Ama or Scenic or Crystal of another?

flare3192

we have never river cruised but are planning to do one in 2018. We are thinking of the 15+- day amsterdam to budapest. However I have gotten lost in what differentiates the different companies -- Most everything I find says they are all great. I am thinking that the daily tour options may be what differentiates one line from another but even then -- seems like some people love the city walks but others find them not very in depth and are disappointed.

I find very little feedback on Scenic but did find a class action lawsuit in Australia when the floods hit Europe a few years ago -- seems they were not well prepared for it but hopefully that won't happen next year.

AMA is easy to follow as far as what excursions they offer. Crystal appears to have the most choices each day. Scenic had some interesting offerings.

I would appreciate why you would choose one over the other and knowing how well each one does shore excursions.

Thank you

Have you read the Stickies posted at the top of the forum? Very helpful overviews as are the reviews posted.

We have done one cruise with Scenic and 8 with AMA. Scenic was fully inclusive which AMA is not.

AMA offers a more extensive choice of excursions than on our Scenic cruise. We preferred the food quality and options on AMA to Scenic overall as well as evening entertainment. Crew and staff great on AMA and good on Scenic. We were one of the first Scenic cruises of the season last year and I think they were not operating on all cylinders. We would try Scenic again but AMA remains our favorite.

• 2 weeks later...

Before our first river cruise, I studied the Boards to see which cruise lines best handled anomalous situations, such as high or low water levels. Scenic had numerous complaints (documented on other threads). The Tauck customers all seemed to pretty content with how the company dealt with the situation. Last year Crystal's holiday cruise was impacted, and guests were generally pretty satisfied with adjustments that Crystal made. I prefer to book with a line in which I have confidence that management will strive to minimize impacts on guests in anomalous situations and do their best to keep them happy in such situations. This is one of the reasons that I will continue to book with Tauck and Crystal.

We recently returned from two B2B itineraries on the Crystal Mozart and were very impressed.

We found the food to be even better than what they offer on their ocean ships. The menus were varied and took advantage of fresh local ingredients. The service onboard was excellent all staff were well trained. Some of our favorite crew members will be transferring to Crystal's new river boats once launched, and I am confident that the new riverboats will uphold the same standards in food quality and service.

As you mention, one appealing feature of the Crystal shore excursions was that there are multiple choices of excursions in most ports unlike most other river cruise lines. On our B2B voyages with different itineraries we repeated 3 of the ports, and had no problem finding different shore excursion of interest for each trip.

Our other river cruise a few years ago was on the Tauck Inspire, and we enjoyed that trip. However Tauck's schedule is more rigid and there is typically just one shore excursion offered in each port. Tauck tends to offer a slow walkers' group in each port which is helpful for some, while Crystal does not. We somewhat prefer the flexibility in tour selection that Crystal offers, but we can be happy sailing either line.

As you mention, one appealing feature of the Crystal shore excursions was that there are multiple choices of excursions in most ports unlike most other river cruise lines. .

AMA has a good range of included excursions in each port on most of their itineraries. The Douro was the exception.

We also had options daily with Uniworld and Scenic, included.

I appreciate both responses but am really confused. I tried to find feedback on Scenic but did not find what RLMSLL did. However I did find that Scenic has taken an insurance policy which, I think, is in response to the problems they had in the flood a few years ago.

Crystal is two days longer than the other cruises. I had thought to add an extension to Prague for 3 days after the cruise but would not be able to do that with Crystal. That said, we could just do the cruise and not do Prague. It would be left for another time.

Caviargirl I have been torn between Scenic and AMA but like some of the scenic excursions better and they are running a promotion so that we would save about 3-4,000 on the trip. That said, if we had a bad experience it is not worth the savings -- I would rather pay the extra.

Both AMA and Scenic would allow us the time to go to Prague for 3 nights after. It is not critical but I would like to do it.

We held a cabin on Scenic and the deposit is due Wednesday but I guess I am having second thoughts after reading RLMSLL's post. I also have not found an agent that is familiar with Scenic or has booked someone on it. I have not, however, been able to find where Scenic did not do well and Tauck and Crystal did and nothing on AMA either -- would like to have that information.

we have never river cruised but are planning to do one in 2018. We are thinking of the 15+- day amsterdam to budapest. However I have gotten lost in what differentiates the different companies -- Most everything I find says they are all great. I am thinking that the daily tour options may be what differentiates one line from another but even then -- seems like some people love the city walks but others find them not very in depth and are disappointed.

I find very little feedback on Scenic but did find a class action lawsuit in Australia when the floods hit Europe a few years ago -- seems they were not well prepared for it but hopefully that won't happen next year.

AMA is easy to follow as far as what excursions they offer. Crystal appears to have the most choices each day. Scenic had some interesting offerings.

