RCCI excursions or DIY Athens?

stickyshocker

I have 11 hours to decide before the excursion sales offered by Royal ends, it's called " A Taste of Athens" a 7 hrs tour which includes a narrated coach ride that takes us to Temple of Zeus and the Ancient Olympic stadium and a guided tour at Acropolis plus a few hours of free walk around the city. The cost would be approx. $265 USD.

With so many ports i'm researching plus the Cuba trip that I will take in the next 2 weeks, i'm really off balance right now and could use a little help on deciding if this will be worth $ or if it's somethin that can be achieved doing our own??

Thank you in advance cruise critic, honestly i'm all over the place..

DIY.

Easy bus trip from right outside the port.

Athens isn't huge, and a guide book and map will get you to see all the main sites.

When I was there last year I took one of the free walking tours - free as in tip at the end if you like it, leave before the end if you don't. It was excellent.

if that's $265 dollars each in the sale I dread to think what the full price would be!

If you are fit then as already suggested you could Diy easily and acropolis guides can be hired at the entrance which cost can be divided amongst a group

my husband has walking difficulties so we book private tours and seek tour mates from our roll call so we can reduce cost and pace tour to our own requirements

It also meant we could get outside Athens for other views

I believe we paid about 500 euros for a 12 seater minivan which even if we were the only ones beats the cost of your $265 per person seat on a large coach

We've used Private Greece Tours twice for private tours of Athens. It is an easy way to see the major sites if you haven't been before and cheaper than the cruise lines. We have also DIY which is pretty easy with a little planning. Most of the sites are close together and walkable. From the port you can take the X80 bus or a taxi. Start with the Acropolis to beat the crowds and heat.

• 8 months later...

DIY - you can walk from the Temple of Zeus to the Ancient Olympic Stadium in 5 minutes. The Acropolis is nearby and walkable. Athens has a modern Metro system which is very cheap and easy to navigate. I would do the Acropolis first and walk down the hill to the other sites rather than walk up the hill. It's very easy to get to Athens from Piraeus, taxi, bus, Metro or HoHo bus.

Take the X80 bus from the port to the acropolis. The fare is a day pass that costs 4.50. The first one leaves at 7, beat the crowds and heat up top. Everything to see is within walking distance except the archaeology museum which is a subway ride away which is included with your X80 ticket. Save your money for lunch and souvenirs. Athens is super easy to DIY.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
We did it ourselves we got of the ship then took the open top tour bus which was waiting.Cheapest way for us to do Athens and we had plenty of free time too.It was hot though :eek:

Grrr just read the year

I'm going in August and am sensitive to sun. Do you recommend the bus for someone like me? Or a taxi?

Sent from my SM-N950U using Forums mobile app