Losing tips for foodies?

SPECIAL NOTICE: There is an issue with the main login on the forums on many browsers. Go to our homepage: HOMEPAGE and use the login located at the main top nav.. Then, choose BOARDS on the nav. We apologize for any inconvenience.
Lose Before You Cruise
A place for cruisers to share their stories of how to lose weight before a cruise. Virtual snacks allowed, but only in small quantities.
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 04:04 AM.
Wyoming
1,060 Posts
Joined Aug 2011
I know I'm not the only person who needs to lose because I really enjoy eating.

The only system that has ever worked for me is simply drastically cutting calories. (I even went to some visits to get ready for bariatric surgery, but the doctor insisted on clearance from the out-of-date nutritionist who required I basically live on plain steamed chicken and water. If I could live on that, I wouldn't need the surgery.) Diet food is too often BORING, and my attempts at dieting are make harder because I'm in stage 3 kidney failure, so can't just add flavor by throwing on salt.

One tip that has helped me is butter (NOT margarine, I've avoided trans fats for 30+ years). I'll eat something fairly small for a meal, like a sandwich or a fried egg on a mini naan, but I'm usually still hungry. A handful of vegetables sauteed in a tablespoon of butter is pretty much 100 calories (90 mg sodium) and keeps me full for hours. (150 calories if I include corn as part of the veggies.) I've used frozen mixed veggies as well as fresh mushrooms or cauliflower; the butter adds enough flavor that I don't feel I'm eating cardboard. (Of course it would be better if I could eat the veggies plain. But my choices are eat plain veggies and still crave something with flavor, or add the 100 calories of butter and not cheat later.)

Down 4 lb so far!
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Most of the members here are great! But when you get tired of incorrect information from unhelpful posters, the Ignore List is your friend!
Norwegian Pearl May 21, 2017 - Alaska
First cruise EVER on RCL Oasis of the Seas July 27, 2013 - Eastern Caribbean
19,687 Posts
Joined Aug 2013
Sorry for your kidney problem. Do you attribute your 4 lb loss to your "butter" tip? i have shied away from too much pasta and take more bread and butter instead. May have to rethink my "new" eating habit.

Sent from my iPad using Forums
Wyoming
1,060 Posts
Joined Aug 2011
Only indirectly. I attribute the weight loss to reducing calories overall. The butter tip just helps me eat fewer calories by increasing flavor and satiety of a bowl of vegetables.

I'm also not sure why you consider bread and butter an improvement over pasta. Bread and pasta are both primarily carbs with some protein. (Unless you mean one slice of bread instead of a big bowl of pasta.)
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Most of the members here are great! But when you get tired of incorrect information from unhelpful posters, the Ignore List is your friend!
19,687 Posts
Joined Aug 2013
Pasta has been my favorite. Used to just have a big bowl but now takes only a half but with bread and butter. This is what I hope to change.
Wyoming
1,060 Posts
Joined Aug 2011
Plain pasta or with sauce?
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
231 Posts
Joined Apr 2016
My biggest tip would be to research some recipes so that you can find things that taste great but are still healthy. There are plenty of them out there! And yes, butter doesn't have to be feared by those looking to lose weight. For example, Kerigold butter is made from grass-fed cows, which means that it contains vitamins and CLA. One tablespoon has 100 calories, but it goes a really long way and adds a lot of flavor.

I def don't believe in super low calorie diets. Never below 1200 for women and 1500 for men, but everyone is different in their calorie needs. If you restrict too much, you end up losing muscle mass.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
-Premier Cruise Line's The Big Red Boat 11/91 | Bahamas
-Norwegian Majesty 12/13/08 | Bahamas
-Carnival Fascination 12/12/09 | 5 Night Bahamas
-Carnival Legend 7/17/11 | 7 Night Western
-Carnival Sensation 1/08/12 | 4 Night Bahamas
-Carnival Freedom 1/06/13 | 6 Night Western
-Royal Caribbean Explorer August 12, 2016 | 7 Night Alaska
-Royal Caribbean Oasis Jan 22, 2017 | 7 Night Eastern

Upcoming:
-Carnival Vista Jan 2018 | 8 Night Eastern Caribbean
-Independence of the Seas Jan 2019 | 5 Night Western Caribbean

"Now...bring me that horizon!"
-Captain Jack Sparrow
South Carolina
28,896 Posts
Joined Dec 2001
No matter what you're eating ... Stop eating when you are beginning to fill full ... You will lose weight.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Happy Sailing! OCruisers (LuLu & Roundman)
80+ Cruises .... Princess, Celebrity, RCCL, HAL, Carnival, NCL, Costa, etc. (Still miss Sitmar)
Wyoming
1,060 Posts
Joined Aug 2011
Easyboy, look into shredding zucchini or fork-separating spaghetti squash to put the carbonara sauce on instead of pasta. Healthier and takes sauce very well. (Go easy on the bacon if you make the sauce yourself, a little goes a long way.)

