Cruise review pre and post- Pearl 9/26/2016 w/ 11y autistic daughter, her ser...

Ok this is VERY late but here it is.

Embarkation Day. We arrived by 9am at the port. We where met by Heidi and she was GREAT! b2184580d6eb889e2bbc21332ecf5f49.jpg

She then took Lydia, Tyr and I started to an express check-in line. Witch was FAST ad960f35425a45d66618b29ade815d70.jpg

Heidi then walk us to a quite security area where all went well right up to the point the Guard grabbed Lydia to try to make her stand still...... He got a very big lesson on why you NEVER touch an autistic children or any other child for that matter. Tyr and I where through quitely and Heidi answer any questions security had while I was trying to calm Lydia down. It was very upsetting for Lydia. Heidi jumped into action though and took us to a quite waiting area with chair where Lydia could lay with Tyr and have a snack or drink if she wanted. There where a few other passengers waiting in this room as well how where all very nice. About 20mins after that a Heidi came back with a ships officer (her name was Apple!) and stuart with a cart. We said out huge thank yous to Heidi and Apple and the start took us and our luggage straight to a cabin. We where in and getting settled by 10:20am!!!

cd6c69859e89d050d0f0fd883bcc600c.jpg

Apply proved to be a God-sent. She handed me a ships phone and a list of officer # for the cruise. Showed me where Tyrs potty box was located(which was very close to our cabin in a staff stair well). Apple told me that after we where settled in to call her and she would take us to the kids club, arrange for Lydia's quite mustard drill and give Lydia a tour.

909fccc2390eaf5672bfcb66ca91b137.jpg

But Apple did so much more then that.

When Lydia was ready we called Apple and she took Lydia on a tour of splash academy and introduced Lydia to her one-on-one aid at the kids club! I couldn't believe it; NCL proved my daughter with her own aid to keep her safe and to make sure she had a great time. The kids culb also had the # of the phone Apple gave me. So if anything came up we could fix it together. WOW!!!!

After that Lydia had a quite mustard drill where she met a few of the Safety Officers and they went over "what to do" if something happened. I think so many officers came because they just really wanted to meet Tyr. A lot of the crew miss their pets and really enjoy having Tyr on board.

From there it was to the buffet for a late lunch. I happens to see Chef walking through inspecting the stations and staff. I took the opportunity and introduced him to Lydia. Lydias informed Chef she was worried about what she could eat do to her celiac's disease. The Chef himself toured Lydia through the buffet to show her what was safe. Lydia being autistic and outspoken told Chef she was disappointed they didn't have what she really wanted. Chef ask Lydia what that was. "Grilled white fish, rice and peas; like mommy makes."

At this point I was very embarrassed.....

Chef didn't skip a beat. "I'll bring that right out to you Lydia" was his response and off he went. Again wow [emoji15]

We took a seat and a few minutes later here comes Chef with Lydias made to order gluten free meal! This carried on the whole cruise. Lydia would ether go looking for Chef or he would see her and come over and ask " hello Lydia, what would you like today?". I was happy with the buffet or what ever was on the menu. Lydia even got a shrimp dinner one night she really loved. My little queen.

On the evening of the first night we realized fairly quickly Tyr was not going to be able to use the potty box in the stairwell. He was trained to use the potty box but out side. All of his training had taught him never to use the bathroom indoors....ever! We called Apple and the box was moved to the top deck. Technology the potty box was not allowed where it was on deck when the ship was in port. So Apple and I agreed that when in port I would take Tyr off ship. Watch worked great because I was planning to take Tyr off for a walk and some down time anyways. Also the deck was huge where the potty box was. I meen dog park big and Tyr had it all to himself when we where at sea. He was a very happy Dog. 6958ed40ce775154cefaf6435fe42d93.jpg

The rest of the cruise went well. We only had one or two rude people make a fuss about "having a dog on the cruise.?!" Nothing we or Apple couldn't deal with. Lydia love the inside cabin. She called it cozy and safe. She also had a great time at Splash Academy.

Disembarkation went very smooth as well. Apple had us off, through customs and introduced us to the group guide who was taking us to Anaheim.

This is Apple. Really I can't say enough. She make this cruise so wonderful for Lydia. In fact all the crew went out of there way for Lydia and Tyr. And because of that we have decided to cruise again with NCL. Specifically on the Pearl next year for and Alaskan cruise in May.

7c2efaa67049d092ba5865cd01c3197b.jpg

That rest of our trip to Disneyland and Universal Studios where great. Only a few bumps/meltdowns but hey it's a lot for any child let alone one with autism.

Edited by Joyously Sailing Away

Thank you for the update! I cannot tell you how often I had wondered about how things went. I was concerned it had gone badly since you hadn't responded, but I am so glad you had a wonderful time. I am also really impressed at how amazing the NCL staff was... It really confirms my opinion that they are the best cruise line (for our family, at least).

Thank you for the update! I cannot tell you how often I had wondered about how things went. I was concerned it had gone badly since you hadn't responded, but I am so glad you had a wonderful time. I am also really impressed at how amazing the NCL staff was... It really confirms my opinion that they are the best cruise line (for our family, at least).

Thank you! Lydia and Tyr did have a amazing time. So much so we have 2 more cruise in the works.

I'm traveling this coming May with my Darling Husband John. He lives with Stage3 MS and uses and electric wheelchair. And of course we are traveling on the Pearl! He was very resistant to traveling till he heard about the wonderful time we had and how GREAT the Pearl was to Lydia and Tyr.

Then Lydia, Tyr and I are planning another adventure together for late 2018. Lydia said she wants to go on the Pearl as well again.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Joy, so happy to see the update to your review. I'm glad you and Lydia had such a great time. I was on the Pearl again in June -- my 4th Alaska cruise --and it was a different hotel director, but still great service. Cruising is such a great way to vacation for a family since there's something for everyone. I hope you, Lydia, and John have many fabulous cruises in your future! :D:D

Jayne

Joy, so happy to see the update to your review. I'm glad you and Lydia had such a great time. I was on the Pearl again in June -- my 4th Alaska cruise --and it was a different hotel director, but still great service. Cruising is such a great way to vacation for a family since there's something for everyone. I hope you, Lydia, and John have many fabulous cruises in your future! :D:D

Jayne

Thank you! I'm actually looking into booking a cruise for the fall of next year on the Pearl again. Lydias been very persistent.

I saw that there have been some changes since dry dock. What do you think of the updates? What's better what's not better?

Thank you! I'm actually looking into booking a cruise for the fall of next year on the Pearl again. Lydias been very persistent.

I saw that there have been some changes since dry dock. What do you think of the updates? What's better what's not better?

She feels fresher and more updated. O'Sheehan's has the newer menu now, which I loved. The cabins are updated, so they don't feel tired anymore. I didn't notice any huge changes, but it did feel like a newer ship. I wouldn't say any of the changes were negative. I love the Pearl, so I think you've chosen a great ship! :D