How do you know if you'll become sea sick?

wrg11

DH and I will be taking our first cruise in April. How do you know if you'll get sick at sea?
If you get car sick or feel nauseous on a small boat or an amusement ride, you MIGHT get sea sick. The ship is pretty stable and you'll be busy with lots of distractions. The vast majority of passengers don't have any problems. A lot also depends on your cabin location; if you're not sure, book a cabin on the lowest deck mid-ship that you can and stay away from cabins on upper decks and any towards the front of the ship. Do not book a GTY because you could wind up anywhere on the ship.

In the states you can get them from Walmart or anywhere like that. They aren't hard to get. Cheaper then buying them on the ship.

If you are referring to the Scopalmine patch(the only drug I know of that comes in patch form)..it is by prescription only in the US...tho prices may vary..you will need a script..

Personally I think they can cause weird symptoms..

I prefer OTC things like Meclizine or Dramamine which now comes in a non drowsy formulation...tho if I am seasick sleep is a better option..

If you get car sick or feel nauseous on a small boat or an amusement ride, you MIGHT get sea sick. The ship is pretty stable and you'll be busy with lots of distractions. The vast majority of passengers don't have any problems. A lot also depends on your cabin location; if you're not sure, book a cabin on the lowest deck mid-ship that you can and stay away from cabins on upper decks and any towards the front of the ship. Do not book a GTY because you could wind up anywhere on the ship.

You describe my wife & she has sailed dozens of times following such things :D

As 'nurserosie' said, the patches had more side affects than other medication & meclizine (generic for the much more expensive Bonine) works best for my wife.

You describe my wife & she has sailed dozens of times following such things :D

As 'nurserosie' said, the patches had more side affects than other medication & meclizine (generic for the much more expensive Bonine) works best for my wife.

I always take my bonine with me. We were told sometimes the medical crew onboard prefer if you don't use the patch as in some people it can mimic symptoms of a stroke. As well as location of your cabin certain itineraries you may want to avoid until you know for sure. Caribbean seems to be the smoothest, and Pacific is generally a little choppier. Better to take something with you and not need it then be sick and not enjoy your trip.

Its not that bad. I have never gotten sea sick. Nor has anyone I have ever cruised with. Bring some patches just in case.

A good indication for me was that I suffer from nausea/vomiting in the back seat of a car.

I was sick on my first cruise and wouldn't wish it on anyone. Take a preventative if you are worried. Holidays are too short to lose one being sick.

Good luck.

I always take my bonine with me. We were told sometimes the medical crew onboard prefer if you don't use the patch as in some people it can mimic symptoms of a stroke. As well as location of your cabin certain itineraries you may want to avoid until you know for sure. Caribbean seems to be the smoothest, and Pacific is generally a little choppier. Better to take something with you and not need it then be sick and not enjoy your trip.

Symptoms of a stroke...that's not good!

The only symptoms she gets from meclizine is once in awhile slight sleepiness but not nearly as much as with Dramamine or the patch. Obviously any of these things may affect others differently & they need to ask their doctors if it's okay with medications they take regularly.

If you're comfortable with a generic, meclizine is much, much less expensive. ;)

I tend to get seasick so I take a Bonine (meclizine) every morning along with a natural ginger pill and then go on my way! I try to prevent it and have learned not to wait until I gets seasick. Most people do not get seasick. The patch gave me unwanted side effects although you will notice many patches behind cruisers ears! Oh - I always book a room on Emerald Deck mid ship!! I pass up the guarantees and book my room with a "do not upgrade". This way I am safe, although I am sure that I must have passed up opportunities for the upgrade fairy!

I tend to get sick easily on amusement park rides, but don't have any difficulty on cruises. Its a different type of motion.

I always carry Meclizine with me because of some of the small boat excursions that we enjoy such as some of the excursions on a catamaran. If it gets wavy on a small boat and we are not moving quickly I will take a meclizine pill to avoid motion sickness.

We traveled with friends last year. The lady was so fearful of getting motion sick that she fretted for quite a while before the cruise. She was pleasantly surprised at how little motion she felt. However as a precaution, for the first couple of days she took Meclizine since she felt it was easier to prevent feeling ill than deal with it later.

Anyway, bring some Meclizine with you. You can ask the pharmacist about it or buy it from Amazon.

Also, for the least amount of motion, its best to book a cabin on a lower deck and midship. If you are prone to motion sickness, avoid the cabins on the higher decks and cabins in the front.

I never got sick in cars or amusment parks or even boats on lakes but the first time we went fishing in Mexico I got sick. The smaller the boat the more likely i will get sick. I now always bring Meclizine but rarely need it on a big ship. It's those excursions that are problem.

First of all, as others have mentioned, most people don't get seasick, otherwise people wouldn't go on cruises. If you do happen to get seasick, note that it usually passes within a day (two at the most), and you will get your sea legs. Yes there is a very small number of people who get sick for longer, but the number is extremely small.

A good starting place is knowing what causes seasickness. It is now generally believed to be caused by a conflict between the eye (not seeing any motion) and the inner ear (sensing motion). If you are noticing any effects of the motion, the trick is to eliminate the conflict -- so be somewhere where you can see the horizon (and therefore the motion). Going up on deck is a great place, as you will get fresh air, which will help, and be able to see the motion. If you should need to go inside (to go to the bathroom, etc.), make it as brief as possible. Also, though it will seem counter-intuitive, eat normal meals. Stay away from greasy foods and don't overeat, but eat normally so that there is food in your stomach.

It has also been noted that the motion is not like a car or amusement park ride, and not like riding in a small boat either. A cruise ship does move in the seas, no ship is big enough to stop that, but the motion is a slower, more genteel motion. Cruise ships have stabilizers to minimize rolling motion (side-to-side), and ships endeavor to steer a course to minimize motion, but that is not always possible. Most passengers enjoy the motion.

There are some non-medical remedies/preventives. Clinical trials have proven the effectiveness of ginger in reducing motion sickness. You can take ginger pills (available in any drug store), eat candied ginger or ginger snaps or drink ginger ale, though you might have to drink a lot. This does not have to be started until just before the ship sails or even once you start getting ill, though you should take it in advance just in case.

Some people depend on sea bands, which apply accupressure to the wrist. These work for some people but not for everyone.

If you wish to take the medicine route, Bonine or Dramamine work for the vast majority of people. They are available over the counter. They should be started the morning the cruise starts.

If you have tried other remedies, and they have not worked, and you have an ongoing problem, a doctor might prescribe the patch -- a low-dose scopolamine treatment. These are not to be tried unless necessary, and have both some minor side effects, and the potential for serious side effects. If you know you need the patch, you should get a prescription a week or so in advance and try the patch on dry land. Most people just get a dry mouth, but there are some other serious side effects up to and including hallucinations.

Importantly, no do worry yourself into a problem. There is a mental component to seasickness, and some people essentially talk themselves into it. As I said, the vast majority of people have no problem whatsoever. Unless you really get motion sick, you likely will have to trouble on a cruise ship. If you should happen to, it will pass reasonably quickly, will be a manageable problem. Look forward to enjoying your cruise.

Basically, you'll find out VERY quickly once on the ship if you are.... And then once it hits, its almost impossibe to shake... IMO, I would take Bonine regardless just in case... It doesnt do any harm... Doesnt make you sleepy... You can still have your cocktails... I take one every day of the cruise... I tend to get carsick and have equilibrium problems so I cant live without the bonine!

Archived