Amex ? UK

smm0218

I think I read somewhere that AMEX is not as widely accepted in the UK. Am I misremembering what I read?

I need to get a new CC that does not have Foreign Transaction Fees and since I'm flying Delta thought I would try their card and earn some points. However if it is going to be a hassle to use when I get there I'll look at a different option.

Thanks

Sandi

I would have two with you because if something goes wrong (fraud) you need a fall back plan.

We have had no problem using our Amex Card in the Europe despite what you read.

How about getting a Capital One Card (no international fee) as a fall back.

Keith

Thanks, Keith. I was trying to avoid getting two cards but that's probably a good idea, one mine, one for DH. With each of us having a card from the other.

I knew I would want 2 cards to take I just hadn't though far enough ahead to think about the fact that I wanted them both to be no transaction fee cards.

Since I'm asking do debit cards generate a transaction fee or does that also depend on the card? Trying to figure out a way to get cash once we are there without having to carry a lot of cash (£a or $s) with us. We get a decent discount for paying cash for lodgings but that, of course, requires I have cash.

I think I read somewhere that AMEX is not as widely accepted in the UK. Am I misremembering what I read?

You are correct.

I live in the UK and use both Amex cards and Visa/MasterCard.

99% of large retailers take Amex, all hotel chains, the majority of chain restaurants, and lots of better quality restaurants in major cities.

Although acceptance of Amex at smaller retailers/hotels/restaurants is better than it used to be you just can't rely on it.

Thanks, Keith. I was trying to avoid getting two cards but that's probably a good idea, one mine, one for DH. With each of us having a card from the other.

I knew I would want 2 cards to take I just hadn't though far enough ahead to think about the fact that I wanted them both to be no transaction fee cards.

Since I'm asking do debit cards generate a transaction fee or does that also depend on the card? Trying to figure out a way to get cash once we are there without having to carry a lot of cash (£a or $s) with us. We get a decent discount for paying cash for lodgings but that, of course, requires I have cash.

I would get the two.

Now, I did a test the last time we were in the UK.

I used my Amex as much as I could even though I have a few other go to cards just to test out the theory that it is not widely accepted.

Well, it was taken in most places including a small restaurant in Rome.

But I still would have a couple of cards.

Keith

My bank gave me an Amex and a Visa card. I use Amex whenever I can because it gets me more points. I find that while most places will accept them, many won't. For example, I can use it to buy a Big Mac, but not a KFC.

I also find that I can't often use it in pubs, although it may be different in London. As said above - use it where you can, but have a Visa or Mastercard in reserve.

I live in the UK and have an AmEx card, as well as a Mastercard and a Visa card. I have to say that for day to day shopping and eating , the Amex is virtually useless. The major retailers [sainsbury, Tesco etc.] won't accept it, and neither will any of the local pubs and restaurants, or petrol [gas] stations

Admittedly, I do not live in Central London, where the acceptance will probably be greater due to the number of tourists, but I would strongly recommend bringing a non AmEx 'back-up' card in case of acceptance issues

I live in the UK and have an AmEx card, as well as a Mastercard and a Visa card. I have to say that for day to day shopping and eating , the Amex is virtually useless. The major retailers [sainsbury, Tesco etc.] won't accept it, and neither will any of the local pubs and restaurants, or petrol [gas] stations

Admittedly, I do not live in Central London, where the acceptance will probably be greater due to the number of tourists, but I would strongly recommend bringing a non AmEx 'back-up' card in case of acceptance issues

I live in the middle of the Cotswolds and my local supermarkets and petrol stations all take my AmEx. But I always have a Visa or MasterCard, too [emoji846]

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Cotswold Eagle, thank you for that. I completely understand why people would rather not take AMEX but I'm glad it is being more widely accepted. It will also be a contactless card so we should be able to set it up to use as Oyster Card if that's the route we decide to take and will just make things easier.

I live in the middle of the Cotswolds and my local supermarkets and petrol stations all take my AmEx. But I always have a Visa or MasterCard, too [emoji846]

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Which I think shows the difference between those areas with lots of American tourists and the rest of the UK. Living near Lincoln, we have a lot of European tourists, but virtually no Americans, and consequently there is no 'demand' for the acceptance of Amex.

Perhaps if Amex reviewed their comission percentage they would get more establishments to accept the card.

Sent from my SM-T700 using Forums mobile app

Perhaps you should come and live in rural Lincolnshire, and see how you get on.

I think I should eat a little humble pie regarding my last post. After some research, it appears more of the major supermarkets and chain restaurants accept Amex than I realised, so my apologies. However, the independent pubs, restaurants and small stores, at least in this part of the world, are very unlikely to welcome the card.

I think I should eat a little humble pie regarding my last post. After some research, it appears more of the major supermarkets and chain restaurants accept Amex than I realised, so my apologies. However, the independent pubs, restaurants and small stores, at least in this part of the world, are very unlikely to welcome the card.

Thanks for the follow up.

It did seem rather unlikely Tesco and Sainsbury's would be operating different systems, even out in the wilds.

The only major retailer I have found who won't take Amex is B&Q.

I wouldn't worry about the need to have both cards with zero transaction fees. After all, if your only zero-fee card is Amex, and you either lose it on Day 1 or else find that no-one in the country can be persuaded to accept it, then even if you spend say $2,000 outside of the USA, you're still only paying $50 or so extra fees. Which is a sum you prefer to keep, of course, but not worth running the extra mile to avoid - especially as it's a very small chance you'd have to pay it.

Thanks for the follow up.

It did seem rather unlikely Tesco and Sainsbury's would be operating different systems, even out in the wilds.

The only major retailer I have found who won't take Amex is B&Q.

I decided to double-check, and sure enough, I do have the Amex card on the Tesco Pay+ app. :o