Swollen ankles and feet on a cruise?

• 1 month later...

Wow! Tons of good info in this thread. My eyes also swell up during cruises due to the excess salt in the food...eye bags throughout the cruise! But a friend recommended dandelion tea, which I took on my last cruise, and drinking it a few times a day helped with the ankles and eye bags. I used Roasted Dandelion Tea from Traditional Medicinals because it's not too bitter.

It happens to me every time we cruise except our last one. I drank bottled water on the last cruise when in the past I would drink glasses of water. My feet swell so bad I've had to wear flip flops on formal night!

Hi Lois . . . I had a fantastic time! But then how could anyone have anything but when on a cruise? :p

I did stop by the infirmary when getting back on board in Cozumel (our first stop when it was just my ankles). Walked by there as I was boarding and the nurse said it was very common and gave me a sheet of paper that in short just said to avoid foods high in salt.

I too had to give up wearing a really cute pair of strappy sandals because the straps were so tight that they left marks on my feet.

I still look like I'm suffering from elephantitis! :(

I have the same issues and now I use a juicer .i juice greens and an apple everyday and I find I don't get swollen when I go on a cruise,also I always elevate my legs at night on a pillow

• 1 month later...

My ankles swell when I fly, it's worse when there's more than one flight in a day (clearly I don't like that up-down motion!). My friend who is a chiropractor recommends what she calls "pumping" the ankle joint to encourage fluid movement -- basically flex your foot up and down, flexing and relaxing your calf muscle as you do it. I'll also roll my ankles, and elevate them when possible. But I find the "pumping" most effective, and if I do this frequently post-flight the swelling fades after a day or so.

I am going to pick up a pair of compression socks to try for my next flight.

• 2 weeks later...

Wowza this is an old post! :eek: But in case it helps anyone, here's my cure for swollen ankles when cruising. It's a two parter: 1) bottled water instead of tap water, and 2) I take 2 Midol every morning (also good if you overindulged the night before ;p ). It's a pain reliever with caffeine and a diuretic component for swelling and bloating. Perfect. Thanks to cancer, I have no need for Midol otherwise, but I still buy it for every cruise.

(Disclaimer: check with your doctor to ensure you are cleared to take it as it may be contraindicated with some prescription meds or be not recommended for some health conditions.)

I just do what I've read other posters say they do in other threads on this subject, and I've since quoted them on other threads because it worked for me - - - eat more watermelon (it works as a diuretic). It's natural, nothing extra to pack, and readily available on most buffets.

I sailed last month and it was the first time I can recall NOT having swelling the entire time:D......not sure if this helped

but I flew business class to Europe for this trip and the seat reclined flat into a bed:D.........first time I had ever flown

business class OMG..........it was FABULOUS..........anyway, I slept ALOT and my feet were raised..........and then when

we arrived they never swelled and the entire time on the cruise they didn't swell either.:D

Over the years I do recall them swelling.......this was sooooo awesome:)

Just experienced swelling for the first time. Figured out it was caused by sitting on bar stools without support for my feet (the footrest was too low). Used my life jacket to raise the end of the bed.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

• 6 months later...
  • 1 year later...
On 5/18/2013 at 5:58 PM, sjb317 said:

I've tried just about everything with no success, I always just count on having swollen feet on a cruise.:D However, on our last cruise, we purchased a drink package so for the first time, I drank only bottled water instead of the ship's. First time EVER to have no problems with swelling!:)

Sherri:)

I drank bottled water as well but I drank the ship's coffee, so I was still getting their water.