Beach barbecues and caviar in the surf

margbem

We board the Odyssey on 3rd February and have booked a 14 night cruise around the Caribbean. This could have been booked as 2 seven nighters if we had wanted and is still being offered as such.

Bit beside the point, really but my question is: is it possible because of the above that we might be having two beach barbecues? Our first stop is Saline Bay, Mayreau in the first week where nothing in the way of excursions is offered, basically because it looks like there is nothing there really! In our second week we call at Carambola Beach, St Kitts, which I know has been the venue for the barbecue in the past. Any thoughts or knowledge from people who have done this cruise? Thanks.

Yes very likely you will have two. We had two scheduled on a 14 day Caribbean cruise a few years ago - unfortunately after they spent all morning setting one of them up on shore they had to cancel due to increasingly choppy seas and tendering concerns. But the Captain even made that up to us by arranging to takeover a beach in St. Lucia a few days later and brought the “toys” (banana boat etc. ) ashore for a fun day.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Yes very likely you will have two. We had two scheduled on a 14 day Caribbean cruise a few years ago - unfortunately after they spent all morning setting one of them up on shore they had to cancel due to increasingly choppy seas and tendering concerns. But the Captain even made that up to us by arranging to takeover a beach in St. Lucia a few days later and brought the “toys” (banana boat etc. ) ashore for a fun day.

Thanks Chairsin. Enjoy your cruise too!

• 1 month later...

I've done the beach barbecue on Mayreau (they didn't do Caviar in the Surf that day, saved it for later in the cruise) and Caviar in the Surf with a wonderful barbecue at Carambola beach. This was not on the same cruise though, two different cruises. I much preferred the Carambola beach day to Mayreau but personal preferences aside, it's a great day. Have fun!

We had the beach barbecues on Mayreau, then on Carambola beach. We liked the Mayreau one best, but there was very little shade and no beach umbrellas. We pulled our chairs under a tree to find shade. Some people took the large Seabourn umbrellas ashore to use as parasols. The sea was choppy so the caviar in the surf was very amusing to watch but the staff managed for a while then brought it ashore! We didn't go anywhere else on Mayreau as it was a late start due to the sea. The captain had to drop and raise anchor three times to find the safest place for tendering so everything was late starting.

The Carambola one was easier for the staff and the chairs had parasols. Be aware that any excursions might preclude being able to attend the barbecue. Also, one of the excursions was scheduled for the morning (St Kitts scenic railway) then changed to 1pm so those people missed the barbecue too. We were glad we took our umbrellas ashore that day as they weren't needed for the sun but sure were for a couple of really heavy rain showers. Both days were great fun and we really appreciated the hard work by all the staff.

On Odyssey last month, great BBQ at Carambola Beach! Since there were so many lobsters being grilled, my DH did not feel bad in securing three for himself! It was a lovely spread of different food items, especially for those not eating fish. The beach itself is beautiful for swimming. Enjoy your day.

Ignore anyone who downgrades it. They must have lost the art of having fun.

I could not agree more. It is truly a unique event and very unlike the "beach day" you will have on ANY other cruise line.

The staff loves it too... they get a chance for sun and enjoyment on the beach. One told me "its hard work getting this set up, but its still my favorite day because I get paid to enjoy the beach and water!"

• 3 weeks later...
We had the beach barbecues on Mayreau, then on Carambola beach. We liked the Mayreau one best, but there was very little shade and no beach umbrellas. We pulled our chairs under a tree to find shade. Some people took the large Seabourn umbrellas ashore to use as parasols. The sea was choppy so the caviar in the surf was very amusing to watch but the staff managed for a while then brought it ashore! We didn't go anywhere else on Mayreau as it was a late start due to the sea. The captain had to drop and raise anchor three times to find the safest place for tendering so everything was late starting.

The Carambola one was easier for the staff and the chairs had parasols. Be aware that any excursions might preclude being able to attend the barbecue. Also, one of the excursions was scheduled for the morning (St Kitts scenic railway) then changed to 1pm so those people missed the barbecue too. We were glad we took our umbrellas ashore that day as they weren't needed for the sun but sure were for a couple of really heavy rain showers. Both days were great fun and we really appreciated the hard work by all the staff.

Our itinerary doesn’t offer any excursions for this port.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The barbecue isn’t an excursion. It’s an included event.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

And not to be missed! I also told one of the waiters how much we appreciated the hard work that goes into the beach barbecue and he said that meant a lot to them.