Adding someone to an already-booked cabin

mistydisa

Some friends and I are planning on going on a cruise later this year. The dilemma is one of them can't find out for sure yet if she can get that particular week off of work, but the rest of us are anxious to book NOW. If we book now, could we add our friend to one of our already-booked (with 2 people) rooms when she finds out if she can go? Will there be a penalty cost?

We added to an already booked room. We had to change rooms but that w as ok. It would be easier if you start out with a room that holds more than two so you don't end up in a cabin you don't want. Just pick the category you want and look for the symbol that shows if the cabin holds 3 or 4 people.

For my 2012 Hawaiian cruise I only have a deposit down. My friend wanted to go after I booked. It was not a problem but the price of the cruise had gone up since I booked. So the price for both of us went up a bit as final payment has not been made.

For my up coming cruise 2011 I booked solo and paid in full. Another friend wanted to go last minute. No problem. Only additional port charges and taxes for additional person was added as final payment was already made for 2.

So maybe your price could be affected if it goes up before final payment. Maybe you will get lucky and it will drop!

We just did this a few weeks ago to add my uncle. We had to change rooms, but that wasn't a big deal for us as the room we were given was right next door. I asked about what the configuration for the third sleeper was as we didn't want a roll away. We have a convertible sofa for our third.

I booked our cruise for this Feb, last Feb (22 more days!!) anyway, I added 2 more in the room a few days ago. No problems. Try to make sure the cabin you book holds more than 2 when you book it. Check out the ship deck plans on Carnival's website and look at the key to decide which cabin holds 3 pax and book that one so that you won't run into the possibility of having to change cabins. They will usually let you. As long as you book the first 2 pax initially and then add the 3rd later, if the price should change later it won't affect the first 2 pax. The price change will only affect the 3rd. The 3rd pax price is usually alot cheaper anyway.

When we added our extra 2, the port costs had gone up since I had originaly booked and I wondered if that was going to make ours go up to. But it didn't everything about the first 2 pax booking remained the same the 3rd and 4th pax were charged the current port fees.

BTW..we've never had to pay a penalty...not even under the ES program...and I never add the extra pax to our cabin until later in the booking. That way I only pay the deposit for 2 pax when I first do the booking. We always add my daughter later.

Edited by rrraydon

We have a cruise booked [paid in full) and my husband can't go, so my sister wants to take his place. Anyone know if this is possible and how much they will charge? Thanks!

depends on how and when you booked- if its an early saver rate the answer is no.

if you booked any other way-- you can change the name of the passenger for a 50.00 fee.

Try to make sure the cabin you book holds more than 2 when you book it. .

the problem with this-- the OP might not be able to book a cabin that holds 3 people if she is only booking 2 people- depending on what date. Some sailings have restrictions.

Ex- if I was to book the Pride in that fabulous cabin for the week after our sailing-i dont think I could have booked that cabin with only the three of us.

If a high peak sailing time--no way could we book that cabin with only two of us.

If the OP waits til closer to sailing--they stand a chance of the ship sailing at full and even if the cabin holds 4 people they will not be able to book the person.

...As long as you book the first 2 pax initially and then add the 3rd later, if the price should change later it won't affect the first 2 pax. The price change will only affect the 3rd. The 3rd pax price is usually alot cheaper anyway.

This is true. The 3rd pax will pay the going 3rd pax fare when added, which is always reasonable.

Be sure, however, to book a room/category that will hold 3 pax.

We have a cruise booked [paid in full) and my husband can't go, so my sister wants to take his place. Anyone know if this is possible and how much they will charge? Thanks!

I booked my last Feb Early Saver....about a month or so before the cruise my husband couldn't go...called and asked if I could change from his name to my mother's name...they charged me $50. I guess it all depends who you get on the phone. If you call and the rep says no call back and keep trying you may find one who will. I was lucky in that the first call did the trick. Good luck.

the problem with this-- the OP might not be able to book a cabin that holds 3 people if she is only booking 2 people- depending on what date. Some sailings have restrictions.

Ex- if I was to book the Pride in that fabulous cabin for the week after our sailing-i dont think I could have booked that cabin with only the three of us.

If a high peak sailing time--no way could we book that cabin with only two of us.

If the OP waits til closer to sailing--they stand a chance of the ship sailing at full and even if the cabin holds 4 people they will not be able to book the person.

There is that chance...that they won't give them a cabin for 2 that holds more. Luckily, I must have booked my cruises at the right time because whenever we know we're bringing McKenzie I select a cabin that holds more than 2 and have never not been able to.

But, look what happened this time, ended up adding 2 more instead of just one and there were no cabins in my category that held 4 to change to..lol...had to downgrade! Lost my darn aft balcony...now I'm gonna have to come over to your cabin with that extra long balcony!!:p

Just got off the phone with the 3rd carnival rep and yes, indeed, I not only had to pay a $300 cancellation fee, the port charges increased by $22 so I had to pay that also. I am aware that is the policy, it just seems ridiculous to charge $322 to change a name on a reservation. Afterall, if my husband ended up going there would be no additional fee for that room. This is our 10th Carnival cruise and I have 2 other cabins booked with us, so thought they would cut me some slack. Just my opinion. thanks for all the help.

Just got off the phone with the 3rd carnival rep and yes, indeed, I not only had to pay a $300 cancellation fee, the port charges increased by $22 so I had to pay that also. I am aware that is the policy, it just seems ridiculous to charge $322 to change a name on a reservation. Afterall, if my husband ended up going there would be no additional fee for that room. This is our 10th Carnival cruise and I have 2 other cabins booked with us, so thought they would cut me some slack. Just my opinion. thanks for all the help.

Sorry that happened...I agree it's totally ridiculous! :eek:

I don't think there should be a problem, but there could be. A few years ago, my dad, who travels as a single and pays twice the price, even before the change for singles to pay 200%for all cabins, as he stayed in balconies all the time, decided about a month or more before the cruise to add a friend. When I called to add him, I was told I couldn't as the ship was full for adding people.

The coast guard allows x many people and there were many people booked in 3 and 4 person cabins. So, even though he was paying for 2, he wasn't allowed to add a 2nd passenger. You could run into the same thing if you wait too long. Just sayin'.

• 4 years later...

Old topic.. for a new ship! So I am looking to book on the Vista in 2017.. The 3rd guest (my son) is the maybe based on school schedule. He is actually at the age where his preference may be to have the vacation away from us! lol

In any event.. how does it work adding a 3rd person when your room only accomodates 2? I know the answer is that they'll just change your room; however, it is on the Vista and I'm sure it will be a high demand cruise where that may not be an option.

If no other rooms are available to accomodate, is there any other work around to add a 3rd person?

There is no way to add a third person to a cabin for 2. The ship wouldn't allow it and I don't know if the Coast Guard would either. If you tried to book a cabin that holds 3 in advance, and there were only 2 of you, Carnival wouldn't accept the booking or if they did, they would tell you that you may be moved.

I just booked a Carnival ship yesterday for this summer, and I wanted 2 connecting balconies, but all that were available had one cabin for 3 and one for 2. I booked through a PVP and wasn't able to book them because I had 2 people in each one.

Conversely, a few months ago DH and I had a balcony guarantee, our only time, and we ended up with a cabin assigned to us that had been for 3 people. My thoughts on the Visa would be to book him now and if you don't book with ESA, you could drop him before FP and you'd be taking your chances on being moved to a cabin that would be suitable for you.

Good luck and enjoy your cruise