just so that I could make sure I liked the ship, The Epic.

Had a blast and now that I am 115 days from flying to Barcelona the excitement gets me through the bad days at work and all is well.

Did I mention that CC is my go to place when I pick up my phone?

I almost dread for it to be here because then it will be over. Guess I will move on to the next item on the list :)

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

I booked our Panama Canal cruise for October 2018 back in April -- about 500 days out. The anticipation immediately hit. I've read everything I could find on CC about the ship, the canal, the ports, everything. I'm about half way through "The Path Between the Seas". Yesterday, I found out that the Sun has been repositioned and our cruise is canceled. AAAARGH!

There is a dark side to booking over a year ahead.

About to go on our dream vacation booked 2 years ago on our Epic Med cruise. (Also a dream cruise):cool:

Off to Hawaii POA with a stop in Disneyland for 3 nights on the way. Followed by 5 nights at Aulani(Disney resort) Oahu and 1 night precruise in Waikiki.

So yes research, answer other posters questions. Set your itinerary, change it and go back to original plan a few times:')

I have Alaska booked next year so I will be getting some OBC when I get the cruise next.

I was told I can use that on a cruise I already booked for 2018....Is that correct?

thanks

Kerri

My advice is to back away for the majority of that time and do other things. If you over-plan and over-prepare, you are setting yourself up for disappointment when things don't turn out exactly as you expect. I see it happen here all the time. Let some things remain undiscovered until you are on the ship. Don't wear out the wonder of it all before you've even set sail. Don't obsess so much that the cruise itself turns out to be anti-climactic.

Just plan every port in depth. That's what I did last fall after booking 2 years ahead. My husband wanted to be surprised, but I wanted every detail to be special. Not everything was what we hoped, but we have good attitudes. It was an incredible vacation. Planning 2 years allows you to budget for everything really well. IMO, that's the best part.

Such great ideas and advice on this thread! My modus operands is to book my cruises way in advance, watching prices to see if they go down, sweet torture that it is to think about them, but also plan summer land-based vacations in the meantime (I cruise mostly in the winter). I live in Boston and recently discovered Mid-Coast Maine--Wow! Not for cruising but a week by the sea is still great.