Passport in port ?

Dwalkerdave

Hello, we have not sailed with P&O before and I was wondering do you just take sail card off the ship when in port (as per RCI) or is passport required to get back on ? It will be a European cruise if that makes any difference.

Many thanks

Normally it's just your cruise cards you take off with you. They do recommend you take the port information leaflet off with you as it has the ship contact details on the back, as well as a basic map and a information about the town.

On some occasions you may be asked to take your passport ashore or photo id. They normally inform you in the Horizon daily paper along with the trip time table and meeting places.

On our recent Med Cruise we were told to take our passports off with us twice, it is the Horizon the night before, usually on back page but not very prominent. In fact we were not actually asked to show it.

I think it is more that they require you to have a passport if there is problem on shore. It is the photo identity they are after. Never had any ask for it except in the US.

I think you will find in Europe you don't need to take your passport ashore.

But if you go ashore in Spain and France and you are of a "certain" age you do get reduced rates of entry to some tourist attractions - and they insist on a passport as evidence of age.

We usually take a photocopy of our passports ashore though and leave the real thing in the cabin safe.

In the main, you only need photo identity (a driving licence may do) in countries where the locals carry ID cards. I always carry a laminated colour copy of the passport page unless P&O say we need passports ashore. You certainly won't need it to get back on board.

Depends where you go, for instance people say no in Italy but you must have photo ID in Venice and the ship usually States passport. With what is happening in Sicily and Greece with the number of refugees, they've also been advising to take your passport. Just go with what the advice is in each port

With what is happening in Sicily and Greece with the number of refugees, they've also been advising to take your passport. Just go with what the advice is in each port

If Sicily and Greece are full of refugees, I think I'd be inclined to leave my passport locked up if at all possible. The problems of a lost passport, especially in the hands of a crook, could be far greater than the problems of not having I.D. on shore.

Sometimes the local authorities advise that passports should be taken ashore. This isn't binding, though. We always take ours, well concealed on our persons, as we don't want any issues should something happen while ashore.

As others have mentioned we take colour photocopies of the photo ID pages of our passports, rather than the whole thing.

Ironically the one port we visited where we would not have wanted to take our passports with us because of the risk from pickpockets - Barcelona - the Spanish police insisted that passengers had to carry their actual passports, not photocopies, and would not let those who did not have them through the cruise terminal.

Her indoors and I always keep a photocopy of our passports, laminated, in our wallets at all times.

Certain countries in Europe require everyone to carry ID at all times. In Holland for example, it's an automatic €40 fine if you can't produce ID when requested (including children).

Croatia insists on government issued photo ID. A driving license will suffice.

Therefore, carry both and your ship card and you'll be okay.

Stewart

On the Britannia in June this year, only ports where 'local requirements' required passports betaken ashore with you were Italian, Genoa & Civitivechia. I usually scan my passports, insurance policy, EU health cards and keep copy on phone with a backup in cloud.

Certain countries in Europe require everyone to carry ID at all times. In Holland for example, it's an automatic €40 fine if you can't produce ID when requested (including children).

That's harsh. So if you go to the police station to report your passport has been stolen, it's €40 as soon as you open your mouth?

That's weird, groovechick, two weeks ago in Barcelona there was no requirement to carry passports ashore.

Well, I should have said it was two years ago, so things may have changed. Of course it may depend upon as something as variable as which officers are on duty that day.

I just found it contrary that knowing the pickpocket problem that exists in the city, the Spanish police insisted we must carry an important document with us.

Last year we were asked to take it into port far more than was usual / expected - at least two ports - &, from memory, Barcelona was one of them (this was Cunard in November on a basic Med cruise.) - it surprised us as the only place before has required them had been Croatia.

We're back on P&O this year - including Venice - which we've not needed it for before - so it will be interesting to see :)