Guided Tours Israel

Gonzo70

From the Haifa port Guided Tours Israel offers both a Jewish Oriented Route and a Christian Oriented Route. We only have one day in Haifa, so have to select one of these options. I am interested in hearing from anybody who did both of these tours which one was more scenic/interesting?

Thanks

Check your itinerary. It's possible you have more days in Israel. We are on the Silhouette October 10th and Celebrity cancelled Egypt and we now have four days in Israel, two in Ashdod and two in Haifa.

Just one day in Haifa, which is why I am trying to get feedback on the two options for a tour I am considering.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm not familiar with the tour itself, but these two tours can be very different. All depends if you're interested in Jewish history or Christian history. They don't go to the same exact places. Christian tour will probably go to Nazareth and northern area, more mountains, nice scenary. They probably both go to the Old City in Jerusalem, but there they'll go to different sections. So, mostly it's your interest.

Can't answer your question but was wondering if you'd consider a private tour guide who could take you wherever you wanted of both?

The benefit of a private tour is full control on the itinerary and full flexibility along it.

So, if you are interesting in of track places, or if you want a special itinerary, your best option is a private tour with a specially tailored itinerary according to your needs and agenda. But, and there is always a "but", it is more expensive.

Your option then, to lower your cost, is to find some partners to join you. from my personal experience, there is no different in the feeling of the "private tour" if you are on a 6-10 people group.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm interested in hearing from anyone who has worked with "Guided Tours Israel"

I have booked three days of tours with this company and have been reading some not so great reveiws about them. I had previously read only good things on tripadvisor but curious if anyone here has used them and if so was it a good or bad experience? Thanks

I'm interested in hearing from anyone who has worked with "Guided Tours Israel"

I have booked three days of tours with this company and have been reading some not so great reveiws about them. I had previously read only good things on tripadvisor but curious if anyone here has used them and if so was it a good or bad experience? Thanks

I second this question, as I've booked 3 days with them. I've heard many good things, but now I'm curious...

Thanks!

We had 2 days with GTI last week- the Northern Christian Tour from Haifa and the Dead Sea/Jerusalem tour from Ashdod. We had different guides both time, and they seemed to be self-employed tour guides getting jobs from GTI, but they also had conferred with each other, so when disembarking at Ashdod we knew exactly what car to look for etc.

We were very happy with both guides who were informative and thorough. The only observation that I would have is that we had several people on the roll call who were looking to get the private rates for the tour by getting GTI to put them in a group (the per person rates were identical for groups from 6-14 people). GTI tended to put together groups of 14 which some felt were a bit crowded, especially as by waiting on the roll call they could put a group of 6 together at the same price.

We had 2 days with GTI last week- the Northern Christian Tour from Haifa and the Dead Sea/Jerusalem tour from Ashdod. We had different guides both time, and they seemed to be self-employed tour guides getting jobs from GTI, but they also had conferred with each other, so when disembarking at Ashdod we knew exactly what car to look for etc.

We were very happy with both guides who were informative and thorough. The only observation that I would have is that we had several people on the roll call who were looking to get the private rates for the tour by getting GTI to put them in a group (the per person rates were identical for groups from 6-14 people). GTI tended to put together groups of 14 which some felt were a bit crowded, especially as by waiting on the roll call they could put a group of 6 together at the same price.

First...I LOVE your screen name!!

Thanks for the post. Can you advise how many were in your particular group? We have booked a tour for 2 so are interested in anyone who has information on those tours, but any info is welcome. Thanks!

First...I LOVE your screen name!!

Thanks for the post. Can you advise how many were in your particular group? We have booked a tour for 2 so are interested in anyone who has information on those tours, but any info is welcome. Thanks!

This is the best review i have seen on Guided Tours Israel

Great info

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=24723825&postcount=5

We were a group of 6 so fitted into the tour guides own car. Others from the roll call still paid $99 each but were travelling as a group of 14. The main difference seemed to be that our guides were with us pretty much all the time, whereas with a group of 14 it is harder to hear/keep up with the guide, and there is a lot more of "now you can take pictures and wander by yourselves for 15 minutes and meet up back at the coach" - ie a lot more waiting for others. Still a good experience I think, but as the price is the same I would suggest getting a group of 6 together before approaching GTI. We were very pleased with the service we got from both our guides, and certainly one of them (Moti) does do private tours so you can organise exactly what you want to see.

