CC review gives false expectations

Balloon Man

This is what the Cruise Critic review of the Queen's and Princess Grill dinning rooms says about breakfast: "dishes range from a full English or American breakfast (true) to the more extravagant petit fillet mignon with fried eggs and hash brown potatoes."

Not any more. Sadly costs appear to have been cut. It's now the same menu as Britannia.

King's Court buffet offers a wider choice.

This is what the Cruise Critic review of the Queen's and Princess Grill dinning rooms says about breakfast: "dishes range from a full English or American breakfast (true) to the more extravagant petit fillet mignon with fried eggs and hash brown potatoes."

Not any more. Sadly costs appear to have been cut. It's now the same menu as Britannia.

Not sure why we are booked in Queens Grill except for the real estate. Cunard may not be for us after Crystal where they never say NO!!

Well it must be a recent cutback then because we had Fillet Mignon in QG on QE in October.

and is still on the example menu on Cunard's website.

I was in QG on a TA in December and remember seeing a full American or English breakfast on the menu, including Eggs Benedict even on disembarkation morning. If there are cuts it had to be very recent. If steak and eggs are one's favorite a word to Osman or whomever is the Maitre D' will see that it is available. I even had a table mate who brought a can of Spam! Osman took it to the galley where Spam and eggs were prepared for him. Stuff like this cannot be made up.

(Cue up

.)

Not sure why we are booked in Queens Grill except for the real estate. Cunard may not be for us after Crystal where they never say NO!!

IMHO the major benefit of Queens Grill is indeed the real estate, the much larger stateroom, which is indeed lovely. Way better than the tiny standard staterooms on Crystal, which are quite small, although well-designed. And on the side, QG & Princess Grill class passengers have access to the Grills Lounge, which is quite nice. We love it before lunch for coffee and solitude.

Must admit looking at the new menus on Cunard's website they have certainly been downgraded and not as good a choice as when we went on in October. Cannot see any real reason why to pay extra for QG/PG as we always booked for the superior choice of food and do not think the new menu justifies paying the charges per night for QG/PG.

Must admit looking at the new menus on Cunard's website they have certainly been downgraded and not as good a choice as when we went on in October. Cannot see any real reason why to pay extra for QG/PG as we always booked for the superior choice of food and do not think the new menu justifies paying the charges per night for QG/PG.

That's a slightly pessimistic way of looking at things. Shorter menus don't mean less choice as you can still ask for whatever you want in QG, including dishes no longer on the a la carte. Plus luxuries like caviar which only appeared on the daily menu once but which people were eating every evening.

That's a slightly pessimistic way of looking at things. Shorter menus don't mean less choice as you can still ask for whatever you want in QG, including dishes no longer on the a la carte. Plus luxuries like caviar which only appeared on the daily menu once but which people were eating every evening.

What type of caviar is available.

David

We had the full breakfast menu in December on QE, the same as the one currently listed on the Cunard site. I went off menu a couple of times, after it was OK'd by the maître' d. My next table neighbour had caviar served, sorry, don't know what type!

My wife has some dietary requirements, and these was dealt with extremely well.

Not pessimistic but why reduce the menu if as you say you can order anything "off menu" why not just leave it on the menu then. Is it a case is they are reducing costs in hoping that if not on menu nobody or very few will order "off menu". We were never once asked if there was anything "off menu" or anything special we would like to order at any time during our cruise.

... We were never once asked if there was anything "off menu" or anything special we would like to order at any time during our cruise.
The opposite was true in Nov/Dec '16 on QM2 in the Caribbean; almost every evening Osman or my stewards would earnestly encourage me to order "off menu" and were almost disappointed that I continuously chose something from the extensive menu choices available.

Maybe next time...

Not pessimistic but why reduce the menu if as you say you can order anything "off menu" why not just leave it on the menu then. Is it a case is they are reducing costs in hoping that if not on menu nobody or very few will order "off menu". We were never once asked if there was anything "off menu" or anything special we would like to order at any time during our cruise.

I really don't buy this 'loss of choice' thing, the a la carte is shorter than a year ago but it changes weekly. The 'old' a la carte menu which was on Cunard's web site in April last year had 12 starters and 13 main courses. The current a la carte menu has 7 starters and 12 main courses: over the course of two menus there were 11 different starters and 17 different main courses on my cruise on QE in December (one week of that menu is the current example a la carte). The only part of the menu which didn't change at all was the 'order by lunchtime' main course section, otherwise 3 starters and one main course repeated.

I really don't buy this 'loss of choice' thing, the a la carte is shorter than a year ago but it changes weekly. The 'old' a la carte menu which was on Cunard's web site in April last year had 12 starters and 13 main courses. The current a la carte menu has 7 starters and 12 main courses: over the course of two menus there were 11 different starters and 17 different main courses on my cruise on QE in December (one week of that menu is the current example a la carte). The only part of the menu which didn't change at all was the 'order by lunchtime' main course section, otherwise 3 starters and one main course repeated.

I am not referring to the a la carte menu as such more the number of choices which you had to order at lunchtime in advance. The number and choice of these has definitely diminished since our last cruise on QE in Oct 2017.