Gem replaces Dawn in 2019

SailBadtheSinner

Its nice that Boston will have a different ship for once. Though, I understand the NYers are upset they are getting the Dawn.

We’ve been on the Dawn and not the newer Gem so can’t compare, and friends who go to Bermuda several times a year like the newer (and larger) NCL ships and are looking forward to the Gem out of Beantown in 2019. But we have also seen numerous comparisons from other folks preferring the Dawn over the Gem for various reasons, including having more character, and the open atrium versus the claustrophobic feel on the Gem. So the Dawn does have a fan club...

We’ve been on the Dawn and not the newer Gem so can’t compare, and friends who go to Bermuda several times a year like the newer (and larger) NCL ships and are looking forward to the Gem out of Beantown in 2019. But we have also seen numerous comparisons from other folks preferring the Dawn over the Gem for various reasons, including having more character, and the open atrium versus the claustrophobic feel on the Gem. So the Dawn does have a fan club...

I think you're confusing the design of the Gem with that of the newer ships such as the Breakaway. The Gem and Dawn although not members of the same class of ships are in most aspects similar in design, as well as similar in size and passenger capacity. The Gem has an open atrium similar in design to the Dawn. It's the Breakaway class that has the claustrophobic, crowded feel.

I think you're confusing the design of the Gem with that of the newer ships such as the Breakaway. The Gem and Dawn although not members of the same class of ships are in most aspects similar in design, as well as similar in size and passenger capacity. The Gem has an open atrium similar in design to the Dawn. It's the Breakaway class that has the claustrophobic, crowded feel.

Thanks. Perhaps I misread the posts stating the Gem atrium was more claustrophobic, or the posters were referencing the wrong ship...

:D Los Lobos Cantina on Dawn has a fan club. :hearteyes:

• 2 weeks later...

I’d be happy about Gem in Boston if we didn’t drive to NYC twice to sail on her.

I wish NCL sent us Perl, Jade or Star ... ships we didn’t sail on.

I loved Gem after refurbishing , much better color scheme, plus Great Outdoors is nicer than kids area. But we loved Atrium with glass elevators better on Dawn.

• 2 months later...