Weather conditions

Moose12345

We are looking at a cruise in Europe. It leaves from Amsterdam and goes to ports in Berlin, Helsinki, St. Petersburg, Tallinn, Stockholm and Copenhagen.

We have never done a cruise to Europe. Can someone who has done this cruise tell me what to expect as far as the weather goes. Also will it be fairly smooth sailing on the ship?:confused::confused:

Sorry, I forgot to say when it was going. There is one June 26th, one July 20th and Aug 1st and Aug 25th. We were looking at the Aug.25th date. Are the waters calm then or should we be going earlier? And is one month better than the other as far as rain goes. Thanks!!

A quick Google search (for example, "Copenhagen weather May" or whenever is appropriate) will get you tons of info.

Seas can be rough any time, any where. While the Baltic is generally calmer in the cruise season, there is absolutely no way to assure or predict that. You are on a ship, in a sea. The sea can move, thus moving the ship.

I look up historical temperatures on Weather Underground but I recognize that averages are only averages and their could be a record high or low when I am there.

CruiserBruce has it right. You just never know what the seas will be like. We hope for the best but prepare for the worst.

Keith

I was in Banff a few years back, at the end of April/beginning of May. On the Thursday the weather was twenty degrees (68 degrees for our American cousins), sunny and clear. On Saturday there was 18 inches of snow on the ground (45 centimetres for our Canadian cousins) and the temperature was about freezing point.

So can you tell me what sort of weather to expect in Banff this Spring?

European weather is broadly similar - ie. variable. Not as variable as that, but nonetheless, expect between (say) 10 and 30 degrees depending on location and weather, and you'll probably be right. August on average tends to be warmer than June, and you can check average rainfall with great ease all over the internet - I doubt it's enough to be a decision-maker. Chances are it won't be stormy, so the various seas will more likely than not be OK.

In the Baltic and anywhere in Northern Europe the summer weather is changeable.

We went on a Baltic cruise mid September and it was hot everywhere. In fact, a bit too hot in Tallin, around 32c.

Our friends went in mid August and also had hot weather, particularly in SPB.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

It may be easier if we know what you're comparing to. The Baltic Sea tends to be rougher than a non-stormy sailing in the Caribbean and far choppier than someplace like the Inside Passage on an Alaska cruise. It tends to be a bit calmer on average than the North Sea. If you're prone to seasickness, take precautions in case you have some swell.

For temperature, it really is a crap shoot. It can be anything from tropically warm to Alaskan cool and wet. Most likely you won't be able to use the outside pool much, but bring a suit because there's a chance. Hope for sun, but be prepared to walk around port in a cool rain. Varied weight layers are the key, along with a good windproof/waterproof jacket (preferably breathable). Don't count on an umbrella, because port cities can become very windy.

If you're still in the decision-making stage, this is not a beachy Caribbean-style cruise, and the draw is more the culture and history of the ports. If it's something you're interested in doing, any time during the season is going to be a good choice. It does tend to be warmer later in the summer on average, but the weather really is hugely variable, and some years definitely skew well above or below that. I often find myself wrapped up against a chilly rain on the same day that I was swimming in the ocean a year before.

I'm surprised to hear that some people had hot weather. Maybe because it was August.

I was there, in the Baltics, and we were told the weather was very changeable. It rained in Tallian and it was chilly, however, when the sun came out it was hot & muggy. It was cool in St. Petersburg, because it was gray & we didn't see the sun.

On the boat ride, around St. Petersburg, it was windy and cold. Thank goodness they provided us with blankets. Bring lots of layers. Our thin jackets were not enough.

Sorry, I forgot to say when it was going. There is one June 26th, one July 20th and Aug 1st and Aug 25th. We were looking at the Aug.25th date. Are the waters calm then or should we be going earlier? And is one month better than the other as far as rain goes. Thanks!!

It's the ocean. Not a problem until it's a problem.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Can't speak for the other dates, but if you are considering the end of August, you will have to prepare for cooler temps. As was said, no one can predict for sure, but if you have to go by averages, which is all we have, then you will feel the Autumn chill most mornings and evenings. We did our Baltic cruise, mid August and ended late august and that is exactly what we experienced. I would forget the shorts, opting for jeans. You won't need a heavy coat, but a lightweight windbreaker that is waterproof will be a necessity.

As has been mentioned, layers are the rule. We always had our jackets when we left in the AM, but by noon, it was off and we enjoyed very pleasant days. If you go out at night, especially if the ship is moving, you will feel the chill.

Cheers

Len

kaisatsu pretty much nailed it and @giantfan I disgaree with you since my almost 40 years of experience

says that it varies allot from year to year. It also depends on what the weather was like during the summer since

a summer with several heat waves means that the Baltic seas will be warm which will spread the warmness along it's coast line.

There are plenty of years where it is very warm all through September where the autumn chill doesn't appear until October,

I'm going to ask what might seem like a dumb question to most of you, but I really have no idea on this.

Is a Baltic cruise the same as a Scandinavia & Russia cruise? If not, what is the difference?

Sorry if it seems like a silly question. :o

I'm going to ask what might seem like a dumb question to most of you, but I really have no idea on this.

Is a Baltic cruise the same as a Scandinavia & Russia cruise? If not, what is the difference?

They are one and the same, by most cruise line's definitions.

We are looking at a cruise in Europe. It leaves from Amsterdam and goes to ports in Berlin, Helsinki, St. Petersburg, Tallinn, Stockholm and Copenhagen.

We have never done a cruise to Europe. Can someone who has done this cruise tell me what to expect as far as the weather goes. Also will it be fairly smooth sailing on the ship?:confused::confused:

Did the cruise. When are you planning?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Technically, a "Scandinavia & Russia" cruise ought only to include Scandinavia (Norway, Sweden, Denmark) and Russia. A Baltic Cruise is named for the Baltic Sea and would thus include any assortment of ports there, including also Germany, Poland, Finland, Estonia, Latvia, and Lithuania.

Most likely, "Scandinavia & Russia" is just a marketing name rather than a geographic designation.

When we were in ST Petersburg at the end of July 2015, the first day was overcast with a temp of 16c. The 2nd was sunny, but still cool. Our guide told us that the locals call the season ‘The Green Winter.’ I.e leaves are on the trees, but temperatures can vary considerably.