Tipping advice

pumba526

My husband and I are currently in Prague on a pre-cruise tour for 4 days. We arrived a day early (Saturday) and was supposed to meet up with the group for a city tour yesterday. We kept checking the lobby for the Welcome Desk as that was supposed to be available on Sunday. When we found that no director was on site, we contacted our travel agent. Turns out, the pre-cruise tour hotel had been changed but our reservation didn't get moved. No one seems to know how this happened! When we finally spoke to the cruise director yesterday he said "Oh, I've been missing you since Saturday!" Shouldn't he have tried to contact us or our travel agent to find out why we weren't at the hotel after 2 days? How would you suggest handling his tip? (yes, the cruise company did compensate us for the mix up). Any advice is appreciated!

Shouldn't he have tried to contact us or our travel agent to find out why we weren't at the hotel after 2 days? How would you suggest handling his tip? (yes, the cruise company did compensate us for the mix up). Any advice is appreciated!

In fairness, I'm sure he reported your absence up his chain of command and it sounds like the cruise company have settled for the mistake. I wouldn't have expected him to be contacting your TA directly that really is down to the cruise company to sort out.

For his tip, I would simple tip according to the days of service he actually provided.

I'm surprised AMA didn't provide a local contact number ahead of time, I seem to recall getting this for our Viking cruises?

Oddly enough they didn't provide any local contact info and just said the cruise director would be at the hotel beginning Sunday. We had done an Insight tour and the tour manager emailed the group about a week before the tour began and introduced herself and provided us with her contact info.