Need suggestions for 2 nights before cruise out of Long Beach

lucy2mb

On our next cruise we will be going on the Carnival Splendor out of Long Beach. We would like to spend a couple of days sight seeing around Los Angeles before the cruise since we have never been there before. I originally thought we would stay in Long Beach but it will cost too much I think to go back and forth. We would like to go to CBS television studio and some other places around there. I need some suggestions about what area of Los Angeles would be best for us to stay. Also, we need a place that will sleep six. Thanks for any suggestions you can give me.

Sleeping six on a budget in LA is going to be an issue. I would search for Marriott Residence Inn or Hilton Homewood Suites. They will be your best bet for two bedroom with maybe a sofa sleeper. "LA" is a huge area so it might help if you narrow down what you would like to do, Theme Parks, museums, etc. If you have any interest in Presidential museums there are two in the LA area (Reagan and Nixon). Queen Mary and Catalina Island fun. So much to do and so little time.

Sleeping six on a budget in LA is going to be an issue. I would search for Marriott Residence Inn or Hilton Homewood Suites. They will be your best bet for two bedroom with maybe a sofa sleeper. "LA" is a huge area so it might help if you narrow down what you would like to do, Theme Parks, museums, etc. If you have any interest in Presidential museums there are two in the LA area (Reagan and Nixon). Queen Mary and Catalina Island fun. So much to do and so little time.

I found a place in Long Beach that would sleep 6 of us but after doing some research, I am afraid we will do most of our sight seeing in areas that are not close to Long Beach. I know we would like to get tickets to the Price is Right but not sure where else we would like to go. I am just starting to do research to find the best tour for us for the other day. Wish we did have more time to spend sight seeing. I know one of our daughters would love to go to Harry Potter World. I don't know too much about the Warner Brothers tour or Universal Studio tour but one of those may be something we would like to do. Wish the place at Long Beach would work but I am afraid we would have an hour drive to go to most places we would want to visit.

I usually don't recommend too many places in Hollywood...but, for what you want to do and the need for a suite that sleeps six, this one is well-located--right behind the Hollywood and Highland complex (Chinese Theater, Walk of Fame, etc.) and gets excellent reviews...and has suites that accommodate up to eight people...

http://www.orchidsuites.com/

There are also a lot of hotels where you may find two adjoining rooms with connecting door to accommodate six...

Consider also staying in Universal City--nice area, in the Universal Studios complex--there's a Hilton and a Sheraton...You'd be close to studios--and to the theme park...and an UberX from CBS...and an Uber or even a short Metro ride to Hollywood proper.

Good luck...

Following up on Steve’s post.

If you stay at Universal Studios area you can take the Metro Redline into the Hollywood area.

metro.net.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

TV shows you can apply for tickets but there's no guarantee you will get in. Better chance if you are from out of town, but still no guarantee. Apply early. We did Harry Potter at Orlando last year and it is very cool. If that's important then I would stay at the Universal Hilton or close. You can easily spend all your time at the park and city walk. CBS Studios to Universal is only about two miles.

I usually don't recommend too many places in Hollywood...but, for what you want to do and the need for a suite that sleeps six, this one is well-located--right behind the Hollywood and Highland complex (Chinese Theater, Walk of Fame, etc.) and gets excellent reviews...and has suites that accommodate up to eight people...

http://www.orchidsuites.com/

There are also a lot of hotels where you may find two adjoining rooms with connecting door to accommodate six...

Consider also staying in Universal City--nice area, in the Universal Studios complex--there's a Hilton and a Sheraton...You'd be close to studios--and to the theme park...and an UberX from CBS...and an Uber or even a short Metro ride to Hollywood proper.

Good luck...

Thanks for the info. Trying to decide where to stay is a lot harder going out of Long Beach because the area is so large where we would like to go sight seeing. We will probably only have about a day and a half before the cruise to sight see. I want to be in a safe area and close to where ever we decide to go. I will check out the places you mentioned. Thank you again!

Following up on Steve’s post.

If you stay at Universal Studios area you can take the Metro Redline into the Hollywood area.

metro.net.

If we stay in Universal Studios area, what would be the best way to get to the port at Long Beach the morning of the cruise?

Could you split it up and stay in two different places? It would be kind of annoying to not get settled somewhere, but that would allow you to be up near Universal and Hollywood for one day, then you could switch and stay somewhere near the cruise port for the second night. We were in the LA area for our kids' fall break last year and stayed in Newport Beach which is further south than Long Beach (20 miles or so, I'd guess?). We went to Universal Studios for a day, and in traffic it was close to 90 minutes each way driving.

TV shows you can apply for tickets but there's no guarantee you will get in. Better chance if you are from out of town, but still no guarantee. Apply early. We did Harry Potter at Orlando last year and it is very cool. If that's important then I would stay at the Universal Hilton or close. You can easily spend all your time at the park and city walk. CBS Studios to Universal is only about two miles.

I am glad you told me that. I went back to the Price is Right site and read about the tickets again. I thought if we got priority tickets that it would guarantee we would get in. I didn't know they over book to have a full audience. It would be sad to go two hours in advance and not get in. I will need to have a family discussion to see if they still want to try to get in the show. I had planned to have t-shirts made that would let them know we are from North Carolina.

