Gratuity Removal Too Easy?

spj8705

If we ever got bad service i would report the individual to his/her manager immediately and name them in the post cruise survey.

We would never ever stop the tips because that would affect other individuals as well

Agree. I feel the same way as grapau27 regarding reporting less than satisfactory service to his/her supervisor. Stopping the auto tips would adversely affect too many others that were performing outstanding service.

i said it before and ill say it again. not 1 of you "tippers" truly know where the tips go. if you feel inclined to leave the DSCs, so be it. at the end of the day, i guarantee every single one of you would give a smaller tip at a restaurant for bad service. but its OK to accept bad service in your room?

ill leave tips on every cruise from here on out if someone can tell me 100% where all the tips go and have proof to back it up.

It seems like the idea of tipping on your own isn't that new or horrible of an idea. Cruise critic has an article on it. https://www.cruisecritic.com/articles.cfm?ID=298

the entire thing is a scam. as i said, no one truly knows how the tips are dispensed. all i know is what i see. what i see is, when the room guys/waiters/staff go above and beyond, they get cash. do all of you who 'always leave tips on' also give an extra tip when the bartender pours you a drink? you're already paying 18%!!!

It seems like the idea of tipping on your own isn't that new or horrible of an idea. Cruise critic has an article on it. https://www.cruisecritic.com/articles.cfm?ID=298

Oh my. Some of our more, uh, "passionate" members that frequent tipping threads need to check the comments out in that article. Its very one sided. Go on, take a peek - guaranteed to get you all fired up!

Oh my. Some of our more, uh, "passionate" members that frequent tipping threads need to check the comments out in that article. Its very one sided. Go on, take a peek - guaranteed to get you all fired up!

Didn't read all the comments, seemed to be a bunch of Brit's saying American's are stupid.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Forums mobile app

Everyone seems to love assuming things. How do you know they didn't approach someone earlier about the issues they may have had? Maybe they never resolved the issue and they felt the full tip amount was not warranted and they will leave a lesser tip? I had a room steward who never showed up on a 7 day cruise. We had to make the bed into a queen from the twin setup even had to call for towels and all sorts of things. I complained to customer service and housekeeping manager on the 3rd day and almost everyday till the end of the cruise. All i got was excuses.. i removed the tips and tipped everyone except the room steward.

Question..... You tipped everyone else....???? How about the guy(s) clearing the tables in the buffet, how about the pool attendants, how about the person(s) flipping burgers, How about the crew handling the luggage. The list goes on and on. To say you tipped everyone else is simply wrong.

I googled up the meaning of "agree to disagree".

I agree. ;)

Here it is:

"If you think about it, agreeing to disagree simply means coming to an understanding with someone that you have a difference of opinion. When you agree to disagree, you acknowledge that neither person is going to convince the other person to change his or her mind, so you might as well stop arguing and move on"!

the entire thing is a scam. as i said, no one truly knows how the tips are dispensed. all i know is what i see. what i see is, when the room guys/waiters/staff go above and beyond, they get cash. do all of you who 'always leave tips on' also give an extra tip when the bartender pours you a drink? you're already paying 18%!!!

As a matter of fact , I do. And they appreciate it alot and take excellent care of me.

I agree. ;)

Here it is:

"If you think about it, agreeing to disagree simply means coming to an understanding with someone that you have a difference of opinion. When you agree to disagree, you acknowledge that neither person is going to convince the other person to change his or her mind, so you might as well stop arguing and move on"!

Where's the fun in that? Love a good tipping thread on a rainy day. ;p:D

I agree. ;)

Here it is:

I can't argue with that.

We always remove our tips now and tip people who serve us,room attendant,waiters,bar staff and other workers on ship if they make our holiday a good one.On Navigator oct this year we got a letter with envelopes saying we had canceled our grats and we could put money in them for tips.Think they tried to shame us.

We always remove our tips now and tip people who serve us,room attendant,waiters,bar staff and other workers on ship if they make our holiday a good one.On Navigator oct this year we got a letter with envelopes saying we had canceled our grats and we could put money in them for tips.Think they tried to shame us.

If you remove your auto tips and then tip your waiter/stateroom attendant separately if you think they made your holiday a good one, you are not doing them any favors. If you remove auto tips then tip separately, they have to turn in those tips to the "pool." So, for example, you remove your tips and give your stateroom attendant $100 at the end of the cruise, he has to turn in that $100 to the pool, so he may only end up getting $50. Same with your waiter. The only exception is a bartender. If you tip them individually, they get to keep it all.

I know it's not your custom, but if you are cruising, the best solution is to leave on the auto tips and let the ship sort it out.

If you remove your auto tips and then tip your waiter/stateroom attendant separately if you think they made your holiday a good one, you are not doing them any favors. If you remove auto tips then tip separately, they have to turn in those tips to the "pool." So, for example, you remove your tips and give your stateroom attendant $100 at the end of the cruise, he has to turn in that $100 to the pool, so he may only end up getting $50. Same with your waiter. The only exception is a bartender. If you tip them individually, they get to keep it all.

I know it's not your custom, but if you are cruising, the best solution is to leave on the auto tips and let the ship sort it out.

We are definitely not in favour of removing the Daily Service Charge but.... how would the ship management know if a crew member, i.e. attendant, waiter etc. received a tip in Ca$h and how much?

Do Ca$h tips have GP$ tracker???

;)

We are definitely not in favour of removing the Daily Service Charge but.... how would the ship management know if a crew member, i.e. attendant, waiter etc. received a tip in Ca$h and how much?

Do Ca$h tips have GP$ tracker???

;)

It's immediate expulsion if they pocket the tips and don't turn it into the pool. Everyone on the ship knows that a particular stateroom has removed their auto tips. They'll be questioned.

It's immediate expulsion if they pocket the tips and don't turn it into the pool. Everyone on the ship knows that a particular stateroom has removed their auto tips. They'll be questioned.

And by what 'clairvoyance' method do they know how much Ca$h was given to the attendant or waiter?

How do they know...:confused: ... when instead of turning $100.00 into the pool, the attendant/waiter "pockets" $20.00 and puts $80.00 into the pool??