Hotels in San Juan

nnroger

Hi,

We recently found out that our 10/29 cruise on the Carnival Fascination is back on. We are leaving from San Juan and were set to arrive on 10/27, however, it appears that San Juan is still without electricity. What are people doing who are traveling on Fascination and leaving from San Juan? Does anyone know if any hotels in the area are ready to accept guests? Thanks so much

We are leaving the 15th. We changed our plane reservations to arrive the same day as the cruise ship departures. No available hotels October the 14th. We had reservations at the San Juan Sheraton. They cancelled our reservation because they are shut until December. We are going to roll the dice that the planes get there on time. We are flying Delta, they have been GREAT! Delta changed our flights, no charge. Also, they called us wanting to know if we still planed to travel to San Juan. Carnival sent us 0 emails or texts or called us once since the hurricane hit 3 weeks ago. We finally got an update today, lees than a week from our departure.

We are leaving the 15th. We changed our plane reservations to arrive the same day as the cruise ship departures. No available hotels October the 14th. We had reservations at the San Juan Sheraton. They cancelled our reservation because they are shut until December. We are going to roll the dice that the planes get there on time. We are flying Delta, they have been GREAT! Delta changed our flights, no charge. Also, they called us wanting to know if we still planed to travel to San Juan. Carnival sent us 0 emails or texts or called us once since the hurricane hit 3 weeks ago. We finally got an update today, lees than a week from our departure.

The same thing happened to me and my sister. We sail on the Fascination 12/3/17 and were flying in 2 days pre cruise and one day post cruise. They cancelled our reservations so we changed our flights with AA no charge so we will be arriving at 4:36 pm...So hopefully just get our luggage and head straight to the cruise port.

Hi,

We recently found out that our 10/29 cruise on the Carnival Fascination is back on. We are leaving from San Juan and were set to arrive on 10/27, however, it appears that San Juan is still without electricity. What are people doing who are traveling on Fascination and leaving from San Juan? Does anyone know if any hotels in the area are ready to accept guests? Thanks so much

My son works for FEMA and is currently living/working aboard the TS Empire State docked in San Juan about 500 yards from the Carnival dock. While I have no specifics and of course urge you to contact your provider(s), I'd be very surprised if almost any hotel is open or even if power is restored beyond that provided by generator. Things are quite primitive as of this moment. As an example, I just got the right to send him US Postal this weekend to a specific FEMA address. San Juan is not tourist ready by any stretch at this moment.

The same thing happened to me and my sister. We sail on the Fascination 12/3/17 and were flying in 2 days pre cruise and one day post cruise. They cancelled our reservations so we changed our flights with AA no charge so we will be arriving at 4:36 pm...So hopefully just get our luggage and head straight to the cruise port.

One suggestion I might add is that you should still try to avoid connecting flights day of sailing.

Still fly out the day before as you planned, but overnight at or by your connecting airport and catch book the first direct flight in for day of sailing.

You may have to call the Airlines to get this or you can select the multi-segment option on the website to book the three flights and you may end up with an extra set of bag fees. But I’d feel a lot better avoiding a connecting flight day of sailing.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

One suggestion I might add is that you should still try to avoid connecting flights day of sailing.

Still fly out the day before as you planned, but overnight at or by your connecting airport and catch book the first direct flight in for day of sailing.

You may have to call the Airlines to get this or you can select the multi-segment option on the website to book the three flights and you may end up with an extra set of bag fees. But I’d feel a lot better avoiding a connecting flight day of sailing.

This is exactly what we did. We were supposed to arrive a day early and stay at the Sheraton OSJ 10/21 but they'll be closed and we haven't even been able to get through to places we heard might be open.

Because we have to re-book with the same airline (United) the 'normal' flight to arrive the day-of only had a 1 hour layover. After all this, I didn't want to stress about our first leg getting delayed! We're still leaving home Friday night, will have a 25 hour "stayover" in Newark, and then a "direct" flight from EWR to SJU on Sunday morning at 7am.

The people at United were great with the change - she made sure we'd still have no fees breaking the two flights apart. Our cruise-mates are on JetBlue and they were really friendly and updated them with no trouble as well.

Now I just have to figure out what to do with a day in Jersey.... :confused:

I haven't received an e-mail from Sheraton OSJ cancelling our reservations for 12 Nov. We have reservations at the Dream Inn for 4 Nov. They are open and using a generator. Should be an adventure.

Yes, I saw on the sheraton website that they will be closed until the end of November. I had a reservation for the 4th but changed to the San Juan Airport Hotel.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Hi,

I have no idea if they have availability but The Coral Princess is up and running with a generator. We stayed there for a week before our cruise last year and they were great

Because we have to re-book with the same airline (United)...:

One of the not so great things about United is they have no hub in the South East. Houston is not any closer to SJ than Newark and and it’s actually easier to NYC from Newark than it is to get to Houston from IAH.

United canceled my flights from DC without notifying me. Found out checking their website. So anyone with booked United flights from Dulles should check. I found nonstop flights from BWI on Southwest for the day of which I booked. If the hotel I booked for the day before becomes a sure thing I will consider changing that flight. Southwest does not charge a change fee. JetBlue also has nonstop flights from DC but those didn’t leave until 7:00 pm on the return from San Juan.

I spent almost all day trying to find an air bnb in old san Juan. Every one that replied said "no power yet". Did not find one.

My BF just called Casablanca and supposedly they are open and he has a confirmation number. No working elevator but generator to run everything else. Crossing fingers as we knock on the door come Saturday.....

I spent almost all day trying to find an air bnb in old san Juan. Every one that replied said "no power yet". Did not find one.

I had emailed some places and finally got a response yesterday from one that was available - after we'd already re-booked out flights. He said it's harder to get things ready right now (obviously) so was asking for a 2 night min, but you could give it a try. It's HomeAway property # 883207.

Link here.

I can tell you that I spoke with Da'House Hotel today and they are not open for business yet, they had thought they would be by Oct 4. They are now saying they hope for this weekend but we were supposed to stay Thursday thru Saturday this week.

I have confirmed reservations at the AC Hotel (pre-cruise) and Comfort Inn (post-cruise). AC Hotel confirmed that they are honoring reservations through the end of this month, but not accepting new reservations until after November 1st. Comfort Inn is taking reservations now based on availability.

I originally had a reservation pre-cruise at Casablanca. When I didn't hear from them I made the reservation at the AC Hotel. I finally heard from them this week that they are up and running, but the elevator isn't working. That didn't work for us, so I canceled out there.

My BF just called Casablanca and supposedly they are open and he has a confirmation number. No working elevator but generator to run everything else. Crossing fingers as we knock on the door come Saturday.....

Please report back after your stay. We are due to stay with them in December.

Sent from my iPad using Forums