castles in Scotland

If you had to do one castle in Scotland on the BI cruise which would you do and why? We are at Intergoten, Greenock and Edinburgh. We are not big castle people but possibly would be interested in a really great castle. Like we enjoyed Versailles. Any main castle in Scotland that is a don't miss? Seems like alot of people like Stirling.

We just don't like going to castles where all you see is rooms and the tour guys talk about history, etc.. I like that but my travel companions don't so.

Would anyone say any of the castles are on the ordinary of Versailles or the famous castle in Bavaria Germany (King Ludwig one)? Or do the Scottish castles not compare to those? I always feel like after those castles all others are disappointments and look very similar but would be interested to hear of any thoughts on any ones in Scotland that are truly awesome.

both Edinburgh and Stirling castles are lovely (I visited both last weekend) but can't compare to Versailles and Neuschwanstein

I enjoyed Stirling more as they had interesting characters in a few rooms to explain and answer questions. they also had fun interactive displays for kids that I enjoyed.

the views are stunning and its less crowded than Edinburgh castle plus was part of our highlands/loch tour so great add on to understand Scotland Royal history that happened at Stirling before James of Scotland left to become King of England. the history is fascinating in my opinion

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Would anyone say any of the castles are on the ordinary of Versailles or the famous castle in Bavaria Germany (King Ludwig one)? Or do the Scottish castles not compare to those? I always feel like after those castles all others are disappointments and look very similar but would be interested to hear of any thoughts on any ones in Scotland that are truly awesome.

Both Edinburgh and Stirling castles are absolutely fabulous and steeped in history. I love Edinburgh Castle because, in addition to the castle, there is so much to see on the Royal Mile and, I must admit, I love the city itself. There is also the wonderful area around Princes Street in the city. But, Stirling is also fabulous and absolutely drips with Scottish history.

You are not comparing apples to apples when you mention Versailles and Neuschwanstein Castle (which is what I assume when you mention King Ludwig). These palaces are nothing like the castles of Edinburgh or Stirling. Versailles and Neuschwanstein are both palaces and Edinburgh and Stirling are castles (Neuschwanstein, although called a castle, is really a nineteenth-century Romanesque Revival palace.)

I think that the main difference between a palace and castle is found in where they lie on the defensive/administrative scale.

A castle is a large building or group of buildings fortified against attack with thick walls, battlements, towers, and in many cases a moat.

A Palace is the residence of a sovereign, archbishop, bishop, or other important person and is usually quite sumptuous with many decorative features. A palace is often host to administrative functions.

I see the castle as a mix between a fortress and palace in that it is both the local administrative center of the feudal world, a prestigious home for its owner and a defensive structure ensuring command of the surrounding countryside. Castles are usually much older and steeped in an older history than their more sumptuous cousins, the palace.

Google both Stirling and Edinburgh to get an idea of which may be of more interest to you.

You seem to be saying you prefer later royal palaces to historic castles. So you should perhaps consider Holyrood Palace, but naturally it can't compare to Versailles or Neuschwanstein.

If you are interested in a castle instead, then Stirling over Edinburgh.

ETA: Just seen your other thread on this topic....

I just got back from a one week trip in the Highlands, and my favorite castle by far was Dunrobin Castle. Its breathtakingly beautiful. Full of family portraits and furnishing. Tour is self guided so no tour guides droning on and on. Lovely gardens, tea room & shop and falconry demonstration.

Given your likes I would suggest Dunrobin as well. Hire a car/book a private tour from Invergordon and head North to Golspie you could also visit Dornoch on the return if you have time. Dornoch is a nice wee village were you can buy some nice souvenirs.

Then you can explore the rest of Edinburgh on your stop.

• 4 months later...