I would appreciate why you would choose one over the other and knowing how well each one does shore excursions.

Thank you

There is a stickie at the start of the river cruise section of cruise critic that compares the various cruise companies.

That would be a good place to start.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I appreciate both responses but am really confused. I tried to find feedback on Scenic but did not find what RLMSLL did. However I did find that Scenic has taken an insurance policy which, I think, is in response to the problems they had in the flood a few years ago.

Crystal is two days longer than the other cruises. I had thought to add an extension to Prague for 3 days after the cruise but would not be able to do that with Crystal. That said, we could just do the cruise and not do Prague. It would be left for another time.

Caviargirl I have been torn between Scenic and AMA but like some of the scenic excursions better and they are running a promotion so that we would save about 3-4,000 on the trip. That said, if we had a bad experience it is not worth the savings -- I would rather pay the extra.

Both AMA and Scenic would allow us the time to go to Prague for 3 nights after. It is not critical but I would like to do it.

We held a cabin on Scenic and the deposit is due Wednesday but I guess I am having second thoughts after reading RLMSLL's post. I also have not found an agent that is familiar with Scenic or has booked someone on it. I have not, however, been able to find where Scenic did not do well and Tauck and Crystal did and nothing on AMA either -- would like to have that information.

The search function on CC is not as powerful as I would like. Here is one thread that outlines issues with a lack of communication to those booked, but I think there were other threads that addressed how Scenic dealt with the logistics:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1857235

We visited Prague independently prior to our recent Crystal cruise, which was round trip out of Vienna, and Prague is well worth making the effort to visit. We used Mike's Chauffeur Service (recommended by Rick Steves) to make the transfer between our hotel in Prague and our pre-cruise hotel in Vienna. We could have done a straight transfer, but we decided to do a sightseeing transfer via Cesky Krumlov. The booking process was easy, and the transfer was smooth and scenic. :)

Mike's Chauffeur Service also offers reasonably priced transfers between Prague and Budapest, so it is an option worth considering. Here is a link to the TripAdvisor Reviews:

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g274707-d8005793-Reviews-Mike_s_Chauffeur_Service-Prague_Bohemia.html

See Route F for the Budapest to Prague sightseeing options. They also offer a direct transfer:

https://mike-chauffeur.cz/central-europe-trips.html#route-f

Thus the logistics would still be fairly simple to include a visit to Prague if you decide to go with Crystal. :)

There are threads on how Tauck and Crystal dealt with anomalous situations. Tauck's was from the same time period as the Scenic thread. Crystal's was from the 2016 holiday cruise.:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2433116&highlight=crystal+mozart

Hi flare3192, I cannot comment on any other river cruise line other than Scenic, we leave a week today on our sixth cruise with them, Amsterdam to Budapest. The reasons we have continued using them are, excellent service, excursions we like, attention to detail I could go on indefintly. The water level challenges in the past, along with other cruise companies have largely been alieviated by the introduction of more vessels to fleets enabling ship swops and this can happen during high water levels as ships cannot duck under low bridges. Scenic ships overall have very shallow drafts so they are one of the last companies to be challenged during drought conditions.

Scenic usually has a choice of activities each day and their walking tours include, gentle, intermediate and faster paced if required, they do not cancel an excursion even if there are only two participants. Electrically assisted bikes are available for planned excursions and to use by anyone when they like. The staff on board and tour guides are without fail excellent. I think remembering my other half's preferred martini concoction after a few hours can't be bad. I once asked for a Tio Pepe before dinner on the first night and the bar steward immidietly asked if I preferred it chilled, a bottle was placed in the fridge there and then but then others discovered my favourite pre-dinner tipple, he ho! Don't forget Scenic is all inclusive, anything else you would like to know just ask. Happy cruising CA

P.S. The reason we haven't tried any other river cruise company, we haven't found another whose itinerary tweeks our interest.

Edited by Canal archive
P.S.

I would highly recommend 3 days in Prague as it is lovely and well worth a visit.

We have been on AMA 8x and Scenic once, on their Bordeaux itinerary. We enjoyed Scenic overall but preferred the food (overall quality and variety) on our AMA cruises; the variety of excursions offered in each port; the excellent cruise managers and hotel managers aboard their ships; the evening entertainment.

Scenic was fully inclusive, which was nice. Crew was professional and personable and provided excellent service. Wines and spirits included of a high standard. We were among a very small percentage of passengers aboard not from Australia and the UK, which we totally enjoyed as they were very social and engaging.

