Anyone cruised with Quark in Antartica?

oskidunker

I don't find a message board for them. I watched a video and the ship doesn't look great ocean diamond. I understand its the cruise of a lifetime but i am not really fond of hiking or kayaking.

I ask because my wife is interested. For the same price they are asking I could do a Crystal 2 week cruise there. Reports from there claim many get sea sick,especially on small ships .

Mods: if there is a place that this might belong I would be grateful

Yes. My husband, daughter and I went with Quark in 2005. We loved it! Ship had 100 passengers which was important to us. It allowed us all to disembark each time (usually twice per day). At that time, per the International Treaty, only 100 people could be on land at the same time. There were 8 scientists on board taking turns with lectures and presentations each day. Most passengers experienced some sea sickness traversing the Drake Passage, but that is to be expected. This was an adventure not a luxury cruise. But the food was excellent. The cabins small but functional. Wouldn't trade the experience for anything.

YES!! We were on their Sea Spirit last November. (She has since left their fleet, but was a sister to their Sea Explorer.) It was definitely our trip of a lifetime.

As "souschef" stated, having 100 passengers was also very important to us to maximize our time spent enjoying the White Continent.

We did not sign up for the kayaking option, but the zodiac trips are amazing. In fact, one afternoon we opted to just cruise around in the zodiac instead of landing. We did get in two expeditions (landing/zodiac cruise) per day. One regret was not participating in the Polar Plunge.

The expedition staff was excellent with scientists from many different fields. They were also always around to interact with during meals, cocktail hours, etc.

Breakfast and lunch were buffet style and dinner was served (one seating). If the weather was cooperating, lunch was also served on deck at the grill.

Highly recommend Quark for Antarctica.

Just looked up your Crystal option, looks like they do not do landings. If actually setting foot on the Continent is important to your wife, then you need to go with Quark or similar.

FYI, last year Quark ran a 50% off sale in September. We were past final payment :(.

We also took the opportunity to visit Iguazu Falls before flying to Ushuaia to begin the Antarctic adventure. (Had Brazilian visa and Argentina reciprocity fee already paid for from 2013 cruise around The Horn ;))

We took a Quark trip to below the Antarctic Circle in January 2015. It was a great trip. Once you decide on whether you are interested in a trip that does actual landings in Antarctica or a cruise-by, your choice will be clearer. We are traveling with Quark to the Arctic Circle next year.

If you look at the articles section in my blog, you can read a travel article I wrote on the Antarctica trip.

Bob

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
I went with Quark last winter, and it was fantastic. Quark did a fabulous job and I would definitely go with them again.

I detailed my trip here: http://66degrees.karenjacot.com/ if you want to read more about what Quark trips are like.

BoulderGirl - thanks for your blog posts. We've booked Quark for March 2017 specifically for their landings and have already begun shopping for gear. I was most appreciative for your insights on what you packed but DIDN'T use.