Not dressing for formal nights

jeanlyon

We went prepared for the two recent formal nights on Braemar, I took the white dinner jacket - must have impressed somebody as we received an invitation to the Captain's Table for the second of these best bib and tucker affairs.

Not bad for first timers on Fred Olsen - 'er indoors was well chuffed, she was seated right next to the skipper.

We went prepared for the two recent formal nights on Braemar, I took the white dinner jacket - must have impressed somebody as we received an invitation to the Captain's Table for the second of these best bib and tucker affairs.

Not bad for first timers on Fred Olsen - 'er indoors was well chuffed, she was seated right next to the skipper.

My husband would tell you he does not think he should be expected to dine with the staff clear.png?emoji-smile-1742

Maybe this is an age thing?

People of my generation born in the 1950s matured into a very different world from those even ten years older.

For us Rosa Park has definately "left the back of the 'bus" and displays such a finger clicking to attract a waitress and other mildly racial or sexist comments directed towards staff, all of which we observed on Braemar, do not sit easily with us.

I don't think the anchor fares are the reason either as if you have no intention of using the MDR your dinner sitting is of no meaning.

Possibly passengers are of two kinds, the travellers who find cruising easy, particularly for those of us in east Kent who have no airport and those who cruise for the cruising experience, with probably a bit of an overlap in the middle.

We will be joining the Balmoral on Saturday to go to Hamburg, no ties or jackets packed for us and The Palms, (or as we heard one passenger on Braemar call it "the greasy spoon transport caff on deck 6") here we come!

And no, because we choose to eat there we do not prefer to have our chips served in newspaper as we overheard another passenger also comment.

Perhaps it is fair to say if you book into the Travel Lodge don't compare it to the Hilton because you will be disappointed. :evilsmile:

I do not normally look at threads about dining attire as they can often be a lot of wittering from people who have different preferences and like to down others who have different views IMO. Having just seen this post though, I do think there are some valid points are made. Fred's self service restaurants are indeed very pleasant places (esp on Braemar) and are far superior to those on other cruise lines (e.g. P&O), where they are cafe like venues with no table cloths etc. We were born at the beginning of the 50's and are quite happy to don formal wear or eat in a more casual environment but are more interested in what is right for us at the time.

We will be on Boudicca for 33 nights in the autumn. We have requested a table for two on second sitting as we do not want to have to eat early on the many warm sea days (when we can otherwise stay longer out on deck), nor do not want to rush to early sitting after a busy day in port. However, there will be days when we choose to eat earlier since we will want to be up early the next day as we are in an interesting port. Hence we will dine were we want on any particular day and we are thinking that there may well be times when we want to get out of the tropical sun in the middle of a sea day and have a relaxed hot meal at that time and, if in port next day, may well go to the self service or even order one of Fred's excellent room service platters with some soup and a light sweet, no matter what the dress code is for that day. For the first time ever on Fred we have upgraded to a balcony, which will make room service particularly pleasant on this cruise. We have in the past ordered room service when we were scenic cruising at meal time, allowing us to dine after the self service was closed.

We feel Fred's fixed dining is a problem from that point of view and we much prefer to have flexible dining times and types of venue, but we also like very unusual itineraries if cruising. That means we are rarely interested in cruise itineraries on the larger ships which have these options (nor would we want to be on one of the really big ships anyway). Hence, when on Fred we use the dining options available as are to our choice on any particular day.

Everyone has their own choice to do what they like. If Fred's style with a choice of the MDR, where some very pleasant formal evenings can be enjoyed at times and their self service or room service alternatives are not suitable for some people, perhaps they should look to other cruise lines. There are many options out there nowadays.

Edited by tring

My husband would tell you he does not think he should be expected to dine with the staff clear.png?emoji-smile-1742

Free drinks of your choice - pre dinner, wine at the meal, and after dinner port or liquers.

