Barcelona pre-cruise hotel Fairmont Rey Juan Carlos or Cotton House?

ackieboy

Hi,

We are departing on April 11, 2018 on the Riviera from Barcelona. We are arriving on April 8, as my nephew is studying in Barcelona and we are going to meet up with him for a a few days and explore the city. I currently have two hotel reservations, one at the Fairmont Rey Juan Carlos and one at the Cotton House. I know that they are both very good hotels, but I was wondering, for those of you who have been to Barcelona before, which one was in a better location and also, from which one is it easier to get to the port. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Dean

Hi,

We are departing on April 11, 2018 on the Riviera from Barcelona. We are arriving on April 8, as my nephew is studying in Barcelona and we are going to meet up with him for a a few days and explore the city. I currently have two hotel reservations, one at the Fairmont Rey Juan Carlos and one at the Cotton House. I know that they are both very good hotels, but I was wondering, for those of you who have been to Barcelona before, which one was in a better location and also, from which one is it easier to get to the port. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Dean

My personal favorite is Hotel 1898, a beautiful old building on La Rambla. It's very convenient to getting to the port. If you decide on this hotel, be sure to request a room that does not face La Rambla - very noisy at night, since it's right in the middle of things. We have stayed there twice, and when we return to Barcelona, will again book there!

We stayed at the Cotton House in 2015, the year it opened. We thought the location was great, we walked all over the city. As a recall we took a cab to the port & it was quick & easy. We loved the hotel and we're sorry we only spent 2 nights there ~ it had the most comfortable bed I think I ever slept in.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Second big vote for the Cotton House. Beautiful property (former cotton company HQ, duh), great location, wonderful staff. Photos don't do it justice - rooms are small but updated. You will need to taxi to the port but its an easy and relatively short ride. Everything notable is easily walkable or take a bus to areas of Barcelona outside the central core.

The breakfast is great and wine selection is superb. We would return without question. Marriott has a number of these Autograph collection properties which we have really enjoyed.

In Riviera's maiden year, 2012, we stayed pre-cruise at Rey Juan Carlos. The hotel is situated on a large green space with lovely formal landscaping. The grounds are a joy to walk. The lobby is grand, service impeccable, and the restaurants did not disappoint. After all, it is a Fairmont. However, the location, while being relatively safe, was not one central to tourist attractions and did not lend itself to "walking around" much since there was not much to experience other than busy streets, office buildings, financial centers, health care, and the polo club and stadium very near the hotel.

I cannot say how far away the hotel is from the port, but I do remember the drive to be relatively short (about 15 minutes in typical Barcelona traffic) and the route taken passed some of the older areas with lots of ornate buildings and interesting architecture.

We are the type of people who like to walk out of the lobby and be right in the middle of things, but if that is not your preference, then Rey Juan Carlos may be a good match for you to rest and visit prior to your cruise.

Enjoy your trip!

For us the Arts Hotel at Port Olympic is the best. Love being on the water and the food choices are numerous. Being in Barcelona is great and it is wonderful that there are so many good hotels to choose from. Can not go wrong with the ones that have been mentioned here. Have a great trip. :):):)

We stayed at the Cotton House in 2016, Part of the Marriott, Autograph Collection. Really good breakfast served in the restaurant and roof terrace area- what was once the library (if I remember correctly), and a nice location for happy hour. A few blocks from Las Ramblas. Side note- great wine shop at the department store right on the main square at the top of the Ramblas- El Corte Ingles- stocked up there for our cruise.

For us the Arts Hotel at Port Olympic is the best. Love being on the water and the food choices are numerous. Being in Barcelona is great and it is wonderful that there are so many good hotels to choose from. Can not go wrong with the ones that have been mentioned here. Have a great trip. :):):)

Agree 100%.

We have been iin many hotels in Barcelona but the Arts tops them all. The rooms are spacious and beautiful with great water views. We also were able to walk all over from there. Treat yourselves to the fantastic club floor room and club with great service and food.

Edited by orchestrapal