Beaches

sealeggs

Beaches in Costa Maya are in Mahahual's malecon, $3 tram from inside port/ or $3 taxi from outside port.

None have admission charges, with only a couple of exceptions, all have free loungers, just buy food and/or drink. No barriers between clubs. Find a spot you like (avoid the pitch of the lounger hawkers) and you're done.

Lots of reviews of places on this board.

Beaches in Costa Maya are in Mahahual's malecon, $3 tram from inside port/ or $3 taxi from outside port.

None have admission charges, with only a couple of exceptions, all have free loungers, just buy food and/or drink. No barriers between clubs. Find a spot you like (avoid the pitch of the lounger hawkers) and you're done.

Lots of reviews of places on this board.

Thanks Crewsweeper

I personally think the beaches in Costa Maya are about the worst I have ever seen on a cruise port. The pool in the "tourist trap" disembarkation area is OK by me. If ever a port stop warranted a "stay on the ship day", it is Costa Maya in my opinion.

Enjoy your cruise and hopefully you'll see something special that I must have missed!

BTW - be careful of the restaurants at the beach charging you an extra tax or service charge that doesn't exist. This happened to me and required some discussion with the manager.

I personally think the beaches in Costa Maya are about the worst I have ever seen on a cruise port. The pool in the "tourist trap" disembarkation area is OK by me. If ever a port stop warranted a "stay on the ship day", it is Costa Maya in my opinion.

Enjoy your cruise and hopefully you'll see something special that I must have missed!

BTW - be careful of the restaurants at the beach charging you an extra tax or service charge that doesn't exist. This happened to me and required some discussion with the manager.

Thanks for the restaurant info.

I've heard of this happening at some of the more aggressive lounger hawker places, like Corona Beach and even Tequila Beach and most recently at El Faro, next to Tropicante. But reputable places won't permit this. So be selective and informed as to where you want to go and, as always do read your bills before paying.

Been there before and was not impressed. Just a bunch of huts aggressively selling junk(including phony Cuban cigars). Wanted $50p/p to take us to beach which found out later was full of seaweed and very dirty. Will stay on the ship next time!