Use of a resort in Santorini for the day while in Santorini

Lyndihop

Has anyone used or have information about the use of a resort for a day while our ship is in Port? In particular Santorini??? Many times while in ports we've been in the resort will offer transfer pick up at the port to their facility with lunch sometimes. This seems like it would be a very relaxing day away from the crowds. We will be in Santorini next October.

Has anyone used or have information about the use of a resort for a day while our ship is in Port? In particular Santorini??? Many times while in ports we've been in the resort will offer transfer pick up at the port to their facility with lunch sometimes. This seems like it would be a very relaxing day away from the crowds. We will be in Santorini next October.

Have never seen anyone ask this question since Santorini is not a port where cruisers generally think about resorts. I will ask DD (who has vacationed on Santorini) but my instincts say it probably does not resist. And nobody can pick you up at the port (unless they meet you on a Donkey) since the only way up to Fira (which is right above the port) is via the cable car, donkey, or walking up (and being careful to avoid the donkey poo).

Anyone meeting folks would likely arrange to meet right outside the cable car building.

Hank

Thanks Hank. I so am looking forward to Greece. Crowds and all

I am not a fan of cruise line excursions, but for those in Santorini on a busy day (more then 1 cruise ship) or for a short port day, there is a huge advantage to booking a cruise line excursion. As JB explained, the cruise ships will make a short stop to tender off their own tours..which they take to a remote port that has direct road access. The excursion folks can then go from tender to tour bus without the delays caused at the main cruise ship tender area just below Fira (where there is no vehicle access).

When you go on your own, most take the cable car up to Fira...but that cable car only moves about 600 persons an hour. So there can be a long wait if two or more ships are tendering passengers at the same time. DW and I have always gone on our own in Santorini (sometimes renting a car) but we have managed to somehow never be there when the cable car lines were too long in the morning. In the afternoon when everyone is trying to get down to the port at the same time (even those on excursions must use this method to get back to their ship) there is often a long line (and wait) at the top cable car station. Cruise ships will often have to delay their departure until all their passengers can get down to the tender pier. Two hour delays (in departure) are not unusual.

Hank

P.S. Spoke to DD and she is not aware of any resorts with day passes.

Santorini is a very spectacular place, I think it would be a missed opportunity to travel from the US and not visit Oia and Fira. If you want a quite day then stay onboard. If you want to see and experience something that you won't find at home then get the ship's tender ashore, purchase a ticket for the boat to Oia with bus transfer to Fira. You'll have a fantastic day. You can either take the cable car or walk down the path to the ship's tender. One of the best ports of call in Europe.

Santorini is a very spectacular place, I think it would be a missed opportunity to travel from the US and not visit Oia and Fira. If you want a quite day then stay onboard. If you want to see and experience something that you won't find at home then get the ship's tender ashore, purchase a ticket for the boat to Oia with bus transfer to Fira. You'll have a fantastic day. You can either take the cable car or walk down the path to the ship's tender. One of the best ports of call in Europe.

Are the boats still operating? I thought I read somewhere recently that they are not. There will be 4 ships in port when we're there, and we're debating between taking an excursion to Oia via the cruise line or getting there on our own.

Sent from my iPad using Forums