30-40 Passenger boat Greece

ldtc2

Hi Everyone,

I have searched as best as I can for a small 30-40 passenger cruise ship that does Greece, and am coming up empty. I have been on the Yasawa Princess ( Maldives), the Aloha Princess (Croatia ), and Ombak Putih ( Indonesia). These are very small yacht type boats that go to various destinations but you don't do these boats for the destinations, you do it to swim everyday in the ocean or snorkel and just have fun. I have found Variety cruises for Greece but it's still too big, and they seem to be a destinations cruise.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks,

LDTC2

What type of activities do you wish to do, I’m a little uncertain...visit fewer ports or feel less restricted to a schedule or just spend more time enjoying water sports as you mentioned, swim/snorkel/dive?

A friend recently (September 2017) took a tall ship cruise out of Rome to the Amalfi Coast by Star Cruises on the Royal Clipper which carried about 225 people, they LOVED it, I was jealous ;)

The same line offers a Greek Islands Cruise from Athens (also stopping in Kotor and Croatia before docking in Venice) which carries 170 pax, crew of 70. It’s also a tall ship called the Star Flyer. This is far more than 30-40 pax I understand but I cannot find anything smaller on the commercial market at present and had I not known of my friends’ recent cruise, I’d not even have been aware of this line even with my Cruise Critic history. The cruise line is flagged in Poland.

I’m thinking there’s a possibility of joining a yacht charter from within Greece or even out of Venice but it becomes challenging (possibly) in assuring everything is in order as it would be with an established cruise line. There are surely agents/brokers handling such hires, but contacting one without a recommendation would be ill advised but here’s a thought: have you looked at Airbnb?

Might seem an odd place to start but the most unusual places are turning up as listings. Also, certain island listings might just (for example, in Greece) be aware of how to get connected to reputable persons affiliated with nautilcal endeavors.

Whatever you do, use due diligence (research, verify) before agreeing to any arrangements and payments, use a credit card that might protect purchases but read all fine print, waivers and disclaimers. These are common many with hiring boats and there’d likely be even more with a private hire/charter if it got down to that.

Let us know how things proceed and if there are additional questions we can answer for you. :)

I do have a suggestion....which is that you check out Variety Cruises. They have been a around a few years (they took over Zeus Cruises...which was a company we used many years ago). Since we have not personally cruises on this line (since they took over Zeus) we will not give a personal recommendation...but rather suggest that you spent a little online time performing your own due diligence. I will tell you that many years ago we spent a week in the Ionian Islands on an aging 20 person yacht....and it was one of the best travel weeks ever :).

Hank

Thanks everyone - the small boats that I've found are from Variety and one or two other companies. I guess since I have been to all those ports before and have gone on smaller vessels 40 and less, I've been spoiled . I like the idea of staying overnight in the towns, and being able to stop and swim before we get to a port. I also love the idea of NOT getting dressed for dinner. You have been very helpful.

Regards,

LDTC2

I wouldn’t say you’re spoiled; I believe you’re an experienced traveler that knows exactly what you are looking for now.

Although a relative degree of flexibility might be required as to islands, time allotments, passenger number etc, I think a good chance exists that you might be able to find something near what you’re searching for. Might not be exactly right, but close enough, especially if there is room enough on price points.

In fact from experience , it’s possible to find what one wishes even at the lower end of the budget (I’ve done that) in some *incredible* places if one is relentless is the pursuit, though obviously not ridiculously so. I think folks just sometimes don’t believe it’s even possible. Anyway, therefore, the more € there might be available, well, you get the point. Where there’s a will, there’s a way. Also, unconventional travel is exciting.

Best wishes in your search :)

Thanks for the encouragement everyone. Sometimes I feel like I am on a mission to Mars hunting for what I want. It finally occurred to me to contact the agency that I used last year when I combined a Sicilian land trip with a 7 day sailing trip to the Aeolian Islands. The guy is honest, reliable and has a huge network of boats/gulets/cabin charters. He gave me some options. I didn't realize it but he also books on the Yasawa Princess ( Maldives which we just came back from) and the Aloha Princess ( Croatia). Here's his information in case anyone wants it.

intersailclub.com

or

luca@intersailclub.com

Checked out the Odyssey Link - the cabin charter boat doesn't have AC. Having sailed on a similar boat in the heat of the summer, I don't think I would do that again- too hot at night. But thanks for the input.

Keep searching.

We have done several Med cruises and numerous island hopping trips on our own. You really do not get much of a taste of the islands when there are thousands of others in port or you have to be back on the ship for sailaway and your roast beef dinner.

The smaller islands are completely different. Even the islands well visited by cruise ships take on a very different atmosphere after 4 or 5 pm.

DW won't even entertain an eastern Med cruise on a mass market ship because of this.

