What is the toilet in my room up to?

rabidstoat

When I press the button to flush my toilet, sometimes it flushes immediately. More often, though, it takes 2 to 10 seconds to actually flush. While it's waiting, it makes this high pitch whining noise.

What's going on here? Why is there sometimes a variable delay for the toilet to flush? Is it contemplating its life choices? Considering going on strike? Can adjacent toilets not flush at the same time lest the cabins explode so they have to coordinate?

http://vacuum.jetsgroup.com/en/Sanitary-systems/How-does-it-work.aspx

I'm pretty sure the delay is when the system needs to build up the vacuum necessary to pull the waste- there are likely multiple toilets on the same vacuum pump, and if one has recently flushed the system may still be priming itself when you press your button.

When I press the button to flush my toilet, sometimes it flushes immediately. More often, though, it takes 2 to 10 seconds to actually flush. While it's waiting, it makes this high pitch whining noise.

What's going on here? Why is there sometimes a variable delay for the toilet to flush? Is it contemplating its life choices? Considering going on strike? Can adjacent toilets not flush at the same time lest the cabins explode so they have to coordinate?

There is a partial blockage in the vacuum lines downstream somewhere from your cabin. The delay is caused while vacuum builds up, or possibly the mechanical timer mechanism is needing maintenance. This timer is operated by vacuum as well.

I have seen delays in the flush flush that were a lot longer than a few seconds, maybe like a half hour or so. By that time I had forgotten that the toilet didn't flush so it freaked me out when it suddenly flushed and no one was even in the bathroom. This has happened to me a couple of times.

I'm glad you asked this question! I've experienced the same thing in my cabin on Carnival, and always wondered the same things you're asking.

Wikipedia defines delayed gratification (which is what I'm guessing you're describing) as: "Delayed gratification, or deferred gratification, is the ability to resist the temptation for an immediate reward and wait for a later reward. Generally, delayed gratification is associated with resisting a smaller but more immediate reward in order to receive a larger or more enduring reward later."

Edited by winddawn

Thanks for asking!! :D I've noticed this on several of my cruises and not just with Carnival. Sometime it takes longer than a few seconds to flush, more like a minute or 2. I just keep hitting the button until it flushes, haha. I've never heard a high pitched whining noise though, that's a new one. Just out of curiosity, what ship are you on?