Likewise a fancy invitation card and complimentary group photo (with personal message) from the captain as souvenirs

Tell him to swallow his pride, (along with the free booze), and get with the program !!! :cocktail:

Free drinks of your choice - pre dinner, wine at the meal, and after dinner port or liquers.

Likewise a fancy invitation card and complimentary group photo (with personal message) from the captain as souvenirs

Tell him to swallow his pride, (along with the free booze), and get with the program !!! :cocktail:

Just one of his standard jokes. I told him what I had posted, but talking about what he would actually do, he did say he would accept. Sounds a much better deal than I thought though - how do you talk yourself into one of those? clear.png?emoji-smile-1742

Just one of his standard jokes. I told him what I had posted, but talking about what he would actually do, he did say he would accept. Sounds a much better deal than I thought though - how do you talk yourself into one of those? clear.png?emoji-smile-1742

I realised it was tongue in cheek.

As for how to get an invitation - who knows ? I did ask but the Captain was not forthcoming about the details of the selection process.

I suspect (with absolutely no evidence to support it) that we were nominated by the dining room officer (not sure of his title) who we enjoyed a good rapport with over the duration of the cruise. It may be that they simply choose a couple of first timers on Fred as a standard operating practice ?

Or it could just be your Donald Duck - just chance, right place at the right time ?

Yes all sorts of reasons could be in play. I also presume it would depend on dining time, so they would not be likely to invite people who do not dine at the time the Captain will be dining - though the Captain may host a table at different sittings during the cruise. Must admit, although we have travelled on Fred quite a lot, I do not recall ever seeing a 'Captains Table' anywhere, but we tend to eat in the smaller restaurants if available and on first sitting for most cruises.

Cheers and happy cruising, nice to exchange a bit of banter with you, some threads get far too serious at times,

Barbara

Edited by tring

Our experience is limited to two FOCL cruises, during which it appeared that officers dined on certain tables on formal nights. We did not see a 'Captain's table' during the cruises but did see various senior officers on a variety of tables during formal nights.

Our experience is limited to two FOCL cruises, during which it appeared that officers dined on certain tables on formal nights. We did not see a 'Captain's table' during the cruises but did see various senior officers on a variety of tables during formal nights.

Yes we have known that, it is usually the larger tables and the same officer tends to dine on the same table during the cruise. We had the Doctor join us on a table for 6 or 7 on a couple of formal evenings on a Greenland cruise. She bought the wine, but was not allowed to partake of it herself. No pre or post meal drinkies though.

[quoteYes all sorts of reasons could be in play. I also presume it would depend on dining time, so they would not be likely to invite people who do not dine at the time the Captain will be dining - though the Captain may host a table at different sittings during the cruise. Must admit, although we have travelled on Fred quite a lot, I do not recall ever seeing a 'Captains Table' anywhere, but we tend to eat in the smaller restaurants if available and on first sitting for most cruises.

Cheers and happy cruising, nice to exchange a bit of banter with you, some threads get far too serious at times,]

We dined first sitting in the Thistle restaurant each night - 'er indoors likes waiter service.

On the first formal evening I wasn't aware of a Captain's Table, however I was focused on chatting with our table mates, so unsure if there was one or not.

Agree 100% on the banter - if you dish it out, then you have to be prepared to take it as well.

As you say, some people need to take a chill pill.

• 4 weeks later...

My mother and I are going on our first FOCL cruise in 2 weeks. We will be eating in the MDR, but won't be dressed as spiffy as some others, I am sure, because we're coming from the US so we have baggage restrictions. Not to mention, we won't have our men with us to schlep our bags, so they really can't be too heavy. Hopefully, we won't be judged too harshly.

