RCL strict on age separation for Kids Activities?

HandC4Me

We are sailing on the Allure in a month with our two sons, and some friends. Our youngest is 11, so I know that puts him in the Voyager 9 - 11 category, and our older son is 14 - a "Navigator". Our friends have one daughter age 12 and a 15 year old son.

From what I've read, it seems that the 12, 14 and 15 year olds will get to do activities and hang out together, but we of course are wondering if this means our 11 year old will be shut out.

My question is: How closely do they check the ages on wristbands/Sea Pass cards? (He's very tall for 11, easily looks 13 or older) Would it be possible for him to join in with the older teen activities? It will be mid-March Spring Break time, with probably lots of kids on board - don't know if that means RCL will be more "strict" on enforcing age ranges?

Thanks so much in advance for any input!

~Leslie

One thing to keep in mind ... while your son would like to be with the older kids, that does not mean that the 15 year olds (other then the one you are travelling with) want to have an 11 year old hanging out with them - no matter how tall he is! They are in high school, and your son is barely out of elementary school. I am sure that there will be lots of activities your group of kids can do together outside the age constraints of the kids club.

They have the names and ages of the kids from checkin. They know who belongs where. Sometimes they may allow a movement between groups in Adventure Ocean. But not between Adventure Ocean and the teens clubs.

There are plenty of places for kids to hang out other than the teens clubs. I'm sure the kids will find lots of things to do together on Allure.

To the OP- when you board, the kids 11 and under get wrist bands which they are required to wear regardless of whether or not they are participating in the youth program. These wrist bands indicated each child's muster station in the event of an emergency. So they do know if the child is 11 or under. Kids 12 and older don't wear the wrist bands. There is no registration with the teen program and kids can come and go as they please.

An 11 year old is not going to feel comfortable in the teen program. My son is 12 and had his first taste of the teen program on our last cruise on Serenade of the Seas. He made friends with a couple kids there and liked them but I think the older teens sort of took over in the evening and my son said by 10PM it was all older (15 and up) teens. So I think my son would have been better off in the 9-11 age group.

Sometimes they will allow the older kids (like the 12 year old traveling with you) to move down to the 9-11 year old group. It depends on whether or not they have room for them in that group. This is something to consider if the 12 year old would be happier hanging out with the 11 year old. You just need to ask when you board.

I think my son may ask to go back to the 9-11 group on our upcoming cruise (he is 12). I know there won't be many kids on our next cruise and I am hoping they allow him the flexibility. I have been told that the 12 year olds often do not like the teen program.

We just got off the Liberty of the Seas and I would say they are very strict about keeping with the ages. While I was signing DS in on the 1st day, there was another parent in there arguing with the staff as she had 2 boys, 1 turning 6 in a couple of months. The staff was adament the 5 years needs to stay with the 3-5 year olds and her other son (not sure of the age) would be with the Explorers (6-8 year olds).

This was at a non school vacation time.

I have been told on almost every cruise line that they will move a child down to a lower age group but they usually will not move a child up- unless they combine age groups because there aren't enough kids in a certain age group.

For example- we did a Transatlantic cruise and they did have the 3-5 year olds with the 6-8 year olds.

Thanks so much for the replies and the information. I should make it clear that I really wasn't thinking of a scenario where he (my 11 yr old) would be hanging out with other 15 yr olds -- he wouldn't have ANY interest in ever setting foot in a teen club or anything like that, trust me! LOL

I was wondering more about a case like, if the 12 - 14 yr olds were doing an activity (say an afternoon scavenger hunt or something) could he go along with his brother for that one activity. But it sounds like that couldn't happen, which is fine. Having that knowledge ahead of time just helps us prepare him (all the kids, really) for what to expect.

I appreciate all the helpful comments about kids who have enjoyed the 9 - 11 group activities. I'm sure he will as well!

Thanks again!

Hi, when my daughter was 12 she was with the 12-17 year olds, although she made friends she felt very out of place with that age group and hardly webt in. They say they separate 12-14s and 15-17s but when I asked my daughter they don't at all. So he'd be with the 17 year olds too!

She's now 15, and loves the teen group. She knew of a few people being moved up, but she said they didn't always understand their humor and interests and they didn't come back much after the first two days as they felt out of place.

Her friend in the teen club who was also 15 had her sister glued to her! She was supposed to be in the younger group but was moved up to her sister. She hated having to stay with the younger sister all the time!

But, although you will be approached by the staff if you look too old or too young, it's not too strict. An 18 year old snuck into Fuel Disco and wasn't caught until they saw him with a beer!

I'm sure he should get away with doing the day time activites if he goes in like he's meant to be there talking with his family and friends!

Archived