We were a group of 6 so fitted into the tour guides own car. Others from the roll call still paid $99 each but were travelling as a group of 14. The main difference seemed to be that our guides were with us pretty much all the time, whereas with a group of 14 it is harder to hear/keep up with the guide, and there is a lot more of "now you can take pictures and wander by yourselves for 15 minutes and meet up back at the coach" - ie a lot more waiting for others. Still a good experience I think, but as the price is the same I would suggest getting a group of 6 together before approaching GTI. We were very pleased with the service we got from both our guides, and certainly one of them (Moti) does do private tours so you can organise exactly what you want to see.

This is with Guided Tours Israel? Which tour? People are posting quotes of $600.00 to $700.00 for two people. It looks like the price is the same for 1-6 persons. I doubt we will find others to do the same tour we are interested in, fast paced with Kotel tunnels.

Also, are they licensed to go into the port? I understand we need this if we want to get the earliest start possible.

This is the best review i have seen on Guided Tours Israel

Great info

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=24723825&postcount=5

Yes, I saw this, thanks. It's later posts, actually relatively recent ones that were not as positive, but this board and a bit other research has left me more confident. Can't wait for our cruise!

This is with Guided Tours Israel? Which tour? People are posting quotes of $600.00 to $700.00 for two people. It looks like the price is the same for 1-6 persons. I doubt we will find others to do the same tour we are interested in, fast paced with Kotel tunnels.

Also, are they licensed to go into the port? I understand we need this if we want to get the earliest start possible.

We have 3 different tours booked with GTI and prices range from $590-$660.

This was booked with Guided Tours Israel. From Haifa we came off the ship and through the passenger terminal (up some external stairs)' and our guide was there with our name on his car. In Ashdod the guide was right by the ship. From Haifa we did the Christian Northern Israel Tour - Nazereth, Capernaum, Mount of Beattitudes, Baptismal site and then the Bahai temple gardens back in Haifa. This was $99 per person. From Ashdod we went to the Mount of Olives then onto the Dead Sea via St George's monastry and then spent the afternoon walking round the Old City in Jerusalem. This was $135 per person and in addition we paid some amount to enter a resort to use their changing facilities etc.

GTI seem to have fixed tours. You could try one of the guides directly to see if you ccan get a longer day, but do be aware that a) this is probably an intense stop on an intense trip, and b) you'll never see everything! We did look at seeing whether we could do Masada, Dead Sea and an afternoon inJerusalem, but the advice before and after was that that would have been too much to try in a day.

The guides in Israel all seem to be licensed.

By the way I disagree with your Conclusion about finding likeminded tourers. I was surprised at the number of people who had no idea as to what might be available at some of these stops, and I suspect that if you get a private guide, you'll have no problem filling your car on the cruise. I'd have loved to do the tunnels, but as travelling with kids had to be realistic about what we could hope for this time.

By the way I disagree with your Conclusion about finding likeminded tourers. I was surprised at the number of people who had no idea as to what might be available at some of these stops, and I suspect that if you get a private guide, you'll have no problem filling your car on the cruise. I'd have loved to do the tunnels, but as travelling with kids had to be realistic about what we could hope for this time.

From my own experience, I can tell you that I did have a lot of difficulty finding others to share a tour IF you want to personalize it and not just do a "highlights" or standard tour.

I always do a lot of advance research and had specific sites I wanted to see. My tours were not geared toward Christian sites or Jewish sites but rather toward those ancient sites I felt best represented a specific period.

I was not able to find ANYONE (despite months of trying to recruit) to share my tour from Haifa -- so yes, I paid for a private guide all to myself. And for Jerusalem, where we did quite a few basic highlights but also a few specific things to the Roman period -- I could only find one other couple to share.

