LIVE From the Caribbean Princess - New Panama Canal - Dec 10, 2017

CanadianBurger

Thanks Lou! Fascinating stuff!

We knew our Headwaiter from a previous cruise. I asked (pleaded) nicely, and he asked the chef. Next night: Voila! Parmesan Basket!

DH requested (didn't have to beg;)) on one of our cruises shortly after it was being poster here that the basket is gone.:eek:

He got his basket...it didn't look as nice as they used to look, but ask and you shall receive.

Well, as dinner started, we began to leave the dock. Then the stern thrusters kicked into high gear and the whole dining room started to shake. About 30 seconds later the Captain came on the PA and said the winds were too strong for us to leave. We’re trying to get back to the the dock to tie up. The stern thrusters must be at full throttle. The shaking is getting worse. I assume it’s because the shallow rocks to starboard are too much of a hazard to leave.

I took this shot on the way in this morning.

0b7326c02f75bcb76853d4342a422734.jpg

Sent from my iPhone 8+ using Forums

The modern cruise ships are tall particularly in comparison to their depth (~30 feet) and flat sided. They are much like a sail that cannot be hauled in or turned. Therefore a strong wind against one side of the ship will pin the ship to the pier making their bow and stern thrusters inadequate The only solutions is to either wait for the wind to shift directions or die down or to use tug boats to assist the ship. Assuming that port does have tug boats available, from the picture they would not be able to position themselves along the ship to do any good. We have had several cruises where the captain announced that we were skipping the port due to the wind and not being able to leave port. The last time was in Key West. .

Went to the Piano Man production show after dinner. The music was great, toe-tapping along to the favorites everyone knows. The singing was good, and the dancers were okay. The most disappointing thing was the show’s length, only 33 minutes.

After the production show, back to Crooners and the great music that Tommy McPhee performs on vocals and piano. A group of us ended up chatting and outlasting the bartenders!

Tomorrow’s Patter:

3672649e0ebcd6382fd391450f61c9ae.jpg

113549b2624233aab353a610afe9bd54.jpg

cd9993d1781484073db746c1d6f4db3e.jpg

17f642f4f780cc01518dda6bfa93c12f.jpg

Sent from my iPhone 8+ using Forums