NCL Stock privileges and Tier Equality on Oceania

evagoblin

Due to their miserly prices, I took a lot of NCL cruises but now with an inheritance (if you want to leave your heirs money, buy housing in the San Francisco Bay Area, in almost 40 years the property appreciates almost 10-20X what you pay for it!) I want to try more of the upscale cruises. Since NCL owns Oceania, I thought of buying stock (kind of my rebate on traveling on the more expensive cruise line :D) but does anyone know if you get the same stockholder perks that you get on NCL and also I think that I have been told that if you are on a certain tier level on Royal Caribbean, you would be on the same tier level on their sister company ships, Celebrity, would that work the same way on NCL where I am a Platinum and Oceania? I admit with all the benefits and privileges of Oceania that may be a moot point as a low tier on them is better than a high tier on NCL :p!! NOT interested in the Haven, as a solo traveler, do not stay much in the room, so do not need the space. I realize that this may not be answered as probably as most people on NCL cruises do not take Oceania and vice versa;-) but maybe a travel professional or someone that knows a lot about them can answer. BTW, Oceania´s office is closed this weekend (and NCL bookers do not know) so can not ask O now and another reason to post maybe there is ONE other person like me who wants to do this and know also !!

Edited by evagoblin

Due to their miserly prices, I took a lot of NCL cruises but now with an inheritance (if you want to leave your heirs money, buy housing in the San Francisco Bay Area, in almost 40 years the property appreciates almost 10-20X what you pay for it!) I want to try more of the upscale cruises. Since NCL owns Oceania, I thought of buying stock (kind of my rebate on traveling on the more expensive cruise line :D) but does anyone know if you get the same stockholder perks that you get on NCL and also I think that I have been told that if you are on a certain tier level on Royal Caribbean, you would be on the same tier level on their sister company ships, Celebrity, would that work the same way on NCL where I am a Platinum and Oceania? I admit with all the benefits and privileges of Oceania that may be a moot point as a low tier on them is better than a high tier on NCL :p!! NOT interested in the Haven, as a solo traveler, do not stay much in the room, so do not need the space. I realize that this may not be answered as probably as most people on NCL cruises do not take Oceania and vice versa;-) but maybe a travel professional or someone that knows a lot about them can answer. BTW, Oceania´s office is closed this weekend (and NCL bookers do not know) so can not ask O now and another reason to post maybe there is ONE other person like me who wants to do this and know also !!
Shareholder Benefit Frequently Asked Questions

1. What is the shareholder benefit?

$250 Onboard Credit per Stateroom on Sailings of 15 or more days.

$100 Onboard Credit per Stateroom on Sailings of 7 to 14 days.

$50 Onboard Credit per Stateroom on Sailings of 6 days or less.

Offer valid for any cruise vacation on Norwegian Cruise Line[emoji768], Oceania Cruises[emoji768] or Regent Seven Seas

Cruises[emoji768], excluding any charter sailings. Additional terms and conditions may apply.

2. Who is eligible for this benefit?

This exclusive benefit is reserved solely for shareholders owning a minimum of 100 shares of Norwegian

Cruise Line Holdings Ltd. (NCLH) at time of sailing.

3. How do I redeem this benefit?

To redeem this special offer, simply complete the Shareholder Benefit Request Form which is available

on the Investor Relations website at http://www.nclhltdinvestor.com and mail or email with accompanying

documentation. You will be asked to provide your name, address, email address, telephone number,

reservation number, ship and sailing date along with a photocopy of your shareholder proxy card or

photocopy of a current brokerage statement (brokerage account number must be blacked out before

submitting) showing proof of ownership of at least 100 shares of Norwegian Cruise Line Holdings Ltd.

(NCLH). All shareholder benefit requests must be received at least fifteen days prior to sailing date.

From NCLH.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Forums mobile app

Was recently reading of the rental issues there and top $$$ FB software engineers who reached out to the boss for help (does he have a reputation for empathy?). We too have this real estate pricing problem and is exacerbated by airbnb.

NCLH holds ownership in Regent, Oceania and NCL.

Sorry no, there is no loyalty reward across the three lines. The reward, and how they are earned are so different. A formula has not been worked out. I look forward to a free cruise over say over say, laundry (though that was a hot topic) and an 'exclusive' brunch. If they could work it out maybe a few more O regulars would give Regent a try but seems based on those two laundry threads there will be a great deal of angst if a higher tier feels their benefits are diminished by some perq given to a lower group. I think a sharing points program would good but would take careful planning.

Not sure how the three lines could have a fair loyalty program (if it could be used for all of the ships). After all, look at the per diem on NCL vs. Oceania vs. Regent. Perhaps they could state that xx number of nights on NCL = 1 night on Oceania and xx nights on Oceania = 1 night on Regent.

Regent does not offer a "free cruise" nor would we want one (it would likely be in the lowest category which is a category that we never book). Plus, we earned the benefits that we have and utilize them on every single trip (not only laundry). We are able to have a free air deviation (not sure if NCL even includes air), a percentage off of our excursions (the best ones are not "included"), etc.

While I never say never, I can say that I hope the three cruise lines remain separate. We have sailed on Oceania without receiving the benefits that we receive on Regent. The benefit for us was a huge suite for less money than we would pay on Regent. If we sailed on NCL, we could likely book the largest suite for less than we would pay on Regent or Oceania. Having said that, it is obviously easier to go to a less expensive cruise line than to a more expensive one.