The issue I have with the GTI "canned" group tours is that they try to cover too much. It seems everyone would rather spend 20-30 minutes at 15 different sites than see fewer things in more depth.....:cool:

We used GTI, Guided Tours of Israel for this port. We did not know until the night before arriving at the Ashdod port that the local port authorities will not let you walk on your own through the port or provide any transportation to and from the ship. Royal Caribbean provided transportation if you were booked on one of the ship tours, otherwise, you had to reserve and pay $20 per person for a round trip bus ride from the ship to the port entrance. I felt that Royal Caribbean should have let people know this prior to the night before the port. The first bus did not depart until 8:30 and the last run was almost 2 hours before you had to be back. We were supposed to meet our guide at 7:20. We were told that taxi’s might be available but they weren’t sure. Royal Caribbean called our tour guide and arrange for them to pick us up right outside the ship gangway, so it worked out just fine but we had to call them and arrange this at the last minute when we found out about the problem.

The private tour was for 4 persons and was for an all day, Christian emphasis Jerusalem only tour, including the Kottel Tunnel tour. The cost was $149 and a small amount more for the Tunnel Tour. It was wonderful. In addition to the Kottel Tunnel tour, we saw the Mount of Olives, Mount Zion, Garden of Gethsemane, Room of the Last Supper, several gates including the Jaffa Gate, Church of the Holy Sepulcher, Via Dolorosa, and all four quarters of the old town, Western Wall / Wailing Wall and much more. The tour lasted about 9-10 hours and we felt like we got our money’s worth and more. We were able to stay at each site as long as we wanted and saw everything we wanted and more. The guide was very good/sensitive at presenting the sites with a Christian slant even though she was not a Christian.

We felt slightly “guided” into several situations that slightly pressured us to buy things, but it wasn’t that bad, I was just surprised. For example, when we exited the tunnel tour our guide was waiting for us. She said that she had started talking to a shop owner while she waited for us and he wanted to show us something special and serve us some Turkish coffee. We ended up trapped in his shop while he tried to sell us some rugs. She made it sound like a chance meeting but I think she knew the guy and probably was related to him, LOL. :cool:

Lunch was at a place recommended by our guide (she obviously knew them) and ended up being about 28USD per person. There were no prices on the menu and we were surprised at the total amount for what was basically a sandwich/chips and dip. I guess we should have asked how much it was going to be or told our guide that we just wanted something inexpensive. Since we weren’t all that hungry and we didn’t eat it all it seemed like a waste of time and money. It was at an outdoor café in one of the old sections. Several plates were set out on the table and we ate family style. There were olives, lettuce, tomatoes, hummus, pita bread, some kind of fried round things and marinated chicken. Again, we felt slightly set up but maybe we didn’t communicate well. We should have told our guide that we just wanted a quick, inexpensive lunch/fast food type of option.

We also used GTI in Haifa and this guide was much better and gave much more historical background information.

We used GTI, Guided Tours of Israel for this port. We did not know until the night before arriving at the Ashdod port that the local port authorities will not let you walk on your own through the port or provide any transportation to and from the ship. Royal Caribbean provided transportation if you were booked on one of the ship tours, otherwise, you had to reserve and pay $20 per person for a round trip bus ride from the ship to the port entrance. I felt that Royal Caribbean should have let people know this prior to the night before the port. The first bus did not depart until 8:30 and the last run was almost 2 hours before you had to be back. We were supposed to meet our guide at 7:20. We were told that taxi’s might be available but they weren’t sure. Royal Caribbean called our tour guide and arrange for them to pick us up right outside the ship gangway, so it worked out just fine but we had to call them and arrange this at the last minute when we found out about the problem.

The private tour was for 4 persons and was for an all day, Christian emphasis Jerusalem only tour, including the Kottel Tunnel tour. The cost was $149 and a small amount more for the Tunnel Tour. It was wonderful. In addition to the Kottel Tunnel tour, we saw the Mount of Olives, Mount Zion, Garden of Gethsemane, Room of the Last Supper, several gates including the Jaffa Gate, Church of the Holy Sepulcher, Via Dolorosa, and all four quarters of the old town, Western Wall / Wailing Wall and much more. The tour lasted about 9-10 hours and we felt like we got our money’s worth and more. We were able to stay at each site as long as we wanted and saw everything we wanted and more. The guide was very good/sensitive at presenting the sites with a Christian slant even though she was not a Christian.

