Edge Dining Reveal

TommyD3

Question: if there are four complimentary restaurants, how does that work? I know it says you can book early/late and open seating. But, it appears that each restaurant will have special items peculiar to each. Does one rotate through the rooms? Is this a version of Dynamic Dining?

Wow, am impressed they stopped falsely making reference to Kobe beef!

Will be nice to have some new dining venues to check out. The decor looks very attractive in the artist renditions for a lot of the restaurants - literally and figuratively.

The restaurants look wonderful but it says they will have the same menu as the rest of the fleet. We just spent 14 days on the Eclipse where we could only eat 3 times in MDR, the food was that bad. So if the menu is the same and the quality is the same, then we will pass.

Of course I am sure it will be different for suites, aquaclass and up. Please note, there is a real distinction.

Thank you for posting this!

My question, is there someone to contact about the 'potential' menu and its' offerings, does anyone know perchance?

I Am not on-board Edge for another year or so, so it can possibly wait, then again would like to get a head start on it all...

bon voyage

Edited by Bo1953

It would have been nice if they did what Disney has been doing for years. I believe they have 3 MDRs and you and your servers rotate nightly into a different restaurant with a different menu. I do have to say, this does look interesting having a smaller MDR, perhaps with this they will get back to the service and quality they had 20 years ago.

Also curious about whether there are particular restaurants for fixed seating or anytime seating or is everything now just anytime seating.

It would have been nice if they did what Disney has been doing for years. I believe they have 3 MDRs and you and your servers rotate nightly into a different restaurant with a different menu. I do have to say, this does look interesting having a smaller MDR, perhaps with this they will get back to the service and quality they had 20 years ago.

Also curious about whether there are particular restaurants for fixed seating or anytime seating or is everything now just anytime seating.

Celebrity Edge will have not one, but four great main restaurants. Each restaurant will include the same signature dishes offered today across the fleet, which change nightly, as our guests have grown to expect. Plus, each restaurant will also offer a special selection of dishes to showcase each restaurant’s regional concept. Celebrity Edge will continue to allow guests to book traditional early and late seating as well as open seating in all four restaurants. More menu selections, more dining times, and more flexibility than ever before.

It looks like the same concept that they have on some RCCL ships. We were on the Anthem and there were 4 dining rooms each with a different theme.

Those in traditional dining were divided into 4 groups for each dining time. The groups would rotate thru the dining rooms keeping the same table number and I think servers. Problem was that you didn’t have a choice on what dining venues you wanted. On a 7 day cruise you would be in 3 twice and one only once.

One dining room required a formal dress at all times and men had to wear a coat.

We chose select dining so we could choose when and where we wanted. That is where the problem started. Reservations were open 6 months ahead of time. On that ship for many shows you also had to make a reservation. Problem was that the schedule wasn’t released until 90 days out. I made my reservations on line and some choice times were already taken or certain restaurants. A few days later I looked up the reservations to look at them again. To my surprise they were all gone. I called RCCL and it was confirmed that none of my reservations were saved. Now there weren’t many good times left so we had to settle for some times we didn’t want.

It gets better. On the first night we had 5:30 dining. We are in line at 5:20 and the couple in front of us didn’t have reservations. The host looked up their cabin number and told them that they had reservations at 8:30 in a different dining room. They got very hostile and said that they wanted to eat now and at this dining room. There was quite a turmoil and they ended up getting a table. We were now attended to . The Hostess told us to wait along the wall. We stood there for 10 minutes and nothing. I went to her and asked when we would be seated and she said that all are taken. I mentioned the couple ahead of us and she said that she had to accommodate them to keep the passengers appt and not upset. I looked at her and asked “what about us”.

She said that she would try to accomdate us ASAP. It was 30 minutes later.

Now the next night was a different restuarant different time. We were seated at a table and this couple came up to us and said that we were at their table and wanted it. This couple was causing a stir and Management came over. That couple said that they had that table the night before and we were in it and wanted it. Management tried to explain to them that there were now scheduled in a different restaurant. They kept demanding the table and management asked us to move to a different one.

Now we are really upset and the manager said that things are messed up and that it will be changing for the next cruise. I told him that I didn’t care because we are cruising now and not on the next one. We never received any kind of apology or compensation for our situations.