Having grown up in Southern California, I believe that you are attempting to do too much in too little time. You will most likely want to spend the night before your cruise in Long Beach, so that leaves only one night in the Hollywood-Studio City area. Better to add a couple of more days to your visit to do it right. Be aware that the traffic in the L.A. area can be horrendous, so expect to spend much time in stop-and-go traffic. If you are staying in Long Beach, Disneyland isn't too far away, but it's quite a drive to the TV and Movie studios.

In case you aren't aware, Carnival's cruise port building in Long Beach is a huge dome which once housed Howard Hughes' "Spruce Goose" and is right next to a legendary cruise ship, The Queen Mary. If you have time, a tour of the Queen Mary is worthwhile to see how steamship travel used to be.

Personally, I would skip the studio tour. Return on investment is low. I usually have my own car when in the area so can't really talk about method of transport from Universal to the port. If it were me, I wouldn't leave Universal until after 10:00 AM and probably plan on being there by noon (weekday), might be a little faster on the weekend.

Having lived in various parts of the LA area for many years, I repeatedly saw people trying to cram too much into short periods of time they were visiting and land up getting stuck in crowds and traffic while trying to criss-cross this megalopolis.

Long Beach itself has come a long way and has plenty to do in the less than 48 hours you will have.

There is the Queen Mary, the Aquarium, and right near there is a touristy area called Shoreline Village just a short way from the cruise port, which is great for family fun and assorted restaurants, and there is assorted shopping across the road. There is a long, quiet beach you can walk downcoast on for several miles, or on the bluff above it in some spots, or play in the sand.

Ten minutes drive from Ocean Avenue downtown is the Hampton Inn Seal Beach, which is very affordable for families (you could get two adjoining rooms to sleep six)and includes buffet breakfast, clean and safe, no charge for parking, one hour to downtown LA.

BUT, if you gotta do Harry Potter than you gotta!!! We have actually spent a few nights at the Hotel Queen Mary. It's very cool. The history is unbelievable. We have also taken the ferry out to Catalina Island for the day and it's a pretty cool place to spend the day. You wouldn't believe you are only 30 miles from LA.

Having grown up in Southern California, I believe that you are attempting to do too much in too little time. You will most likely want to spend the night before your cruise in Long Beach, so that leaves only one night in the Hollywood-Studio City area. Better to add a couple of more days to your visit to do it right. Be aware that the traffic in the L.A. area can be horrendous, so expect to spend much time in stop-and-go traffic. If you are staying in Long Beach, Disneyland isn't too far away, but it's quite a drive to the TV and Movie studios.

In case you aren't aware, Carnival's cruise port building in Long Beach is a huge dome which once housed Howard Hughes' "Spruce Goose" and is right next to a legendary cruise ship, The Queen Mary. If you have time, a tour of the Queen Mary is worthwhile to see how steamship travel used to be.

Thank you for the information. I did not know that about the cruise port building. Because of having luggage to deal with, do you think staying in Long Beach both nights would be better?

On our next cruise we will be going on the Carnival Splendor out of Long Beach. We would like to spend a couple of days sight seeing around Los Angeles before the cruise since we have never been there before. I originally thought we would stay in Long Beach but it will cost too much I think to go back and forth. We would like to go to CBS television studio and some other places around there. I need some suggestions about what area of Los Angeles would be best for us to stay. Also, we need a place that will sleep six. Thanks for any suggestions you can give me.

Stay at The garland hotel. North Hollywood/universal. And from universal you can jump on the subway. That's a very central location. If it's too much for 6 people there are several nice places in the studio city/Burbank/north Hollywood area. I should know I live right here!

If we stay in Universal Studios area, what would be the best way to get to the port at Long Beach the morning of the cruise?

SuperShuttle. Go to their web site. You can get the whole van to yourself(s). They have a good app too. Make sure you google got coupons. !!!

SuperShuttle. Go to their web site. You can get the whole van to yourself(s). They have a good app too. Make sure you google got coupons. !!!

As someone from the LA area, with 6 people you might do better with Uber or even a taxi.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I am following because we have the same issue. I’m looking for a hotel in LA but I am scared that we may get stuck in a crazy neighborhood. But I don’t want to spend a bazillion dollars.

Staying near universal is a good idea.

For the OP, can you look at the carnival shuttle? Will that help? Is super shuttle an option?

I tested from universal to Long Beach cruise terminal using uber and though it may work with 6 passengers and cost less , the real question is will it work with 6 peeps AND LUGGAGE???? With super shuttle you get the whole van to yourselves!

Thank you everyone for the information. We will be flying out of North Carolina early and arrive in LAX around noon. From what someone suggested, I think staying close to Long Beach the night before the cruise will be best for us. With having luggage to deal with, it will probably be easier to stay there both nights, so I am looking for a place close to Long Beach now. I have looked at places with airbnb but not sure if we should stay in a residential area or get two hotel rooms that are nice with breakfast included and have reasonable rates for us. We definitely need two full baths. I am thinking about sightseeing in Long Beach that first afternoon and doing something special in Los Angeles area on our full day before the cruise. Any suggestions of places to stay around Long Beach will be appreciated. Thank you!

