First time in Belize...what to do?

cruisewithsuze

Going to Belize for the first time on a Carnival cruise. My husband and I are trying to decide which excursion to book there. We are jet skiing and snorkeling in Cayman Islands, going to Little French Key in Roatan. I've read many reviews and suggestions about cave tubing and am leaning that direction. What are your thoughts? If it were your first time there, what would you do?

There is very very little to do in Belize without taking an excursion of some sort.

To get to a decent beach you'll need to go by boat to one of their barrier islands.

Taking a catamaran snorkel excursion is also a great thing to do there. :D

I've read ALL of the posts about Belize hence my struggle to find an excursion. Like I said in my post, I'm really interested in cavetubing, but want to make sure it is as fun and exciting as it looks. My husband read some negative reviews and now he's not sure he wants to do it.

We will be there in a couple of weeks.

I also thought about touring the city, but from what I have read there is not much at the port to do or see.

Thank for the websites. I will take a look at them too.

Take the snorkeling trip! All day trip is amazing!! Trip stops at Caye Caulker, a very quaint island. We have been going to the Belize Cayes for 10 years..... Trust me!

Take the snorkeling trip! All day trip is amazing!! Trip stops at Caye Caulker, a very quaint island. We have been going to the Belize Cayes for 10 years..... Trust me!

do you always book snorkeling through the ship? i like to go on my own to get away from crowds, but never been to Belize.

We went to goffs caye. It was awesome

did you book ahead or when you got off the ship? Belize has been the most difficult port to find info on. I like to avoid ship excursions, but I'm having trouble deciding how to get a snorkeling trip "on my own".

A couple of years ago I had booked a trip to Ambergris Key with Exoctic Eco Adventures but we were late getting off the ship and my flight had left. When I got to their booth inside the terminal building they offered me a full cash refund even though I had paid with a credit card (my wife's that I didn't have with me). I ended up booking a snorkeling trip to Goffs Caye and it was a pretty good day. There were plenty of tour companies in the terminal.

The down side of going on your own is that you have to take the rather long tender ride before hooking up with your guide. If you book with the ship the trade off for the crowds is that you leave directly from the ship. If you plan on heading to Lamanai ruins I would absolutely do a ship excursion.

• 2 weeks later...

We are also stopping in Belize City in Feb. I usually do independent tours but for this stop we are doing a ship's snorkeling tour. I have been to many Mayan ruins and really want to snorkel the reef there. I did look into Coral Breeze tours for other options. You might look at their website. They have quite a few options for cruisers.

• 4 weeks later...

My wife and I have been to Belize many times on cruises. I recommend the cave tubing if you've never done it. Also the Mayan ruins are very interesting. This time we are doing the Sit & Sip pedal cruise for something different. Hope you have a great cruise. :cool:

We did the Xunantunich ruins tour thru Carnival and it was great.I definitely would recommend taking it thru Carnival as it is about an hour and a half bus ride each way but the tour guides were fantastic and gave out tons of info about the ruins and life in Belize.The lunch provided was really very goo(a Belizian style chicken,rice,beans and plantains).The bus ride back was very low key as most people slept or just enjoyed the scenery as we drove along.Th ruins were beautiful and you could climb the tallest one and see over to Guatemala.

• 2 weeks later...
To out the Barrier Reef from Belize is so worthwhile -- 2nd largest barrier reef in the world. (y)

This is my goal...to snorkel on the barrier reef near Belize. What company did you go with? Did the boat have any shade? Thanks!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

• 2 weeks later...
We went to goffs caye. It was awesome

did you book ahead or when you got off the ship? Belize has been the most difficult port to find info on. I like to avoid ship excursions, but I'm having trouble deciding how to get a snorkeling trip "on my own".

Maybe check with a travel agent?

I am late to the post, and I haven't been to Belize via cruise. However, I have spent a decent chunk of time there. The zoo is a nice place, an interesting, more relaxing activity. The Mayan ruins are pretty cool and they typically do let you climb to the top of them. And of course snorkeling along the worlds second largest barrier reef is always a neat thing to do.

Going to Belize for the first time on a Carnival cruise. My husband and I are trying to decide which excursion to book there. We are jet skiing and snorkeling in Cayman Islands, going to Little French Key in Roatan. I've read many reviews and suggestions about cave tubing and am leaning that direction. What are your thoughts? If it were your first time there, what would you do?

I would actually recommend you go to West End Beach (Tabyana Beach) in Roatan. The most awesome beach and you can snorkel at the end of it right from hip height water. One of my most favorite places I've ever visited. Roatan is awesome.

Belize - I don't even have a suggestion. Both times I've been there have been a bit disappointing.