The other nights were a little better with no problems.

With that experience on the Anthem I can’t image the cluster muster that Celebrity will have considering their Tech section.

Happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅

Edited by miched

Question: if there are four complimentary restaurants, how does that work? I know it says you can book early/late and open seating. But, it appears that each restaurant will have special items peculiar to each. Does one rotate through the rooms? Is this a version of Dynamic Dining?

See my thread under Edge...

It looks like the same concept that they have on some RCCL ships. We were on the Anthem and there were 4 dining rooms each with a different theme.

Those in traditional dining were divided into 4 groups for each dining time. The groups would rotate thru the dining rooms keeping the same table number and I think servers. Problem was that you didn’t have a choice on what dining venues you wanted. On a 7 day cruise you would be in 3 twice and one only once.

One dining room required a formal dress at all times and men had to wear a coat.

We chose select dining so we could choose when and where we wanted. That is where the problem started. Reservations were open 6 months ahead of time. On that ship for many shows you also had to make a reservation. Problem was that the schedule wasn’t released until 90 days out. I made my reservations on line and some choice times were already taken or certain restaurants. A few days later I looked up the reservations to look at them again. To my surprise they were all gone. I called RCCL and it was confirmed that none of my reservations were saved. Now there weren’t many good times left so we had to settle for some times we didn’t want.

It gets better. On the first night we had 5:30 dining. We are in line at 5:20 and the couple in front of us didn’t have reservations. The host looked up their cabin number and told them that they had reservations at 8:30 in a different dining room. They got very hostile and said that they wanted to eat now and at this dining room. There was quite a turmoil and they ended up getting a table. We were now attended to . The Hostess told us to wait along the wall. We stood there for 10 minutes and nothing. I went to her and asked when we would be seated and she said that all are taken. I mentioned the couple ahead of us and she said that she had to accommodate them to keep the passengers appt and not upset. I looked at her and asked “what about us”.

Now the next night was a different restuarant different time. We were seated at a table and this couple came up to us and said that we were at their table and wanted it. This couple was causing a stir and Management came over. That couple said that they had that table the night before and we were in it and wanted it. Management tried to explain to them that there were now scheduled in a different restaurant. They kept demanding the table and management asked us to move to a different one.

Now we are really upset and the manager said that things are messed up and that it will be changing for the next cruise. I told him that I didn’t care because we are cruising now and not on the next one. We never received any kind of apology or compensation for our situations.

With that experience on the Anthem I can’t image the cluster muster that Celebrity will have considering their Tech section.

Happy cruising [emoji305][emoji568][emoji631][emoji560]

Wow! All I can say is WOW! I am so sorry that you were treated this way!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅

That is a disgrace ! I would have refused to move to another table and would have taken it up with the Hotel Director. At the very least you should have been offered a complimentary meal in a speciality restaurant.

It looks like the same concept that they have on some RCCL ships. We were on the ----------------------------

Happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅

Sorry you had this issue on RCI, I would hope that X will handle the situation very differently, overall, even though we, too, have witnessed a few passengers throw a fit over dining times or tables with or without reservations...

Once I stepped up to the plate to help a Hostess who was being berated without cause... the passenger started to get sassy with me and with one look it was a dare to continue or else both of us would be taken off the ship at the next port.

Needless to say, the Hostess won and pride retained. We were warmly welcomed by staff and passengers each night after that...

We do not sail to encounter bullies like this..

bon voyage

It appears they are bringing the Quantum class dining mess over to Celebrity. If Royal has not been able to figure out to make this process work over the last few years how is Celebrity going to succeed?

It pretty much works now... though they achieved that by basically just making it the MDR. Just split into 4 rooms, instead of 1.

I'm not sure about rotating as people might have a preference for one particular restaurant but I like the idea of four different options. On longer cruises a change of scenery is a good thing in my book.

I was thinking about cancelling our january trip because the itinerary is a bit dull, but after watching the reveal I thought about adding a week as seven days just doesn't seem long enough to experience the whole ship.

There's a lot to like what we've just seen. The potential is massive so I'm also hoping they deliver!