Croatia

Welcome to Cruise Critic! If you'd like to participate on our forums by joining in the conversation, please Register Now! Be sure to visit our FAMOUS Roll Call forums, where you can meet other cruisers sailing with you and share a tour or shore excursion and SAVE MONEY!

** Please post your recommendations ONLY in response to request...do not start a new thread. Thanks!
Other Mediterranean Ports
Dubrovnik, Gibraltar, Istanbul, Kotor, Kusadasi, La Goulette (Tunis), Lisbon, Madeira (Funchal), Malta, Odessa, Sevastopol, Varna, Zadar
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 03:40 AM.
5,541 Posts
Joined Apr 2005
Originally posted by Dubrovniktravelady
Sorry but since I am a local resident the rules of cruise critic do not permit me to recommend any specific restaurants. That being said I will state that you will find many of the menus very similar, prices almost the same and the nicer the view, the more food costs.
Strange....I see recommendations on cruise critic all the time.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
09-01-2012 Azamara Journey French & Italian Riviera
09-03-2013 Celebrity Silhouette Eastern Med & Greek Isles
09-20-2014 Azamara Journey Tuscany & Amalfi Coast
09-27-2014 Azamara Journey Sicily & Malta
06-21-2015 Celebrity Summit Bermuda
10-04-2015 Celebrity Summit New England/Canada
05-09-2016 Celebrity Equinox France Italy Film cruise
09-25-2016 Celebrity Infinity Pacific Coastal Vancouver to San Francisco
12-01-16 Azamara Quest Costa Rica, Canal and ABC Islands
06-02-17 Celebrity Millennium Alaska Southern Glacier cruise

5,541 Posts
Joined Apr 2005
Yes, you do but they are from cruisers and not local residents. Check the guidelines for residents of any of the ports of call, no personal recommendations.
Oh goodness...love cruise critic but some people of the rules make me think .. mrs gumbah at aol dot com. I would love more info.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
09-01-2012 Azamara Journey French & Italian Riviera
09-03-2013 Celebrity Silhouette Eastern Med & Greek Isles
09-20-2014 Azamara Journey Tuscany & Amalfi Coast
09-27-2014 Azamara Journey Sicily & Malta
06-21-2015 Celebrity Summit Bermuda
10-04-2015 Celebrity Summit New England/Canada
05-09-2016 Celebrity Equinox France Italy Film cruise
09-25-2016 Celebrity Infinity Pacific Coastal Vancouver to San Francisco
12-01-16 Azamara Quest Costa Rica, Canal and ABC Islands
06-02-17 Celebrity Millennium Alaska Southern Glacier cruise

Ireland
66 Posts
Joined Oct 2009
Originally posted by Ladydee
Would you return to Croatia as a vacation destination in itself? Is it clean? Is it safe (we are seasoned travellers, so I mean beyond the obvious cautions...)? Thank you.
Croatia is a wonderfull safe country with lovely people . Mostly unspoilt you will really enjoy. Dont miss out on their wines .
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

London, England
3,477 Posts
Joined Jun 2011
Yes, you do but they are from cruisers and not local residents. Check the guidelines for residents of any of the ports of call, no personal recommendations.
Residents in the U.K. Recommend restaurants all the time on the UK board, particularly in Southampton.
131 Posts
Joined Jan 2017
When you dock in Croatia, how far is the wall? Say Pile Gate? Are their cabs readily available [if needed]? I dislike taking cruise tours, and much prefer self exploring.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Romsey England
11,484 Posts
Joined Mar 2009
Yes, that's a rule.
It's to avoid folk recommending their own business. A classic was a Vietnamese whose only posts were those recommending a particular tour operator - a safe bet that it's his own business

But the rule is applied with common sense.
Members like you and I post on a variety of subjects, and when I suggest local restaurants and transfer operators and such I usually offer a number of alternatives, together with the negatives as well as the positives. I've never had a post removed because I'm a local.
On some subjects, like tour operators, a cruise visitor's recommendation is probably more worthwhile than a local's.
But locals are far more likely to have a rounded view of local restaurants.
No worries

Mgugs - some ships moor off the walled city and passengers are tendered to the pier in the shadow of the wall - you couldn't get much closer.
But most berth in the port about (2?) miles north of the walled city. A bit too far for most folk to walk, and the walk is pretty boring. There are local buses, a shared taxi is pretty economical, or most (all?) ships offer a shuttle-bus - usually payable. The drop-point for shuttle-buses, and probably local buses and taxis, is a few yards outside the Pile/Pila Gate.
From here the walled city is very easy to explore independently.
The bottom station for the cablecar to the top of the hill overlooking the city isn't far from the Pile/Pila Gate, but it's up quite a steep road. A super view from behind a cold beer at the top station.

JB
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Anyone who looks like their passport photo is too ill to travel (Will Kommen)
131 Posts
Joined Jan 2017
We do not tender at this port, so there will be taxis available to take us to the wall? I don't mind cost, I usually prefer to travel with just my wife and myself, so I don't mind spending extra for private transfers.

I assume also taxis are available to get back to the port?
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Romsey England
11,484 Posts
Joined Mar 2009
Originally posted by Mgugs46
We do not tender at this port, so there will be taxis available to take us to the wall? I don't mind cost, I usually prefer to travel with just my wife and myself, so I don't mind spending extra for private transfers.

I assume also taxis are available to get back to the port?
Yes and yes.
Whether there'll be more punters than taxis is a risk, which might cost you some time.
And if taxis are in short supply, you might be unpopular if you decline to share.

It's only a short distance, so it won't be expensive.
But I don't know whether taxi drivers will accept euros or plastic, or will only accept kuna. Perhaps others can say.

JB
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Anyone who looks like their passport photo is too ill to travel (Will Kommen)