OCruisers, that has never worked for me. After 40 years of dieting, my metabolism crawls along and I can GAIN weight on 1000 cal/day. DH and I are both working out at the Y 2-3x/wk and hopefully that will help stimulate my metabolism, but between hip replacement, back pain, and no serious exercise for 10+ years, I'm having to start small. (I'm fairly proud of myself tonight, my back has been really bothering me today but I did NOT make that an excuse to skip the Y. I went and did what I could, just skipped the machines that didn't have a back support.)
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
19,687 Posts
Joined Aug 2013
Originally posted by mamasylvia
Easyboy, look into shredding zucchini or fork-separating spaghetti squash to put the carbonara sauce on instead of pasta. Healthier and takes sauce very well. (Go easy on the bacon if you make the sauce yourself, a little goes a long way.)
Thanks for the pasta alternate. Will try it sometime.
South East
262 Posts
Joined Oct 2007
I swear by the dukan diet. After 4 protein days cravings absolutely decrease. It's a life struggle for me and I slowly started creeping back up till. I am back on it ... two weeks in an already feel better and notice that clothing fits better. I know I need to get on the scale but I have a problem with that... fear of scales

Sent from my iPhone using Forums
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Carnival Spirit -Christmas 2001
Carnival Fascination 9/18/06
Crown Princess 1/26/08 (25th Anniv.)
Carnival Legend 12/28/08
Carnival Freedom 1/2/10
NCL Sun 1/7/2012
RC Serenade of the Seas 1/4/2013 (Italy and Spain 30th Anniv.)
Pride of America 1/4/2014 (Hawaii)
RC Legend of the Seas 1/5/2015
Dawn Princess 1/3/2016 (Sydney/New Zealand)
RC Serenade of the Seas 1/2/2017 (Caribbean)
pittsburgh pa
25 Posts
Joined Jun 2013
Eating clean, no processed and carbs with the bulk in veggies. Good lean protein. For flavor add fresh spices, smoked paprika with chili powder is awesome. I also add some good fats, olive oil or ghee. I try to be as dairy free as possible. Weigh and log everything!
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
cruising.cockroach {at} gmail hotmail and yahoo
1,615 Posts
Joined May 2012
Originally posted by mamasylvia
OCruisers, that has never worked for me. After 40 years of dieting, my metabolism crawls along and I can GAIN weight on 1000 cal/day.
Read the study about weight gain in contestants of Biggest Loser or some such. Their metabolism was permanently reduced by their crash diets and all except 1 (out of 15 or 16) put back most of their weight.

No encouraging but I have a friend who fell ino the crash diet twice (worked, lost lots of weight but put it all back on).

You can read my blog, link in the losing weight for men thread
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Using cruise lines as a cheap means of comfortable if not speedy intercontinental travel....

Upcoming Sep 2017 Celebrity Millennium Vancouver-Yokohama

May 2017 MS Chi-Cheemaun Tobermory - South Baymouth
Mar 2016 Star Princess San Pedro-Vancouver
Mar 2016 CMA CGM Libra HongKong - Long Beach
Jan 2016 RV Yandabo Bagan-Mandalay

Nov 2015 Tirrenia Bithia Janas Arbatax - Civitavecchia
Oct 2015 Saremar Ichnusa Bonifacio-Santa Teresa de Gallura
Oct 2015 Corsica Ferries Corsica Victoria Savona - Bastia
Oct 2014 HAL Zaandam Vancouver-Valparaiso
Mar 2014 Corsica Ferries Mega Express 3 Toulon-Ajaccio & Bastia-Nice
Oct. 2012 HAL Prinsendam Civitavecchia-Fort Lauderdale
April 2012 Island Princess San Pedro-Vancouver
Kasr Ibrim Abu Simbel-Aswan Feb. 2007

Way, way back....
P&O Cathay between Singapore and Hong Kong and back, March 1968 + August 1969
Koeln-Dusseldorfer Line Rotterdam - Bern
Thomson Ithaca Tanger to Brindisi April 1974
Chandris Bruge-Norway-Tilbury August 1974
Chandris Southampton - Canary Islands + Madeira - Southampton August 1976
cruising.cockroach {at} gmail hotmail and yahoo
1,615 Posts
Joined May 2012
I want to add that avoiding sugar in all forms is also a key. It's pervasive in a lot of foods.

If it helps, I see Metamucil is now sold without added sugar. The added fibre will help you stay full and allegedly bind with sugar (and other starches)? Not that I'm saying that it's o.k. to ingest any sugar anyway...

I eat a lot of fat. It keeps you full and doesn't really contribute to weight gain.

It's sugar and starches that is stored a glycogen in your body and converts to triglycerides (i.e., simply fat) if you don't burn off the glycogen.