Hello Wendy. We have been on several Fred. Olsen cruises. I used to take evening dresses (plus matching shoes etc). I now take a pair of black trousers and a few nice tops. This outfit doesn't look out of place on formal nights. Some ladies still wear evening dresses, but they are in the minority. I am sure you will enjoy your cruise. ;)

Hello Wendy. We have been on several Fred. Olsen cruises. I used to take evening dresses (plus matching shoes etc). I now take a pair of black trousers and a few nice tops. This outfit doesn't look out of place on formal nights. Some ladies still wear evening dresses, but they are in the minority. I am sure you will enjoy your cruise. ;)

Thanks. I'm bringing a couple of dresses and some "fancy" leggings....I think I'll be alright. ;)

SaveSave

Thanks. I'm bringing a couple of dresses and some "fancy" leggings....I think I'll be alright. ;)

SaveSave

Leggings may look out of place on Fred as most dress fairly smart, even on non formal nights. You may feel more in place wearing dresses or fairly smart trousers or skirts and a selection of tops. Fred passengers are in the older group - most are retired, so not really legging types, though more casual dress could be in place in the self service restaurants, perhaps.

Just thinking of how you will feel.

Leggings may look out of place on Fred as most dress fairly smart, even on non formal nights. You may feel more in place wearing dresses or fairly smart trousers or skirts and a selection of tops. Fred passengers are in the older group - most are retired, so not really legging types, though more casual dress could be in place in the self service restaurants, perhaps.

Just thinking of how you will feel.

If I can add to that, a smart polyester (or similar material) skirt or two and a few good quality sleevless T shirts or other lightweight tops, will fit the bill for most nights and could easily be laundered in the self service laundry on board (or just in your cabin - there are hanging lines in the showers). A dress or perhaps a slightly better quality lightweight skirt/trousers and top for the formals will make good travelling clothes. Enjoy your holiday,

Barbara

• 4 months later...

Resurrecting this thread as I wanted to ask about the dress codes onboard.

I will be travelling on a short Fred Olsen cruise with my son who is autistic and will not wear any clothes in which he doesn't feel comfortable. That includes suits and jackets, shirts and ties. Will he be admitted into the dining room in casual clothing and even in the self service areas. He lives in sweat shirts and jogging bottoms and I'm beginning to think we may have booked the wrong cruise for him. I received info that there will be 2 formal nights on a 7 night cruise and a British night. What can we expect from a British night?

I hope the dining staff will not be too strict given his disablilty.

I agree it is great pity to see the amount of people who do not dress for formal nights, however for the benefit of any 'new cruisers' this is not the majority, as is reflected by lack of seating to be had in the Neptune lounge where cocktails and drinks are served after meeting the Captain and Officers. I think that perhaps if more posts accentuated the number that do dress for formal nights it would be better. Both formal nights that we attended on Black Watch on the Sun, Souks and Siestas cruise in November were well attended.

It is noticeable however the amount of gentlemen that seem to have departed from wearing ties and a jacket in the evening, i am aware of course that the dress code is smart casual but taking the general age of Fred's clients it does surprise me, perhaps it just reflects the dumbing down that has happened throughout society. However I will still wear a tie and jacket in the evening and appreciate that not everyone may have my standards but that they do have the freedom of choice but that they may also be missing out on something that makes our style of cruising special.

Jenjess

On formal nights you can eat casual dress in other venues. It's just the main dining rooms that will be off limits if wearing casual gear. I should speak to Fred's Ipswich HQ to alert them to any possible issues and they can let the ship staff know. We have been on two FO cruises and find the onboard team very helpful and concerned to ensure that all is well.

See how individuals have different perceptions of what constitutes criteria for smart casual - to me it is not jacket and tie, that's more towards formal.

Short or long sleeve shirt, open neck, or similar polo shirt for me.

I agree, especially since Fred themselves changed the dress code from smart to smart casual.

Jenjess

On formal nights you can eat casual dress in other venues. It's just the main dining rooms that will be off limits if wearing casual gear. I should speak to Fred's Ipswich HQ to alert them to any possible issues and they can let the ship staff know. We have been on two FO cruises and find the onboard team very helpful and concerned to ensure that all is well.

Thanks for your advice, I will contact the HQ just to see what they can advise.