Lynnwood, Seattle

Hi everyone

Does anyone know anything about the suburb of Lynnwood, Seattle? Is it a good suburb or sleazy area? Is there public transport to/from downtown Seattle?

Any information appreciated.

TIA

Mark

Lynnwood is just fine, north of Seattle. There is Alderwood mall nearby and it is just a run down I-5 to get to Seattle. Traffic might be a challenge, so leave plenty of time. I moved from the area many years ago so I am not up on the latest transportation to get down to the cruise terminals..

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Google is your friend - Seattle area transit schedules are among the many which have been integrated into their Maps. We drive through Lynnwood a lot, occasionally leaving the highway to grab a bite or gas within the town borders; it looks generically-commuter-towny to us, lots of residential streets with family homes and several big housing developments along I5.

Depending where you are in Lynnwood, and where you're going to in Seattle, you could potentially be there in comparable or maybe even less time than coming in from an airport hotel via LINK light rail (512 express buses take about 35mins from the transit center to near Pike Place downtown) but I would not want to be heading to the pier by bus - unless you're very light packers your bags won't have anywhere to be put on transit buses, so you'd be looking at a pretty pricey cab/Uber ride from Seatac and another back to the pier.

Airport hotels might not be any closer in terms of transit time, but they do have the big advantage of free shuttles (to LINK as well as departures/arrivals) and all of them also seem to be on shuttle routes to the pier for a pretty modest cost. You may be able to book a seat on a shared shuttle from Lynnwood too, I've never had to look into that as we've always been in our own car or staying in Seattle proper, but you'll have more options of affordable transport to pier from the airport or downtown areas.

Personally I'd never plan to stay anywhere that I was spending an hour+ daily on transit to go sightseeing if there was any other option on the table. Plus, ignore sightseeing - what about dining? The hotels popping up on Google in Lynnwood are concentrated along the highway which tends to mean you're looking at cheap to midrange chain restos if you plan to eat near where you're staying - so forget about coming 'home' to shower & change after sightseeing before heading out for a nice meal; if you want to take advantage of the nicer dining options in Seattle you're basically going to be out from morning to night.

If it's a price issue consider AirBnB which is legal in Seattle and generally keener-priced than hotels; look at Seattle Center hotels - that's our preferred 'hood when visiting as you can walk into downtown plus have several big attractions right on your doorstep. If you're tolerant of heat, or are coming early/late in the season for cruising, there are some bargain hotels which don't have AC but otherwise get good reviews for cleanliness, convenience like the Moore downtown or Mediterranean in Seattle Center (we've stayed here and would again without hesitation - but not in summer as I can't stand a hot bedroom).

• 2 weeks later...

If you're planning on staying away from downtown, then I would recommend staying by the airport. There is light rail close by that can take you downtown in 30 minutes and you don't have to deal with traffic which can take away time from downtown.