Sometimes working your way up makes the reward that much greater. It took years to go from staying in motels, then Club Med's and onto inclusive resorts in Mexico to doing a Disney cruise and then Regent (in the smallest suite) and now - almost 14 years later still on Regent and being able to book PH suites (or take advantage of upsells and stay in even larger suites). Starting at the bottom, at least for us, makes us appreciate what we have now.

WOW - So much text, so little punctuation. Thank goodness for the random smilies ;);p:D

WOW - So much text, so little punctuation. Thank goodness for the random smilies ;);p:D

Sure there are run on sentences but I saw many periods, commas with even some exclamation points not to mention the obligatory question mark dispute the fact that the punctuation is sometimes incorrectly used. So what is your point? ;p;):D

According to the CC guidelines, we're not supposed to comment on a person's grammar & spelling.

"It is important to remember that everyone makes mistakes at one time or another, and that there are many users who use English as a second language, especially on our Cruise Boards. There are also a number of people who suffer from learning disabilities and who have difficulty noticing their spelling mistakes. Do not make comments on the spelling and grammar of other users. It is simply not a productive expenditure of energies."

Edited by ChucktownSteve

[According to the CC guidelines, we're not supposed to comment on a person's grammar & spelling.

"It is important to remember that everyone makes mistakes at one time or another, and that there are many users who use English as a second language, especially on our Cruise Boards. There are also a number of people who suffer from learning disabilities and who have difficulty noticing their spelling mistakes. Do not make comments on the spelling and grammar of other users. It is simply not a productive expenditure of energies."

+1

• 4 months later...

Booked on Oceania and attempted to claim my shareholder benefit. Apparently because I purchased this cruise on sale (a very good price offered by Prestige Cruises), I’m not eligible for my benefit. I always have booked sale fares on NCL and have had no problem claiming shareholder perk. Anyone else find this issue with Oceania?

Booked on Oceania and attempted to claim my shareholder benefit. Apparently because I purchased this cruise on sale (a very good price offered by <snip>), I’m not eligible for my benefit. I always have booked sale fares on NCL and have had no problem claiming shareholder perk. Anyone else find this issue with Oceania?

As per CC rules you are not to mention TAs

Yes, that has been reported here before. Unlike NCL, O does not normally have "sale fares". Usually increase amenities or if just a few cabins very targeted marketing. Occasionally one does come along through a discount and I'd expect they are restricted from combining reductions such as this. I did see such an offer and it stated such.

What did the TA you bought this through say?

Edit ti add that have read on other boards where the shareholder benefit cannot be combined with any other offer and being as they seem to almost always have some deal the shareholders have found it very hard to get the benefit at all. So I think this restricting is becoming mire common. Sounds you have done well with your NCL bookings.

Edited by YoHoHo

We had the same experience with Regent. Apparently, we got such a special price that we could not claim our stockholder benefit. What upsets me more though is the fact that for the last two years, NCL has changed the wording on their stockholder benefit to only include cruises booked that current year. We book farther in advance and are being told we can not get our stockholder benefit because of that.

We had the same experience with Regent. Apparently, we got such a special price that we could not claim our stockholder benefit. What upsets me more though is the fact that for the last two years, NCL has changed the wording on their stockholder benefit to only include cruises booked that current year. We book farther in advance and are being told we can not get our stockholder benefit because of that.

How are you "being told we can not get our stockholder benefit because of that". Is it the wording on NCLH shareholder benefits page or begin told by someone you know or from reading similar posts here on CC or were you actually denied (and told that the reason is you booked prior to 2017?)

I asking about that clarification because I have read other posts about that wording but I *think* they were approved none-the-less (posts can be unclear at times)

I am not questioning what you are saying is true just wondering if the denial was official.

I booked a cruise early 2016 for Spring 2017. The restriction of must have been booked after Jan 6 2017 was in place at the the of my application. The approval letter I received restated that but still approved.

Now in that case I booked in the year prior to the change and the cruise was just 4 months into 2017 so making an exception was not a stretch (thanks NCLH).

For my next cruise like you I also booked in 2016 but is not until later this year. I would like to know if you have already submitted the application and was declined so I know what to expect when mine rolls around. I realize that if you are approved now does not mean I will be later this year but if you are indeed denied then likely I will be too so your experience will be helpful.

I don't invest for a shareholder benefit but it is a nice loyalty benefit. O wants customers to book long in advance and encourage it. Denying this benefit counters that and leaves a little bad taste. (OTOH once on board a pain au chocolat will take care of that :)

Buying stock or making an investment based on getting an on board credit is pennwise and pound foolish Talk to an adviser like or invest in top grade stocks that pay dividends annually plus appreciate in value. Some companies pay 3 to 5% annual dividend.

Cruises are not super investments and subject to peoples' discretion...

Do some homework and like some of us, your dividend checks and increase in value will pay for all your future cruises

Buying stock or making an investment based on getting an on board credit is pennwise and pound foolish Talk to an adviser like or invest in top grade stocks that pay dividends annually plus appreciate in value. Some companies pay 3 to 5% annual dividend.

Cruises are not super investments and subject to peoples' discretion...

Do some homework and like some of us, your dividend checks and increase in value will pay for all your future cruises

My decision to purchase Carnival Corp stock has been quite profitable! I bought it in 2008 when the stock was down to $25/share and now it's $68.76, plus all the quarterly dividends and OBC I've gotten for the past 10 years. I bought NCLH stock a year ago for $50.70 and now it's $57.90....so far, so good. I hold both of these in a Roth IRA. I would never have gotten them just for OBC, but it's a nice perk, along with dividends. And I can get OBC for sailing on any of 13 cruiselines.