We have been on multiple cruises that had high or low water issues, some significant. AMA did an outstanding job adapting to the situation. On none of these sailings did we miss any ports, change ships, end up with bus rides instead of cruising. On our Rhone cruise, they had to completely reverse the itinerary and brought extra staff on board to make sure all went seamlessly, which it did. One cruise with AMA in Koblenz we had extremely low water levels. Many lines turned cruises into bus trips but AMA's shallow draft enabled us to sail on safely. For the Rhine Gorge, the levels were too low to navigate safely. AMA chartered a brand new day cruiser that accommodated 600 people just for our cruise and fully catered the boat and took us down the gorge as planned. They had buses to pick us up at the end and deliver us to the ship. It was very impressive!

If you can get the itinerary you want and excursions you prefer on Scenic for a few thousand less, then that may be what makes your decision.

I returned from our 1st Tauck river cruise on the Danube last month. We started in Prague (a must see) and one of the highlights of our trip. We ended in Budapest and Tauck is 1st class in everything they touch. Be sure to include them while making your decision. You will not be disappointed.

I can only speak for Scenic river cruise. The one we took - Basel to Amsterdam - was very enjoyable and had great excursions. We were with another couple. The only issue I had with Scenic was the evening meals, it seemed that everyone sat at once and each course was served to the entire dining room at a time which didn't allow for a small quick dinner if you were tired etc. However, I am hearing that you do not need to go into dinner with everyone else and there seems to now be an informal "café" for a small dinner. Some of our issue may have been the couple we were with wanted to eat in the dining room every evening. In looking for another river cruise I am including Scenic.

I was on Avalon recently and I was told by many that they loved Scenic and travelled regularly with them.

I really don't think you would go wrong with Ama, Avalon, Scenic or Tauck.

Pick the itinerary and length of cruise you want, then see which one meets your desire and price point most closely.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Thank you everyone. I do appreciate the replies. We finally put a deposit down with AMA as we were most comfortable with them. We know if things go well we will have a great cruise with all of them. But AMA seems to do well even if there are situations to deal with.

The issue for me with Scenic is that there was a class action lawsuit against them in Australia. The lawsuit because of the way they handled a bad situation and things I have read include an 8 hour bus ride with a stop for sandwiches that Scenic did not pay for, hotels people thought were not acceptable, walking through a construction zone to get to the ship -- they now forbid a class action lawsuit in their terms and conditions. I found some of the people when I called to ask questions were helpful but about half were not and I did not feel they were that interested in my business. Scenic may very well have dealt with the issues and handle difficult situations well today but I could not find anything related to that

On the other hand I found AMA always tried to answer my questions and were helpful on the phone. Someone who went with them and experienced a high water situation where the boat could not move for 1 and a half days was pleased with how they were treated and the solutions. I could not find anything bad written about AMA. The trips are almost identical although a bit less expensive with Scenic.

Thank you

First, all I know about personally is Viking. Our first of six trips on it followed the routing you mentioned. We have been extremely happy with them.

My *guess* is that the tours are fairly similar among companies.

One thing I would recommend doing is looking at pictures of the public rooms, especially the restaurant where you will be spending more time probably that you will be on tours, and the bedrooms. Look and see if these are inviting spaces for you, where you would like to be. Also look and see how people dress. You probably know what degree of casualness or formality you prefer.

Just a thought.

Hello all,

This is how I select cruises: quality/price. We are Canadians but purchased a river cruise on an Australian web site (Luxury Escapes). We purchased in August 2016 and we will cruise in Sept 2017 with Gate1Travel. The package was 2-nights in Budapest in a 5* hotel, 7-night cruise from Budapest to Regensburg, bus to Prague and 3-nights in Prague in a 5* hotel for $3,000 Australian dollar. I thought it was great quality-price! Our ship is Monarch Empress and was built in 2016. However, Gate1Travel is not all-inclusive: wine/beer only during supper, only a few guided tour included.

It was perfect for us as we are independent travellers and will be using Rick Steves' book for Budapest, Prague, Vienna, Cesky Krumlov and Munich. With the savings, we are flying to Vienna (prior to our package) for 6 days on our own, then we will take the train from Vienna to Budapest 3 days before the package starts (which means we will be in Budapest for 5-night), After the package, we will stay in Prague an extra 2 days, will take the bus to Cesky Krumlov for 2-nights and go to Munich for a week.

It all depends what you want: stay longer in Europe or enjoy a 2-week river cruise too-notch. Our lives are very simple so we are not very demanding. Gate1Travel was perfect for us as a mean of transportation. 12 days for $3,000 Australian dollar was an outstanding deal. We will be spending 5 weeks in Europe instead than 2 weeks...

Good luck with your choice.

The Canadians!

Flare3192 the action was against Scenic as the parent company the actual company that the cruise was with was Evergreen whose boats were contracted not owned by the cruise company. If you read the small print in full which I believe you have you will note that Scenic provides insurance without upfront costs to their clients to cover eventualities such as high or low water levels. I definatly do not work for Scenic but this matter was done to death some years ago. I hope you enjoy your cruise whomever you decide to travel with. CA