The other thing you could do is to stay cold. Keep your house cool, wear as little as possible and shiver. Your white fat will convert to brown fat which is metabolically active and burn about 5x more energy than white fat.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Using cruise lines as a cheap means of comfortable if not speedy intercontinental travel....

Upcoming Sep 2017 Celebrity Millennium Vancouver-Yokohama

May 2017 MS Chi-Cheemaun Tobermory - South Baymouth
Mar 2016 Star Princess San Pedro-Vancouver
Mar 2016 CMA CGM Libra HongKong - Long Beach
Jan 2016 RV Yandabo Bagan-Mandalay

Nov 2015 Tirrenia Bithia Janas Arbatax - Civitavecchia
Oct 2015 Saremar Ichnusa Bonifacio-Santa Teresa de Gallura
Oct 2015 Corsica Ferries Corsica Victoria Savona - Bastia
Oct 2014 HAL Zaandam Vancouver-Valparaiso
Mar 2014 Corsica Ferries Mega Express 3 Toulon-Ajaccio & Bastia-Nice
Oct. 2012 HAL Prinsendam Civitavecchia-Fort Lauderdale
April 2012 Island Princess San Pedro-Vancouver
Kasr Ibrim Abu Simbel-Aswan Feb. 2007

Way, way back....
P&O Cathay between Singapore and Hong Kong and back, March 1968 + August 1969
Koeln-Dusseldorfer Line Rotterdam - Bern
Thomson Ithaca Tanger to Brindisi April 1974
Chandris Bruge-Norway-Tilbury August 1974
Chandris Southampton - Canary Islands + Madeira - Southampton August 1976
Florida
20,367 Posts
Joined Nov 2008
I found drinking a lot of water worked.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
We've been on
Carnival: 27 voyages 184 days
Celebrity: 3 voyages 24 days
Holland: 29 voyages 661 days
Norwegian: 2 voyages 16 days
Princess: 16 voyages 154 days
Royal Carib: 5 voyages 35 days
Vantage:River 2 voyages 39 days
GRAND TOTAL: 84 Cruises 1118 days

NOT YET SAILED
Veendam Atlantic Crossing 10/17 - 49 days
Amsterdam World Cruise 1/18 - 113 days
Rotterdam Boston to Rotter 7/18 - 19 days
Prinsendam Amster to FTL 8/18 96 days
Zaandam Antarctic 12/18 - 22 days
Nieuw Statadam Carb. 1/19 - 7 days
Amsterdam World Cruise 1/19 113 days
Nieuw Statadam 9/19 20 days
Prinsendam 10/19 60 days
Florida
20,367 Posts
Joined Nov 2008
Thanks for the butter tip.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
We've been on
Carnival: 27 voyages 184 days
Celebrity: 3 voyages 24 days
Holland: 29 voyages 661 days
Norwegian: 2 voyages 16 days
Princess: 16 voyages 154 days
Royal Carib: 5 voyages 35 days
Vantage:River 2 voyages 39 days
GRAND TOTAL: 84 Cruises 1118 days

NOT YET SAILED
Veendam Atlantic Crossing 10/17 - 49 days
Amsterdam World Cruise 1/18 - 113 days
Rotterdam Boston to Rotter 7/18 - 19 days
Prinsendam Amster to FTL 8/18 96 days
Zaandam Antarctic 12/18 - 22 days
Nieuw Statadam Carb. 1/19 - 7 days
Amsterdam World Cruise 1/19 113 days
Nieuw Statadam 9/19 20 days
Prinsendam 10/19 60 days
Illinois
2 Posts
Joined Jul 2017
i waned to lose a lot of weight for our past sailing in January. what works (for me, everyone is different) is intermittent fasting. i don't eat breakfast, and i stop eating after dinner. so i "fast" from about 5/6pm until 11;30 am the next day when i have lunch. i have a small lunch of about 500 cals, usually a lean cuisine with a can of drained peaches, and then for dinner i eat whatever - we tend to stick to fish, chicken, we grill burgers, or soup & sandwiches. with the chicken and fish we make white rice & a veggie. i just try not to overeat and stop when i am full. this has worked for me and i still eat fairly normally & normal food. if i want something "extra' that's fine. we actually still followed this on our cruise and we didn't gain any weight and we ate a ton of food in the buffet every night LOL
United States
203 Posts
Joined Apr 2013
Spices help me a lot. I love food and love to try new things. No matter what I am having, I have several jars of spices on the table. For instance, if I am having low fat cottage cheese and tomatoes for lunch, I might put celery salt on my tomato slices, and curry or cumin on half my cottage cheese, then save the other half of the cottage cheese for "dessert" and sprinkle on a little Splenda and cinnamon. Flavored vinegars are also helpful to change up the taste of otherwise "bland" diet foods.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Lynn