Thank you everyone for the information. We will be flying out of North Carolina early and arrive in LAX around noon. From what someone suggested, I think staying close to Long Beach the night before the cruise will be best for us. With having luggage to deal with, it will probably be easier to stay there both nights, so I am looking for a place close to Long Beach now. I have looked at places with airbnb but not sure if we should stay in a residential area or get two hotel rooms that are nice with breakfast included and have reasonable rates for us. We definitely need two full baths. I am thinking about sightseeing in Long Beach that first afternoon and doing something special in Los Angeles area on our full day before the cruise. Any suggestions of places to stay around Long Beach will be appreciated. Thank you!

Well, now that you've sort of settled in on Long Beach...the next question is how you plan on getting around. If you are renting a car (or a minivan in your case), you can stay in a lot of areas...but you will deal with parking and traffic. If you do not want to rent a car, you still have lots of options. For that short a time and staying in Long Beach, you can use Uber or a shuttle service to get to the hotel from the airport, you can use Sunseeker Tours for a tour of Los Angeles/Hollywood/Beverly Hills et al from LB if you want...or the Metro if you are daring...and, for getting around Long Beach, if you stay in the right place, you can walk or use the free Passport shuttle service.

There is a very limited area of Long Beach in which you want to stay...and, therefore, a limited number of hotels.

Here is my standard Long Beach hotel list:

"A" List: The BEST places to stay are the Hyatt, Westin, Renaissance and Hyatt Centric (also known as Hyatt at the Pike) …These put you right in the heart of the tourist area with very convenient walks to restaurants, shops and attractions and easy access to the free "Passport" shuttle...and those ARE the nicest hotels in town. Doesn't necessarily mean they are higher priced, though...and you can often get a real deal via Priceline...

http://www.longbeach.hyatt.com/en/hotel/home.html

http://www.westinlongbeachhotel.com/

http://thepikelongbeach.hyatt.com/en/hotel/home.html

http://www.marriott.com/hotels/travel/lgbrn-renaissance-long-beach-hotel/

"B" List: Slightly further away, but still in decent walking distance, is the Hilton. Just across the bridge (on the same side of the channel as the Carnival Pier...but convenient with the Passport shuttle) are the Marriott Residence Inn Downtown and the Maya Doubletree...

http://www3.hilton.com/en/hotels/california/hilton-long-beach-LGBLHHF/index.html

http://doubletree3.hilton.com/en/hotels/california/hotel-maya-a-doubletree-by-hilton-LGBMYDT/index.html

http://www.marriott.com/hotels/travel/lgbri-residence-inn-long-beach-downtown/

"C" List: Slightly outside the prime area and/or not necessarily the nicest hotels for one reason or another, but options if all else fails are the Marriott Courtyard and the Best Western Long Beach Convention Center...The Queen Mary is across the bridge ...and right next to the Carnival Terminal...however, I am not a big fan of the Queen Mary--unless you are on there for nostalgia's sake...It's not exactly a first class hotel by today's standards--the rooms are small, condition questionable, etc.

http://www.marriott.com/hotels/travel/lgbcy-courtyard-long-beach-downtown/

https://www.bestwestern.com/content/best-western/en_US/booking-path/hotel-details.05642.html?propertyCode=05642&arrivalMonthYear=&arrivalDay=&departureMonthYear=&departureDay=&sob=C05&disablenav=false

http://www.queenmary.com/stay-aboard/stay-aboard/

One word of warning: Do NOT go looking for bargains outside of this short list of hotels...Long Beach is a BIG city...there are lots of different areas, some better, some worse...some not so close to the port or the tourist areas...That bargain hotel MAY tell you it's near the Convention Center or near the port...but it may not be...it may be in an undesirable area or location. You want to have a pleasant stay--stick to this list.

"Reasonable" is a relative term. Decent hotels in the Greater Los Angeles area tend to sound pricey to a lot of people coming from areas where the cost of living is a lot less. Breakfast included may be difficult to find...but just figure in the price of stopping by some local place--even fast food--and picking up a cheap breakfast.

This area of Long Beach means you will have a large choice of restaurants nearby, you will have nice shops and picturesque scenery and places to walk and enjoy...You will be close to sites like the Aquarium and the Queen Mary if you want to have a little sightseeing... One word of warning: Do NOT go looking for bargains outside of this short list of hotels...Long Beach is a BIG city...there are lots of different areas, some better, some worse...some not so close to the port or the tourist areas...That bargain hotel MAY tell you it's near the Convention Center or near the port...but it may not be...it may be in an undesirable area or location. You want to have a pleasant stay--stick to this list.

This area of Long Beach means you will have a large choice of restaurants nearby, you will have nice shops and picturesque scenery and places to walk and enjoy...You will be close to sites like the Aquarium and the Queen Mary if you want to have a little sightseeing...Long Beach runs a free shuttle service called the "Passport" which will take you all over the Downtown area:

http://www.lbtransit.com/services/passport.aspx

Good luck and have fun...