We felt slightly “guided” into several situations that slightly pressured us to buy things, but it wasn’t that bad, I was just surprised. For example, when we exited the tunnel tour our guide was waiting for us. She said that she had started talking to a shop owner while she waited for us and he wanted to show us something special and serve us some Turkish coffee. We ended up trapped in his shop while he tried to sell us some rugs. She made it sound like a chance meeting but I think she knew the guy and probably was related to him, LOL. :cool:

Lunch was at a place recommended by our guide (she obviously knew them) and ended up being about 28USD per person. There were no prices on the menu and we were surprised at the total amount for what was basically a sandwich/chips and dip. I guess we should have asked how much it was going to be or told our guide that we just wanted something inexpensive. Since we weren’t all that hungry and we didn’t eat it all it seemed like a waste of time and money. It was at an outdoor café in one of the old sections. Several plates were set out on the table and we ate family style. There were olives, lettuce, tomatoes, hummus, pita bread, some kind of fried round things and marinated chicken. Again, we felt slightly set up but maybe we didn’t communicate well. We should have told our guide that we just wanted a quick, inexpensive lunch/fast food type of option.

We also used GTI in Haifa and this guide was much better and gave much more historical background information.

Thanks for this and especially the info about the port transportation at Ashdod. I appreciate knowing this well ahead of time so that we can plan accordingly. Do you remember your guides name in Haifa? I would like to request him/her since you said this guide was much better.

• 2 weeks later...

I need some clarification on the Israeli ports. Because of security, taxis are not allowed in the pier area? If you haven't booked a RCCL tour it will cost $20.00 to get out of the pier? How about if you have a private tour arranged? Can they get close to the gangplank. The reason I ask, is I am taking my son, DIL, & 18 month old grandson on a cruise that has 2 consecutive days in Ashdod and 2 in Haifa. I walk with a cane, and want to conserve my energy for the sites, not getting out of the restricted pier area. I am also interested in targeted tours. Just the Tunnel in Jerusalem and Masada and the Dead Sea in the Negev, the next day. I have been to Israel twice and don't feel I need a guide for the Old City or Yad Vashem, or Ben Yehuda in the evening, which are the other places we want to see out of Ashdod. I'm just stuck on transportation to & from the dock and these specific tours. Money is (ofcourse) also a factor. Should we rely on taxis and rent headphones or are there guides available at the entrances when you arrive? I haven't even thought about the Haifa port yet. One thing at a time. Thanks in advance.

I need some clarification on the Israeli ports. Because of security, taxis are not allowed in the pier area? If you haven't booked a RCCL tour it will cost $20.00 to get out of the pier? How about if you have a private tour arranged? Can they get close to the gangplank. The reason I ask, is I am taking my son, DIL, & 18 month old grandson on a cruise that has 2 consecutive days in Ashdod and 2 in Haifa. I walk with a cane, and want to conserve my energy for the sites, not getting out of the restricted pier area. I am also interested in targeted tours. Just the Tunnel in Jerusalem and Masada and the Dead Sea in the Negev, the next day. I have been to Israel twice and don't feel I need a guide for the Old City or Yad Vashem, or Ben Yehuda in the evening, which are the other places we want to see out of Ashdod. I'm just stuck on transportation to & from the dock and these specific tours. Money is (ofcourse) also a factor. Should we rely on taxis and rent headphones or are there guides available at the entrances when you arrive? I haven't even thought about the Haifa port yet. One thing at a time. Thanks in advance.

The Ashdod port is very large and, as you noted, restricted. Walking from the pier to the port gates is not an option. There will be taxis on the dock when you disembark. You can take a private taxi to wherever you want.

