Excursions or not? Charlotte Amalie, St. Thomas

nelsonbrandyl

Just wondering if this is a port you really want to do an excursion at or just get off and explore on your own? I know in Jamaica I personally will always do a excursion unless in Falmouth, then I stay inside the little shopping area if not doing one, all. Cause of what goes on in Jamaica. Opinions please.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

St Thomas is safe for visitors who want to explore on their own but there are excursions offered on the ship that you can only do through the ship.

Ok awesome. We will most likely do a excursions just checking our options though.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

St.Thomas is very safe and receptive to cruise ship visitors. If you would like to book an excursion,tor maybe see as much as you can on the island in one day, or take a day trip to St.John, then there are several options, either through the cruise line or through private vendors. But, you could easily pick up a taxi to a beach and rent some chairs, or go shopping either by the ship, or in the actual town of Charlotte Amalie. But it is definitely safe to do alone and go by yourself!

There is plenty you can do on your own, however it can get kind of pricey. Taxi to Red Hook Ferry was $10 per person, even if you had a large group. Ferry was $14 Round trip, then another $7 per person to get to Cinnamon Bay Beach on St John. Cab Rides would have to be paid again on the way back. For that reason, this is one island where i always consider an trip with an excursion company.

• 2 weeks later...

On our third cruise stop in St.Thomas my husband and I went with St Thomas Adventure Tours. It was wonderful!! I have a review of them on TripAdvisor. There were only the two of us that day. Kayaking and two snorkeling spots. The first is the sea turtles from the beach. Second along the rocky and coral areas. Lunch included, choose from the beach restaurant. I can't say enough good things about this couple.

We now have our own snorkel gear, so for our upcoming 4th trip we will be taking a taxi to Coki and then Sapphire. We've been doing stuff on our own lately.

There are great options on your own or with independent excursion operators, just depends on what you want to do. Imgnpb's suggestion is a good one if that sounds like a day you'd enjoy. For a nice beach and snorkeling DIY is definitely the way to go, for example Sapphire is a gorgeous beach with everything you need to rent. Same with going to STJ - Round trip taxi/ferry/taxi to Cinnamon Bay via Red Hook is about $48, less expensive than the cruise ship excursion and a better time IMHO.

The Champagne Cat excursion offered through the ship is a nice day. If you want a nice day sail there are also several independent operators like Yacht Nightwind or High Pockets as well.

Lots to choose from, enjoy your day ;)

There are great options on your own or with independent excursion operators, just depends on what you want to do. Imgnpb's suggestion is a good one if that sounds like a day you'd enjoy. For a nice beach and snorkeling DIY is definitely the way to go, for example Sapphire is a gorgeous beach with everything you need to rent. Same with going to STJ - Round trip taxi/ferry/taxi to Cinnamon Bay via Red Hook is about $48, less expensive than the cruise ship excursion and a better time IMHO.

The Champagne Cat excursion offered through the ship is a nice day. If you want a nice day sail there are also several independent operators like Yacht Nightwind or High Pockets as well.

Lots to choose from, enjoy your day ;)

Thanks

URL=https://www.cruisecritic.com/]countdown.pl?image=Beach-8&name=Nelsonbrandyl&date=5-26-2018&text=&ship=Harmony%20of%20the%20Seas[/url]

Carnival Magic 9/18/2012

Carnival Magic 2/17/2013

Carnival Sunshine 2/9/2014

RC Liberty of the seas 9/18/2016

RC Harmony of the seas 5/26/2018