St. George to beaches and shopping

Bryant1

It will be our first time to Bermuda. We are on the Majesty May 24-31. We will dock in St. George. We thought our first day we would try to explore ourselves and go to Front Street for shopping, maybe lunch, and some other site seeing. The 2nd day, we would like to go the beach, either elbow beach or horseshoe bay. Any suggestions on how to get to these places the quickest? We don't mind walking, but not all day. My fiance still wants to do a scooter but I'm a little wary from all the postings about accidents.

Buy a transportation pass which allows you to use the buses and the water ferries as much as you want. Much safer than the scooters and much cheaper (and less aggravating) than the taxis. You can find the routes by simply looking around on this thread.

It will be our first time to Bermuda. We are on the Majesty May 24-31. We will dock in St. George. We thought our first day we would try to explore ourselves and go to Front Street for shopping, maybe lunch, and some other site seeing. The 2nd day, we would like to go the beach, either elbow beach or horseshoe bay. Any suggestions on how to get to these places the quickest? We don't mind walking, but not all day. My fiance still wants to do a scooter but I'm a little wary from all the postings about accidents.

Front Street is in Hamilton.

Horseshoe bay is one of the south Shore beaches. The Beaches you are closest to are Fort St Catherine's Beach and Tobacco bay. These two are about 3/4 of a mile from where the ship docks.

There is some but not much shopping in St George. The shopping in Bermuda in general is not great by any means.

Thanks for the information. We saw some pics online for elbow beach and horseshoe bay and thought they were beautiful and we would try them. There are several posts about how crowded Tobacco Bay is when the ships are in.

We thought walking along Front street and looking at shops would be fun, but maybe a waste of time. Any suggestions on night life, maybe music, dance and cocktails?

Thanks,

April

The day you arrive is May 26--BIG holiday in Bermuda--do not plan on shopping on Front St. that day--I imagine most shops will be closed! You could still take the mini-bus to Tobacco Bay or regular buses to any of the South Shore beaches--or maybe the ferry (ferry to Hamilton and then bus to South Shore), but check the schedules first.

If your fiance is really stuck on taking the scooters--rent in either St. Georges or take the bus to Grotto Bay and rent there. The reason I suggest this is traffic--much less in these areas than in Hamilton. If you are not keen on riding, rent a double, they are honda scooters and plenty comfy for two. Take the time to ride around the quiet roads of St. Georges before you venture further. If you like, you can take the ferry to Hamilton with the scooter and then ride to the South Shore.

It is fairly easy to get around Bermuda. From St. Georges--one road towards Hamilton. Just past Swizzle Inn, you make a left for South Shore Road, and stay straight for North Shore Road. Just past the Aquarium, there is another road--Middle Road!! For the beaches, my pick would be South Shore Road. A little more windy around Harrington Sound, but far less traveled, a lot less traffic and its fairly direct!! If you decide on bikes, take your time, stay left and be sure you understand the rules of the roundabouts (traffic in it has right of way).

I read on here that St. Catherine's is closed & being worked on, which means more folks at Tobacco Bay. Though I love it myself, I would recommend anything on the South Shore--starting with John Smith's Bay which is the closest to St. George's. The rest are further up and if you are riding the scooters, take some time.

Shopping used to be ideal in Bermuda--china, crystal, wool from Scotland, but the "club" stores offer crystal and china at a discount which means no more "deals" coming from Bermuda. Also, used to be all the shops in Hamilton had smaller stores in St. George's--all the same stuff and if you were looking for something special they'd have it sent from the bigger store! Most of those stores are out of business today!!

Harbour Nights are lovely. Check on the ship--they used to do it in St. George's as well, not sure if they still do. Good chance to buy local arts and crafts, nice to walk around with no traffic, very relaxing.

St. George's doesn't have much night life!! You could stop for a drink in the White Horse Tavern, and sit outside. There is another place that looks out at the water, but I cannot remember the name!!

Have fun!!

Check the ferry schedule--quickest way between Hamilton and St. George's--if you are looking for nightlife--Hamilton is where it is. If the ferry is running you could stop in and have a drink somewhere.

I'm on Majesty this month and we don't arrive until 1 p.m. Then the ship will have to clear, the people with booked excursions getting off first, so if you are going to eat lunch, it would be after 2 more than likely. Unless, of course ,you are coming from somewhere other than Charleston and your arrival time is different from mine. We are planning to eat lunch on the ship and then venture forth into St George.

1. didn't the White Horse tavern close? I thought its being renovated.

2. There will be more night life on the ship...and the drinks will probably be less on the ship.

3. I didn't think the beach at St Catherines was closed just the fort and its

museum. but can someone in Bermuda confirm this.

4. Tobacco bay will be crowded but then again so will Horseshoe Bay although horse shoe is much bigger and can absorb it better.

3. I didn't think the beach at St Catherines was closed just the fort and its

museum. but can someone in Bermuda confirm this.

bdaguy confirmed that Fort St. Catherine will be closed but St. Catherine's beach is unaffected.

Archived