Live from QM2 July getaway voyage

grandsix

We are in process of winding down a glorious July Getaway Voyage aboard the QM2. The weather has cooperated and the voyage has been as smooth as glass. Congradulations to Captain Wells, Staff Captain Camby, Chief Engineer Keir, Staff Chief Engeneer Towers, Environmental officer Nugent and the entire bridge for their fine work thus far.

Embarkation was quite smooth for us. Thanks to "Billet" who organized a very friendly Cruise Critic Meeting attended by about 30 people in the Commodore Club. Cunard was represented by 3 very informative people who seem to have a bright future with Cunard. Asst. Food and Beverage Manager Paul Hamilton, Asst. Entertainment director Johanna Holqqvist and Social Hostess Jennifer Schaper. The Service, Food and Entertainment has been Excellent. We feel this is a well manged Ocean Liner with special credit due to Hotel Manager Robert Howie, Food and Beverage Manager Rudi Lanier and of course Entertainmnt Director Ray Rouse.

Well we are off to formal dinner and then the senior officers cocktail party. We will finish the night with another great cast show and dancing in the Queens room and G32.

So, Paul Hamilton has been promoted. I am sure he will be missed in the Commodore club.

Paul has many fond memories in the Commodore Club and of the many fine guests. He says he enjoys the challenges of his new assignment.

Another lovely evening, there was music all around the ship. Special recognition to guests "Punkie" and her husband who lived up totheir promise to dance the night away. Everyone on this great ocean liner is so friendly.

Our last day at sea and it is quite foggy and somewhat cool this morning.

Entertainment Director Ray has put together a full program of interesting guest lecturers, an afternoon performance of Romeo & Juliet presented by the talented RADA performers. Book signing by Captain wells who will shortly be going on holiday, the must see daily Planetarium film, guest talent show, trivia, wine tasting for Platinum and Diamond guests. tea dance with the queens orchestra and a host of other activities.

Will report more soon!!!!!!!!!!!!

My wife and son and I are alos on this cruise. I has been a wonderful voyage. Very foggy for the past 15 hours--the horn has been sounded every minute or so.

The ship is in wonderful shape. We've had a few minor service issues in the dining room, but they were attended to quickly and efficiently.

My wife and son and I are alos on this cruise. I has been a wonderful voyage. Very foggy for the past 15 hours--the horn has been sounded every minute or so.

The ship is in wonderful shape. We've had a few minor service issues in the dining room, but they were attended to quickly and efficiently.

What we like about the dining room management and the F&B management is that when they become aware of a glitch, they make every effort to remedy the situation as per the "White Star" standards.

I am sooo jealous.. i left the ship after 18 days on her on july 2 upon returning to new york from southampton....the ship is in wonderful shape and the staff excellent.. there is so much to do on board.. I loved the planetarium shows, we even had an astronomy lecturer on part of our cruise... how about those guys in the band..the qm2 orchestra plus VIBZ in G32..the ship is definitely a late nite ship.. lots of music venues till late.. they are amazing.. we shut down the place every nite. the ship(oops liner) glides thru the seas...capt. wells announced rough seas one morning and you never would have known it if he hadn't mentioned it.. surprised he is going off on holiday as he just joined the ship.. we had commodore Warner till june 24 who also had a book signing...don't miss the show rock @the opera.. ..I have friends doing the 90 day world cruise in jan.. and am thinking of joining them..

Winding down our last evening on board. Service is excellent in Britannia this go-round. Had many service glitches in the past. Not so this time- excellent! We had table 81, right in front of the Tapestry.

We do miss Paul Ritchie, the singer, who has gone on to the QE2. Maybe he'll be back in the future!

Had a great time visiting the ports and only 2 sea days- we need a vacation!

Just enjoyed Campbell Simpson in the Commodore Club and Mark Hodgson in the Chart room all week!

We'll be back.

Charles- if you are reading this- I signed the CC log book right after your entry.

We did dance the night away every single night and had an absolutely wonderful time. My feet are finally getting into shape to dance several hours a day, so it is a shame indeed that we have to go home.

Each of us managed very nicely with the clothes we were able to stuff into our respective roll aboards, (Joe did put his tux and suit jacket into a garment bag) and both of us had outfits left unworn.

Having only one bag each made disembarkation a breeze. We had self-help cards, but waited until they called the first group and left with them. While they were collecting their luggage, we whizzed through customs in just a minute or two.

It was fabulous to meet so many really nice people and enjoy the luxury of having someone else do all of the work for a few days. We can't wait until next year.