There will not be guides just waiting around looking for work. If you want a private tour that can be arranged - however, you have to have it all set up in advance. Your guide and car will then be waiting for you on the dock. A private tour is more costly, but you will be able to design it for exactly what you want to see and do.

Getting to Jerusalem and then around the city is fairly easy and with the help of a good guide book and pre-planning you should be able to do it yourself.

Getting to the Dead Sea and Masada is a bit more complicated. You can, of course, take a private taxi so you will have a car and driver for the day. You can tour the Dead Sea and Masada on your own - the difficulty is the logistics and transportation. It will take about 2 1/2 hours from Ashdod to the Dead Sea (provided traffic cooperates) - obviously, the same number of hours back. This is a big chunk of time - do you want to just be driven there without anyone explaining what you are seeing on the way? Keep in mind that a taxi driver is just that - a driver - he is not a guide and is not legally permitted to guide. You may want to take the ship's tour to Masada and the Dead Sea.

Another option is to check out the "roll call" pages for your cruise to see if there are other passengers who want to share a private tour with you.

Thank you so much. My head is just spinning. I have been to Masada & the Dead Sea, but both times I was driven. First time, my DH drove, 2nd X I drove on a girls trip. I just don't want to drive in Jerusalem proper (ever again)! Scary just trying to change lanes! I would like a tour to Masada, and a ride to the Dead Sea and back to the ship. We will probably spend the nite before Masada in a Jerusalem hotel, so are there group tours we can sign up for at the hotel, that will probably be much cheaper then the ship tour? And how easy is it to find a taxi at the Dead Sea to drive us all the way back to Ashdod? I hate to use the ship, and I hate to rent a car, and I also want a Masada guide, but basically I'm watching my money, so want to do it the easiest and most informative, but economical way, for the money. Thanks again in advance for any help you can offer.

I can certainly understand your not wanting to drive in Jerusalem - it is indeed very challenging.

There are day tours that you can book once you are here, the hotel can help you. They are probably not much more economical than the ship's tours - additionally, they don't often include meals while the ship's tours do.

You can get to Masada on your own and use their audio guide to tour. It is not that easy to find a taxi at the Dead Sea - you will have to call for one. Keep in mind that there is only taxi company whose cabs and drivers can enter the port as they are already pre-cleared. Any other taxi will drop you off at the port gates.

• 2 weeks later...

We just came home from a trip including Haifa and Ashdod. First and foremost Guided Tours Israel was the best tour I have ever had anywhere. I was part of a group of 6 from our CC board. This is a must and a place to start. $99 pp for Haifa and $119 pp for Jerusalem. We were out from 8 am until 8:30 pm. We were NOT rushed and we got to see everything we wanted to see. From Haifa we went all the way up along the Jordan border to the Golan Heights. Where is this on most tours???? Joe was our guide and he would stop and pull over if something was important to that area to know. He was very informative but it was done in an easy way so it was loads of fun. We went many places he suggested and places we decided we wanted to see at the time. We opted for a quick lunch of falafals the first day as not to take time away from sightseeing. There was no problem what so ever and cost us about $6.00 each. With a drink!

We did do the Jewish tour both days. From Ashdod where our driver was waiting for us in the parking lot along with the cruise ship buses (this was as easy as can be). GTI is licensed with the government and have no problem picking you up right there. The port itself provided a challenge to drive out of though. We did Yad Vashem in the morning as it was more important to see this for the 6 of us then to float in the Dead Sea on this trip. We spent about 2 1/2 hours there and just touched the surface. We went up to the mountain and viewed Jersusalem from that vantage point. Then we went into the old city. Toured after an informal lunch at a restaurant a friend of mine suggested who lives there. Went to both the Arab and Jewish markets. Went to the Wall as the last stop in Jerusalem at the end of the day. This is one moving experience and I urge everyone not to miss it. No matter of religion, this is the nerve center of the old city.

Sorry to be so long winded but if you can get at least 2 other people with you, you will not be paying 500 or 600. Just remember this is for a whole day trip. Best bet is to get 6 people and write to Alon at GTI and work out a trip with him. Very helpful and certainly got our money worth and then some.

Archived