Thanks for the encouragement everyone. Sometimes I feel like I am on a mission to Mars hunting for what I want. It finally occurred to me to contact the agency that I used last year when I combined a Sicilian land trip with a 7 day sailing trip to the Aeolian Islands. The guy is honest, reliable and has a huge network of boats/gulets/cabin charters. He gave me some options. I didn't realize it but he also books on the Yasawa Princess ( Maldives which we just came back from) and the Aloha Princess ( Croatia). Here's his information in case anyone wants it.

intersailclub.com

or

luca@intersailclub.com

Sounds like there might be something for you after all and it’s something from someone already over there which is mostly what I imagined it would have to be. There’s still got to be someone in Greece that does the same thing but....the benefit here is you know this person and the company, boats etc. which is a definite advantage. If they don’t have exactly what you want, perhaps they can direct you to a colleague that does? Sounds like you’ve been a great client and loyalty is everything, maybe even more in Sicily ;)

Let us know how things progress, truly hoping you find what you seek. And if I come across anything, it’ll get posted, I’m always on the lookout for out of the ordinary adventures, more so when it’s a quest like this! :)

Have you tried the tripadvisor or tour book forums?

In the past we have connected with locals and with expats in places like Greece, Turkey, and Thailand. The info we obtained was accurate and insightful. And at variance with some of the nonsense that we were getting on the media or from Gov't travel warnings.

I tried Trip Advisor and no luck. I began the question with DON'T YELL at me for posting this ( they don't like it when people ask about small boat related trips). I didn't get yelled at. I will try the second site you suggested. Thanks

I tried Trip Advisor and no luck. I began the question with DON'T YELL at me for posting this ( they don't like it when people ask about small boat related trips). I didn't get yelled at. I will try the second site you suggested. Thanks

I think you have it right :). Having been somewhat adventurous (in travel) for about forty years we agree with much of what you have posted. We both probably know there are no easy answers, but lots of great questions and options. Our smallest boat trip (in the Ionian Islands) was 20 passenger and it was terrific, but I wondered (at the time) what it would be like to do a similar trip on an even smaller boat. We used to think about getting together with a few like-minded couples and chartering a small boat for 1-2 weeks, but decided we do not know enough of the kind of folks that would be comfy on that kind of trip. A friend of mine married an English charter boat Captain who used to handle boats out of Croatia and he really promoted those waters for a charter. (by the way, she met and married "the Captain" while she was a passenger on his boat")

As far as folks "flaming" your thinking....there are plenty on CC who will flame folks for simply suggesting that they get off a cruise ship without being on a Cruise Ship excursion :). Sometimes you just have to have thick skin when it comes to online blogs.

Hank

Absolutely.

Some people cannot think out of the box. Others want immediate gratification. They are reluctant to do a little research or step out on their own.

We love cruising. Greece and Turkey are some of our favourite destinations. We have done several eastern med cruises.

But...would we recommend a cruise on a mass market cruise line to someone who truly wants to see and experience the Greek islands. Absolutely not!

As an aside, not certain what islands you want to visit. You could check the Turkey forums. We have seen smaller vessels like you describe in Marmaris and in Antalya. Maybe a Greek yacht club page or some such animal.

Edited by iancal

We did rent a boat/yacht for 7 days in Italy- I forget the size but it was big enough to sleep 8-10, and there were 6 of us. You do need that many people or have a million dollars in the bank. While I enjoyed it enormously, it's a good thing I knew those other 4 people well because it was too small for me . I like the 30 passenger size. No one got sea sick and we docked at the ports and swam in the day.

I was thinking about Turkey but I wonder how safe it is. While we have land vacations there, I have never been on the water there. Thanks for that suggestion!!!

I am still hunting.

For other parts of the world, I have found a site called LIVEABOARD.COM which has several of the previous small ships that we took) and it which looks very promising for future vacations. The say" Best price guaranteed" but I would feel better if I contacted the ship directly :)

I am just posting this as well as luca@intersailclub to save someone the future aggravation of hunting for these vessels. I will keep this thread posted as to my findings for the Mediterranean.

Thanks,

ldtc2

ldtc2 -

No one is yelling. About your question on Turkey's safety, I would say the area around Bodrum is very safe. There are lot of gulet and small boat charters out of there. Another good place to research, would be similar cruises out of Kos, which is just across from Bodrum.

Also look at this: https://www.petersommer.com/

They have boats from 8 to 20+ passengers and some of the Dodecannese sailings from about $3000 pp. Don't know about A/C .

I think I found some places in Greece that are getting nearer to what you’re looking for. I found the first two via an old NY Times article from 2009.

And.....I’m sooooo breaking rules here (kind of) well, we mostly all have been but in the spirit of helping out a fellow traveler in what I’m sure we’d all agree is a truly unusual sailing quest, it’s worthy of bending the rule. Everyone in this thread is ever present with help on these boards and never inclined to go astray anyway but I just feel so odd being so errant myself! 😱 However, I’m determined our friend should have their boat through the islands as near to what they hope for & hope that soon we’ll hear of a booking and we can collectively all say opa!

Here’s the lates findings, each have various options available including the possibility of cabin hires on boats that carry approx 36-49 people depending on which group your looking at.

http://www.odysseysailing.gr/economy-cabin-cruises.html

https://www.poseidoncharters.com/

http://www.barbarosyachting.com/Cabin-Charter-Greek-islands

This website looks a bit less...thought out but that might not mean anything?

http://www.charterayachtingreece.com/Zeus/index.html

I could really go for some olives right now....😊