Seems most passengers had an enjoyable sailing. We had a great time. Debarkation was pretty easy and we arrived home. Miss being back on the QM2 already. Who is going to pick up our bath towels tonight. Returning next month 8/7 & 8/13 for transatlantic voyage. Captain Wells told us he is going on holiday before then.

Someone mentioned the talented Paul Ritchie who we have always enjoyed.

Doug Acosta currently singing with the Queens Room orchestra has a fabulous voice and received many guest compliments. Unfortunately, his contract is expiring and he will not be returning to Cunard real soon. Maybe Paul will be returning to the QM2.

It is really exciting to know that all of you had such a fabulous time on this cruise. Thanks for the reports. Punki, I am so envious of your packing skills!!! You are proof that you can dress elegantly every night and fly with only one bag per person.

Beth

It is really exciting to know that all of you had such a fabulous time on this cruise. Thanks for the reports. Punki, I am so envious of your packing skills!!! You are proof that you can dress elegantly every night and fly with only one bag per person.

Beth

Some of the reasons there were so many people enjoying themselves was

the great ports, a very wide selection of activities day and night. Live music everywhere during the evening. Even a lunch time Dixieland Jam on the last day in the Golden Lion Pub. Thank you Entertainment Director Ray Rouse.

Very friendly staff trying their best to please the passengers. Great service in the dining venues. Great job Snr. Maitre D' Sandro, Queens & Princess Grill Maitre'D Jamie, Todd English M.D' Laurence, Britanna M.D' Sasha and Oliver. Kings Court M.D' David and all the hardworking wait staff from all the restaurants. Wonderful efficient and friendly cabin stewards. And how can we forget the young polite professionals at the Pursers desk led by Chief Purser Chantel Mooiman. And last but not least, a real nice group of passengers.

I have heard Mark on another QM2 cruise and think he is great. I will be on the ship at the end of September. Does any one know if he will be on then?

Thanks for any info.

Carole

I have heard Mark on another QM2 cruise and think he is great. I will be on the ship at the end of September. Does any one know if he will be on then?

Thanks for any info.

Carole

Hi Carole, sorry we could not make out who you are asking about? Is the person in question Mark? What department did he work in?

Grandsix, thank you for taking the time to reply. The Mark I am referring to plays in the Chart Room and is referred to by Sealegs. Mark plays jazz.

Have a lovely weekend.

Carole

Grandsix, thank you for taking the time to reply. The Mark I am referring to plays in the Chart Room and is referred to by Sealegs. Mark plays jazz.

Have a lovely weekend.

Carole

Oh! you are talking about Mark Hodgson and his trio. They played Jazz pretty much each night from 9:30pm till late. They are terrific. Will be back in August and will try and find out info for you if we remember.

We are still both floating in a bubble of joyful cruise euphoria. :)

Last night Joe said, "I don't think that anybody who doesn't dance could ever understand how much fun we had on that cruise". How true!

We are still both floating in a bubble of joyful cruise euphoria. :)

Last night Joe said, "I don't think that anybody who doesn't dance could ever understand how much fun we had on that cruise". How true!

You guys certainly looked like you were having fun dancing till the late night in the Queens room

Lucky indeed. We are sooooooooo jealous. :)

BTW, Grandsix, having been on the ship so long, do you happen to know when and where the crew attend Catholic Mass? I just noticed that there were no crew at the one qualifying Sunday Mass on the ship that we attended.

Lucky indeed. We are sooooooooo jealous. :)

BTW, Grandsix, having been on the ship so long, do you happen to know when and where the crew attend Catholic Mass? I just noticed that there were no crew at the one qualifying Sunday Mass on the ship that we attended.

Punkie, that's a good question, we never thought about it, but will get an answer when we board next month. As you know, Sunday Catholic Mass is held in Alluminations and this voyage was conducted by Father William Kelly. Every time we have been on board, a Catholic Priest has always been there. He also does the non denominational renewal of vows on each voyage.

We would also suspect, but not sure, that many of the crew are of the Muslim faith. Perhaps some of our other Cruise Critic neighbors would know more.

I suspect that that is the case, Finch. I just wish I had thought to ask Fr. Kelly when I was talking with him. I think that many of the staff are Fillipinos and they are predominately Catholic, so that is what got me thinking. I also met a number of Malaysian staff members who may well have been Muslims.

In Hong Kong, most of the domestic staff are Fillipinos. We were really surprised when walking through the park one Sunday morning to find a huge open-air Mass in progress. Sunday is the traditional day-off for domestic help in Hong Kong.

Archived